• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any way to play Civilization 3 without a CD?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Long story short, my friend ended up loaning me this Jewel's Pack Civilization 3 game 2 years ago (I dunno why I didn't uninstall it by now) and now that I've gotten the urge to play it again, I can't play it without a CD. Anyone mind helping me out here? I ended up giving the CD back and I really don't feel like asking him for that CD again :/.....

Btw, I have everything installed and everything, I just still need the CD to actually PLAY the game...

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
You might be able to get the Steam version. I can't imagine that one requiring a disc.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Alright, so I got a patch and initially it couldn't find files like bink32.dll and such and I found them and reinstalled them again. Now I'm getting this

Runtime Error!

Program:
...ACHE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX39.068\CivConquests.exe

This application has requuired the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information

...ok what do I do now?

MacNCheese.

Smash Ace
Alright, so I got a patch and initially it couldn't find files like bink32.dll and such and I found them and reinstalled them again. Now I'm getting this Please contact the application's support team for more information
Answered :bee: d

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Crack is your best bet. Download and paste into the root folder or whatever lol

Difficult to find cracks for older games

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Cracks are ILLEGAL!

Just ask for the CD. Or buy it. It's not that rare.
Not really. Cracks are often used illegally, but using it to recover rightfully purchased content is fair game. ;)

blahman179

Smash Cadet
Soooo, no one here is afraid of suggesting a crack?

It is piracy either way, but w/e, your life.

Edit: Right, cracks aren't really illegal per se, if it's made form your own program, it isn't.

But distributing it is.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
blahman179, if you accidentally locked your fridge, would you never open it again? ;)

blahman179

Smash Cadet
blahman179, if you accidentally locked your fridge, would you never open it again? ;)
Really, I don't know if your being sarcastic or not, but I've had a long day trying to fix the ancient GeForce card that lies in the heart of my 7 year old computer...

Edit: Allright, I get the jist of what your saying.

To be honest, I might was well be in a pirate costume right now, because that's how I got 60% of the programs I have.

cracks can be dangerous if they aren't from a reliable source.

If someone can tell me wether or not we can post links to files, I can find one.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Frankly, DRM is just a massive waste of my time. My wife had to call Sony recently because our video editing software stopped activating. It kills me that whether I need to reinstall software needs to be cleared by the authors. The least these companies can do is offer some kind of deactivation mechanism like Adobe's design suite. It's stupid that I cannot inform Microsoft that I need to reinstall Windows; I just have to call them and beg them to activate the software I paid for.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
adobe does a lot of cool things but i do not like how i have to restart my computer after all my updates >:C

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I'm in the middle of replacing my motherboard after already inserting a defective board and having my Windows 7 key essentially soulbind to that particular configuration. Now, I know it is going to yell at me and accuse me of pirating it for being in a new environment.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Yes, I do smart ***: Does the person who started this topic need a crack, or is he through with this nonsense?

Edit: Oh, and replacing a motherboard isn't relevant with a discussion on playing C4 without a disc.
We'll find out if he responds again.

I'm not changing the discussion to replacing my motherboard. I'm using it to point out the absurdity of such copy protections and why people should not be afraid to use cracks to liberate stuff they paid for.

The discussion is on playing Civ 3, not Civ 4.

Chill out.

Top Bottom