• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any uses for up+b other than recovery?

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
Hi im one of those wolf players who don't spam the 4 moves of doom so can anyone tell me any great uses for it in competitve play that can get peos with it?

§witch

Smash Lord
Ok, I dunno what "poes" are but if you take your opponent by surprise you can sweep the stage and because of the kick, get some good knockback, that's about all it's good for.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That move can also be used offensively. Although the damage it does is pretty small, the knockback is still manageable.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
yeah just make sure you hit full on with it because if you don't the lag time is going to get you killed.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
It can be used offensively, sometimes as a finisher: if you knock the opponent high you can pursue with the flying kick. If they have taken enough damage it can kill off the top. But mostly use it for recovery, even then you are often better off using Wolf Flash for that.

Experiment with the moves, see what you make of them.

Kikuichimonji

Smash Apprentice
Wolf's Up-B is fast and has decent knockback. I think it does around 9 damage if you hit with the whole thing. The problem is that, although it sends you a pretty good distance, the opponent can just shield/dodge it and punish you while you recover. So you have to be pretty sure that it will hit to be worth it. It does have some limited use upwards against enemies in the air. But once again, if you miss, you get punished and might eat an aerial or a smash.

I could see it being mildly useful as a way to get out of juggling at high %'s, especially on stages like battlefield where you can just go straight through the floating platforms. However, the lag for it if you hit the ground is atrocious, and the startup lag usually makes it not the *best* option, in comparison to a reflector, dair, nair, or air dodge. However, having a variety of options is crucial to keep your opponents guessing, so it really depends on the situation.

tl;dr: Wolf's Up+B is definitely useful, but it's not a technically optimal choice for approaching or recovering (in general).

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Nah kash, I use it sometimes, it can be good as a surprise attack. Not saying make it a part of your normal attacks, but don't count it out.
Like, maybe if you use it once every two matches.

A list of why you shouldn't use it for anything but recovering:

1. Crappy damage
2. Decent knockback, but it won't kill anyone unless you are super close to the boundary.
3. If you're thinking, "Hey, I can kill them with my Up B now," chances are, there are a lot better options to use if they are at that high of a percent.
4. If you're thinking, "Hey, I can hit them with my Up B now," chances are, there are a lot better options to use.
5. Many characters can interrupt you mid attack, ie Marth can up B out of it, Fox can shine out of it, and it can BE DIed OUT OF!!!
6. It is easily punishable and dodgeable
7. If it sucks for recovering, what makes you think it'll be any better for attacking?

The only time I'd recommend using it (and I still don't recommend it) is when a Snake is recovering high about the stage because sometimes (rarely) you can hit and kill them. Even then, though, these scenarios tend to happen:
1. You will be killed by a Snake Uair instead
2. Be punished when you land
3. Won't kill him and still possibly punished when you land.
4. Sitting and waiting for him to come back down is a better idea

dream theater

Smash Cadet
Like, maybe if you use it once every two matches.

A list of why you shouldn't use it for anything but recovering:

1. Crappy damage
2. Decent knockback, but it won't kill anyone unless you are super close to the boundary.
3. If you're thinking, "Hey, I can kill them with my Up B now," chances are, there are a lot better options to use if they are at that high of a percent.
4. If you're thinking, "Hey, I can hit them with my Up B now," chances are, there are a lot better options to use.
5. Many characters can interrupt you mid attack, ie Marth can up B out of it, Fox can shine out of it, and it can BE DIed OUT OF!!!
7. If it sucks for recovering, what makes you think it'll be any better for attacking?

The only time I'd recommend using it (and I still don't recommend it) is when a Snake is recovering high about the stage because sometimes (rarely) you can hit and kill them. Even then, though, these scenarios tend to happen:
1. You will be killed by a Snake Uair instead
2. Be punished when you land
3. Won't kill him and still possibly punished when you land.
4. Sitting and waiting for him to come back down is a better idea
You're wrong, I use it across a stage with other players and it kills them all the time. Everyone thinks it's cheap because of the kick at the end, that's a killer.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
These two.

But meh, the way I've seen it, it applies at just one time: A horizontal attack across the stage, just when your opponent thinks you're never going to use up-B to attack, and you get him.

But a dash attack has the same applications. An up-B is just more surprising.

Sometimes it's a last resort move for me, when I'm in the air. Yes, it only applies when I've screwed up, but it's better then being forced to air dodge and being punished more thanks to pure predictability.

§witch

Smash Lord
I'm just saying it should rarely be used in your arsenal.

Dream theater, try not to join speech and debate team.
Hah ha, you've got it out for him don'tcha? And I agree it shouldn't be a main attack (which I already stated, by the way) it's takes away the surprise if you use it alot, which is all it's good for.

dr0go

Smash Apprentice
whos advice should i take?the advice from somebody that mains wolf and says it should only be used for recovery(I think that too) or to the guy who mains IKE and says it is good for aproach?
OMG i dont know.what should i do?

dream theater

Smash Cadet
I main wolf, and it works for me, but if you use it too much per match they are going to expect it. When I use wolf against another wolf I usually expect them to do the up+b horizontally so I dodge back and fsmash them. If you don't want to take the risk then you should probably listen to whoever says to only use it for recovery, just to be safe.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Hmm, I've been trying to use this move more, and I found that if you shorthop backwards and then immediately up B in the other direction, you can do a little "dodge and parry" technique because of how far back the "charge" causes you to float.

At that range, it's not too easy to punish Wolf's attack either.

I also use this just to make lunges at unsuspecting opponents across the screen after various juggles and stuff. But never as an approach. and yes, it is unsafe on block. Just like a lot of Wolf's attacks.

Wulfstan

Smash Rookie
i use the up+b move all the time. the move is very useful for matches with 2-3 opponets. all you have to do is time it correctly, jump right above them, and do the move. there will be a split second(just like with fox's and falco's) where you will be able to change the direction. that's when i press down. it doesn't doo much damage, but can help you get the smash ball due to continues hits during the attack.

-Wulfstan

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
After awhile, I learned that the third jump shouldn't be used too much offensively. Eventually it becomes predictable.

dr0go

Smash Apprentice
To learn if wolf's upB is useful or not you have to run an easy test!!

STEP #1:use it against a noob who is using captain falcon.Do an upB.If he then does a move where captain falcon goes like FALCOOOOOON PUUUUUUUUUUUUUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and you get KOed
it is not working.

STEP # 2:use it against a noob who is using ganondorf.Do an upB.ih he then does a move where his fist turns purple and he goes like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUSUCKAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! and you get KOed
it is not working.

STEP # 3:use it against a NOOB who is using falco.do an upB.if he then perfect shields chaingrabs you until you have 52% damage. then the NOOB does a dash attack cancels it with un Usmash jumps,does a back air,then the NOOB jumps again and spikes you and you get KOed.
it is not working.

IF AT LEAST 2 OUT OF THESE 3 TESTS GETS YOU HIT OR KOed THEN USE UPB ONLY FOR RECOVERY.

dr0go

Smash Apprentice
then that means the ocassional upB is good yet you cant use it as a regular attack until a very rare ocurrence pops out.

btw your friend is not a noob but metaknight is a very light character

Top Bottom