• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any tips on how to become a better Toon Link/Cloud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elixir Soup

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stickkid12
3DS FC
5069-4931-8546
I'm a Toon Link main and play Cloud frequently as well. I have been playing Smash since October 2014 but I mained Toon Link and Cloud recently. I used to play as Toon Link in Brawl too. Anyway, I play For Glory 1-on-1 a lot and it's the only mode I play (aside from when I have my friends over) so I have had a lot of practice and I know quite a bit about the game. Unfortunately, I have a win rate of 50.30% . Although quite a lot of that is against spammers etc but quite a lot of that is just me doing stupid things. So basically, if there are any Toon Link or Cloud mains out there, please give me some advice! Also if anyone wants to play online with me sometime we can do that too. I want to get better at this game, it's the only game I play competitively!

Lonkthetim

Smash Rookie
If you're looking to better your Toon Link I would suggest that you try to work on tricks like hit confirms with boomerang and glide tossing your bombs. Toon Link is best at range zoning out the opponent and racking up damage while halting an approach because if your opponent gets through your bombardment of projectiles against your will there's a good chance you're gonna get bodied. TL's aerials all have decent killing power (sans n-air) but usually leave you open for attack. What I'd suggest is trying to get a hit with your boomerang into one of your aerials. I feel like you already know this because you're not an idiot but DO NOT D-AIR IN NEUTRAL OR WHILE GETTING BACK ON THE STAGE, TL's d-air has some pretty nasty end lag and I'd really only suggest using it for its meteor hit box. Bombs are going to be crucial as TL because they are so ****ing good for combos and in low level play can even get you some solid shield pressure. Your up-B is a pretty decent vertical recovery and can be lengthened by bombs if you don't mind getting hit but horizontally it's pretty bad, luckily since you have a tether you work around this problem, TL's z-air is honestly pretty good as is so use it when you feel you have to throw out a move. With TL you have pretty decent options if you can get the grab, b-throw is a kill throw as I'm sure you know, forward throw is good way to create distance between you and the opponent, up throw is pretty good for combos and down throw has some very specific set ups. With Cloud you're on for glory so you should get the w a lot simply by default.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I wouldn't worry about your percentage on For Glory. I don't think people are going to consider that when they play you. Besides, I know it'll never be 100%, so it's nothing to worry about. If you're seeking help, go to the Cloud and Link rooms.

Sharp02

Smash Rookie
Cloud first Toon Link later. Kappa,

In seriousness. Play on Anthers. FG isn't that good a place to learn, and Anthers people on low level will help you out a lot of the time.

Creeeamy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-3994-5969
I reccomend to second Cloud, Toon Link has a lot more too him in terms of potential, Cloud is strong, has good combos, good range, great power and speed, but is overall very simple to learn, I can only really say learn to use Toon Links bombs since they can get some really decent combos out of them, I only really brushed over Toon Link.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Being a Toon Link main, I can definitely testify to the fact that of your two characters, he's harder to learn and should take up more of your practice time. Playing Toon Link is really rewarding too, especially if you know how to properly use his projectiles.

Bowcaster

Smash Rookie
NNID
SkyBlueSheepy
3DS FC
1822-2399-1574
Most Toon Link players love the bomb setups and, if you're going down that route then you need to learn Bomb Toss Cancelling (jump a split second before you throw the bomb to keep your momentum) but I find the Boomerang much more useful - being able to snipe players with it as well as saving my bacon numerous times as it hits people who have me grabbed. That said I'm hardly top tier but my win Ratio is around 70%.
As for Cloud, give yourself some respect and pick someone else ;-)

Mr.Nice Guy19722

Smash Rookie
The best advice I can give is to learn the match-ups for your characters. Learn which one to go when faced with different match-ups. I.E. Your Cloud may do well aginst Mario, but could struggle against Shiek, that's when you would go Toon Link (just an example).

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Most Toon Link players love the bomb setups and, if you're going down that route then you need to learn Bomb Toss Cancelling (jump a split second before you throw the bomb to keep your momentum) but I find the Boomerang much more useful - being able to snipe players with it as well as saving my bacon numerous times as it hits people who have me grabbed. That said I'm hardly top tier but my win Ratio is around 70%.
As for Cloud, give yourself some respect and pick someone else ;-)
My friend doesn't care for bombs. Also he uses a Wiimote. Sooooo, he's not going anywhere with Toon Link.

But yeah, I love me my bombs. I spent a really long time making sure my jump cancel tossing is on point after I realized how useful it is.

Bowcaster

Smash Rookie
NNID
SkyBlueSheepy
3DS FC
1822-2399-1574
I'm really good at reverse bomb tossing but I'm guilty of throwing them down when I mean to throw forward. God knows how?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom