• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any tips for dealing with Sonic?

Happy Lion

Smash Rookie
NNID
HappyLionGames
I'm having a ton of trouble with Sonics. Particularly ones that spam Side-B, if i shield it they just jump and escape away. I'll try an U-air following them but they just spawn the jump pad and get away with a down air. Then rinse and repeat. If i try to stop them with Down-B then they just jump early and attack.

Anyone have any advice?

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
shield is a good option to start with. If they you see that they commit to a spin dash, shield will almost always work.
are you trying up air and back air out of shield? not just shield drop?
Can a dk confirm if these air attacks OoS are not a true punish if the sonic up-bs?

It seems like maybe what you are having trouble with is punishing the spring into dair.
Sonic has really limited options when he uses the spring and it puts him in a terrible position, and even if he auto cancels his landing you can be right in his face when he lands.

bait out the spring (jump up air dodge?) and just be in his face when he lands, then just follow up with a punish or if you don't have enough time to punish try just run up down-b.

RiotLettuce

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiotLettuce
3DS FC
0877-2587-1813
If you see a Side b charging and releasing, immediately go for the shield. Then depending on what kind of Sonic main they are, you can usually uair out of shield and punish their side b. But if they go for the spring every time before you can punish, shield the spring and the side b. Then right after they spring they will most likely dair because once a Sonic can get high enough, they can cancel the dair's lag. This is when you go for the down b or ftilt or up b. This will condition them into either not using the spring or not dairing immediately.

Another thing you can try is when you see a side b charging and if you're quick enough down b immediately. This will then most likely make them side b next time jump early out of your down b range and then homing attack which you then shield and dash attack for the punish.

If they do manage to upthrow you or get you high vertically, airdodge as much as you need to to dodge their uairs.

I always recommend using down b and up b when either they're running at you or you're running at them.

Not sure if this helped but I hope it did :S

Last edited:

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
Up B is a great tool especial with super armor for countering sonic's aerial approach, just don't dpam it or they will read you. Down B is a great tool for their grounded approach. I have fun baiting Sonic players by standing under them after they spring. Spot dodge their descent and then down smash or mega punch them into oblivion.

Mindles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMindless
3DS FC
5026-5818-5094
by no way am i a DK main (even though he fun to use....DTaunt) but usually that match up in my eyes for DK is the wait and bait kinda thing.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
your tilts have disjointed hitboxes. If he charges at you try and get him with those and if you do it right, you shouldn't be damaged. Use down tilt as you can act out of it quickest.

Kantolin

Smash Rookie
I would also like to suggest up-B as a counter. Between up-B, down-B, and your forward/down tilt you actually have several tools to stop rolls.

The trouble (or well, /my/ trouble) is that you have to be careful with your timing. Get predictable or start too early and sonic has tools to punish, whereas if he messes up he takes some damage and then is relatively free to try again.

Still, patience and not becoming predictable is the answer. Rotate through solutions. Hopefully you'll fluster the sonic player and thus encourage them to stop trying.

Gloman600

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gloman600
patience shield then punish grab throw him in air do up airs to bait his down a then repeat

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Downtilt, slap their feet.

More often than not though you're going to have to play so defensively the match might go to time then good luck doing DK vs Sonic in Sudden Death.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Grounded Spinning Kong can stop Sonic's spindash if you time it correctly. You just have to master the timing so you can anticipate Sonic's attacks in advance. Otherwise the speed is going to overwhelm you.

Top Bottom