• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any Tips For A Potential Mario Player?

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
might use him as one of my backup characters since hardly anyone uses him and beating someone with mario just seems kinda cool
i mean imagine beating sheik or ike(okay maybe not ike)with mario....the average suckfest character as some might say beating a higher classed character like ike sheik etc.' 0_0
thats just epic....
his moveset's kinda plain and bland(like sonic)so i can see why some would be put off
but to master a character like the marvelous mascot of nintendo would be truly FTW!
so any tips tricks you name it you can share to help me out?

Nintendude92z

Smash Apprentice
Tip's?

1. Mario is no longer a suckfest. Check out some videos, or fight some of the Mario's on this board.
2. If you have trouble against Ike using Mario, you have a long way to go.
3. There is alot to learn, its not enough to know how to use his A moves, Caping and even Fludd are esential.

Those are just general statements. If you want actual help on game mechanics, be more specific.

acojan

Smash Apprentice
sheik is no longer the uber goddes she use to be in melle but shes still pretty good. and mario owns ike .... his recovery is screwed with fludd + cape... sometimes just fludd.

and fireballs ownnnnnnn ike's slow but

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i've heard his dair is pretty bad is that true
and what are the most important things to remember when playing mario?

boss8

Smash Hero
might use him as one of my backup characters since hardly anyone uses him and beating someone with mario just seems kinda cool
i mean imagine beating sheik or ike(okay maybe not ike)with mario....the average suckfest character as some might say beating a higher classed character like ike sheik etc.' 0_0
thats just epic....
his moveset's kinda plain and bland(like sonic)so i can see why some would be put off
but to master a character like the marvelous mascot of nintendo would be truly FTW!
so any tips tricks you name it you can share to help me out?
you can be good with mario regardless of his moveset...just cause he doesn't look like he has the potential is why i play mario.......mario is basically an amazing character...it's kinda like this...

someone wins a turnament on da eastcoast.....(what character was he using???) metaknight..

yea it's not that amazing....(hey i won a turney with mario) and everyone is like WTF cause they assume right off the back that mario isn't good....tips.....

1.listen to DJ eggz techno:chuckle::chuckle:

2.acuire a feel for mario....use mario as u would think of using any other character(just remember u are mario with his moveset)

3.(u have no limits within limits....:mario can take a punch but not from the strong but deliver it back to them with even or more power...playing mario is like chess......

4.no your strengths......once you've unlocked his strengths and no his weaknesses you are good 2 go....

5.last but not least.....HAVE FUN!!!(yea when your under pressure i know it's hard but focus on having a good time........in the heat of the moment i may go for a random spike...:psycho: or even listen to mario's little wahooo hoo hoo!! noises to get the joke.....if u need anything on his moveset and his combos feel free to ask.......and Dair doesn't suck...it actually sets u up for combos IMO :chuckle:

i also think mario/Doc had an easy time against shiek in melee...doc/mario can infinite chaingrab her to death....and your tilts and automatics leave her on her toes..

boss8

Smash Hero
what about his fludd?
i use flodd as a spacing technique...i will jump infront of my opponent....he has 3 options....attack...shield....dodge...

if he attacks(the lagg of hitting the water will take place then i can go in for any easy grab)

if he attempts a shield grab he can't cause the water pushes him back you don't need to have a fully charge either...

if they dodge ok...i have my choice of....grabbing...Dsmashing...or Usmashing....it's quiet funny actually....

i also use it to manipulate my opponets recovery....easy characters like...ike...deedeedee....snake...luigi...pikachu....etc.....it's much harder on recoverys like metaknight....ROB...etc....

don't make yourself predictable with flodd or your opponent will be twice as alert......

acojan

Smash Apprentice
fireballs are amazing for approaches. they come out relatively fast and have little to no delay.
use 'em while short hopping towards enemies as it has an oddly long hitstun and since it bounces on the ground diagonally from mario it is not all that hard to hit opponents with it.

EarthWindandFire

Smash Rookie
My Analysis

Mario

Air Juggling:
Mario's self-centered with juggling foes on mid %s, so short-hopped
U-Airs, D-Airs, the U-Tilt, U-Smash, D-Throws, and U-Throws tend to
work for either starting or continuing juggles. One thing to remember
is that Mario ain't no Squirtle or Metaknight, so Mario can't combo foes
for long. You'll probaly at least make one hit on the foe before he/she
DIs/airdodges back to safety. Mario does make some good damage on the
enemy by making quick comboes.

Range Problem:
A big problem with Jumpman is that he's short-pint and can't
smack foes afar with his fast standard attacks. Thus, its safer to go D
with Jumpman: spam the fireballs, cape projectiles, and move in when
the foe's in some sort of vunrabulity.

Edgeguarding:
Another thing to highlight about Jumpman is that he's pretty
superior in edgeguarding. The F-Air, B-Air are obvious picks, but the
FLUDD can lag the falltime of midair opponents if you aim it up. From
there, B-Airs and the cape can move the foe away from the edge.
F-Air if you feel lucky.

Mario's very adpactable in many aspects, just always obey
"Don't Get Hit."

???????

Smash Journeyman
Mario's backwards slide with his Ftilt is good for spacing and you can do any move out of it, such as Ftilt backwards slide to a Dsmash.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Use FLUUD

Its best for edge guarding even if they recover back, not many people use FLUUD so it can be pretty surprising and if used alot, can be used for mindgames

Top Bottom