• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

any tips against sheik?

phantoon

Smash Cadet
hey everyone, i've been training my secondary which is zelda and i've experienced hell against skilled sheiks. against fast characters is usually the hardest since, you know, zelda is sort of a snail but i can manage sonic and cpt falcon for the most part but i can't seem to do anything worthwhile against shiek. i can't shield grab her aerials because of her fast tilts, and most of the time i panic NL and get punished for that too, also when sheik grabs me, i don't have anything to use to protect myself (read: decent aerials) having to rely solely on DI and luck. ironically, zelda's alter ego is my worst nightmare. any tips for this matchup?

against sonic cpt falcon, i've used phantom to combat their speed sort of successfully (it's so great against sonic's spin dashes) but it doesn't work so well against sheik so i'm at a complete loss here...

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Sheik is a nightmare. Sheik is everyone's nightmare. Rely on your quick, safe attacks such as jab and dtilt often so she doesn't have as much time to punish you. Don't use Nayru's very often in this MU as Sheik is often so mobile that she'll be in range of it and out of range by the time the move comes out. Also, it's practically useless against needles. Don't bother trying to combat her offstage since she's got one of the best recoveries in the game. Just punish her getup options from the ledge. If you get grabbed, your only hope is good DI and proper reactions to her followups. Usually, DI'ing up and away from Sheik is a good idea after her throws and jump + airdodge is your safest option to avoid followups. Don't let her get in your face. Spacing her out with phantom can be helpful but predictable so stay mobile with SH retreating nairs if she won't let you get an attack out. None of this is foolproof and you will struggle against Sheik as Zelda.

Darktundra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jokton
One word MOVEMENT
This is a matchup where shielding and rolling is not good. The ideal place against Shiek is mid-range. Your goal is to stay close enough to shut off Needles. Most Shieks roll before using the needles. Avoid grabs to the best of your abilities. Kill Shiek as efficiently as possible. Avoid staling kill moves. Jab is Zelda's best hope at avoiding grabs. It's a shame that Zelda's already limited options are narrowed down further

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I do well against Sheiks on Platform stages, I feel it helps Zelda combo out of down throw with nair or bait a nair but upsmash/grab/kick

If you use Phantom Slash, reversing it (WaveSlash idk) you can use Platforms to throw off Sheiks recovery.

Throw a WaveSlash off stage as she's recovering, then run off the stage and dair when fall below the phantom, before they double jump to recover low

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Trade, go for the trade, enjoy every trade. Walk and crouch to lower your hurtbox, it can help powershielding hers aerials.
Challenge her recovery, she can't handle the phantom since it won't stop because of her aerial, and if she bouncing fish on it she's screwed.
Finally rage elevator or Bthrow for the kill.

Sailor Mercury

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mercury813
My biggest issue seems to be zero suit. Sheik is quick but her moves don't do very much damage and she has trouble KO'ing. The primary moves I use vs Sheik is dtilt, jab, and nair. Nair is heaven-sent for Zelda. It's such a defensive move and it's very versatile. Since Sheik likes to be in the air, I often find that Zelda's nair out-ranges Sheik's aerials, and it seems to interrupt her. It usually comes as a surprise to the Sheik players, so I'm able to follow up sometimes with more moves. Since Sheik is pretty tall, I also get some bairs in, if I can predict when she's going to charge me and I throw a bair while she's running towards me. Spacing is key when fighting her I'd say..Have to make her afraid to approach you by shutting down her approach options with your defensive options(dtilt, nair, jab).

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
My biggest issue seems to be zero suit. Sheik is quick but her moves don't do very much damage and she has trouble KO'ing. The primary moves I use vs Sheik is dtilt, jab, and nair. Nair is heaven-sent for Zelda. It's such a defensive move and it's very versatile. Since Sheik likes to be in the air, I often find that Zelda's nair out-ranges Sheik's aerials, and it seems to interrupt her. It usually comes as a surprise to the Sheik players, so I'm able to follow up sometimes with more moves. Since Sheik is pretty tall, I also get some bairs in, if I can predict when she's going to charge me and I throw a bair while she's running towards me. Spacing is key when fighting her I'd say..Have to make her afraid to approach you by shutting down her approach options with your defensive options(dtilt, nair, jab).
You are exactly correct, or at least we play similar Zeldas. I've been told I play Counter-Agressive but Nair is amazing, I don't see how anyone thinks its bad.

But I need to fall offstage into fair more, since I hear it works over nair (like pulling them down to gimp them)

Top Bottom