• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any point to Nair?

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
Is there any really point to the Nair? I want to utilize all his moves, but I don't see a point to using his Nair when I could use his Fair.

Is there any situation where Nair is better then Fair?

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
I've used it against my friends fox for basic disruption. Other wise I'd say its nothing more than a good disruption tool, but I'm not pro so don't quote me.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played Brawl in a while since my Wii is broken, but I think Nair has no landing lag and could be used to combo better. Maybe a good way to punish shielders is Nair > grab? With Fair you have to wait until the move is finished to cancel its lag.

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
I would just have to say it has no landing lag. So if you are in a position where you are close to the ground and about to land, use nair. If you are chasing or playing the offensive, then fair.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
@Pubik,
Oh for sure. I don't think I've EVER finished with a nair. At the very best I've been able to knock someone a decent bit off stage and gimp them to death but that's about it. However, at low percents it can tie into a short-hop game quite well because the low knock-back and landing lag work entirely in your favor. To know when to use that would probably require that you have a combo already planned out, and there's not a whole lot of information floating around on comboing with Sonic so you'll just have to play around with that yourself.

The only other times I use nair is when I don't have enough time to predict where exactly my enemy is going to be. The larger circular area that it covers makes it useful should someone try to DI away from a fair or something.

Also, I use it when people are below me and I'm close to them. Dairing is usually too unreliable to hit people below me and sometimes dangerous as I'm over a pit so I'm forced to nair even though its lousy priority often means we both just get hit.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
yuck, don't use nair period, one of sonic's worst moves. The only time i've used it is out of a shield by the edge, other than that, never. As if sonic's priority on his moves weren't bad enough, he had to be stuck with this lame nair. Stick with the fair unless you want to be punished, not good for combos and can easily be countered...

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
cHooKay, it's premature to say that it's "not good for combos." While it's true the move suffers from priority and range issues, there may be situations where people are in hit stun/recovering where this move will work. Don't discount it as a part of Sonic's game just because it has some short comings. The full extent of Sonic's capabilities are unknown and it doesn't help to discourage experimenting.

Garuda

Smash Ace
For some reason, I've found that it works well after I do a side+B spin and immediately jump and Nair. It seems that the beginning of the move does pretty impressive knockback.

Otherwise, it's good for disruption I suppose.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Even if Nair had literally no advantage over fair, it would still have one use: stale moves. Fair is one of Sonic's best gimping moves along with homing attack and spring drop on certain characters, so if your opponent is getting into the kill zone, it's best to save your fairs for the final blow.

Second, Sonic's Fair hitbox doesn't extend across the length of his body, and his bair takes a while to pull off. If you find yourself with an opponent behind you and too close for comfort (and don't have time for a bair), Nair is your best bet.

Third is the combo aspect, which was already mentioned. I would clarify a bit in saying that their landing lag is equal (i.e. non-existent), unless you try to fair close to the ground. In that case, you end up with probably .5 seconds of landing lag.

Finally, Nair is really, REALLY good at killing Pikmin. :laugh:

In response to Garuda's comment, the fair seems to do a bit more damage coming out of a side/down-b, so it's probably usually a better idea. However, if you're trying to keep the fair off of stale moves, nair is certainly a good idea.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Uair is actually better than the nair. Both hitboxes on startup are in the same place, just above sonic. Uair leads into combos/air chasing too.

Hitage

Smash Cadet
nair is a decent move, it does have no landing lag, priority, it can be short hopped and connected with an uptilt. So its basically only a combo starter and can be one gimping option.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I'm pretty sure the nair has very little to no landing lag and might have better priority than the fair. Also... with move decay, being versitile is ALWAYS a good thing.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
^It definitely does not have better priority than fair. It's one of the reasons why using nair as an approach is so infrequent in higher level matches.

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
I use it at the end of a spin dash combo occasionally, it doesn't launch em too far so it give me another opportunity to attack with fair(if they are close enough).

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
so yea i pretty much for now if nothing is discovered (the pikimin thing was interesting) i just use it as a reaction when somebody is too close i just do it automatically and it comes out so fast that they don't see it coming...so disruption =D

Top Bottom