• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any Help

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Hey i just wanted to ask an opinion of everyone here hopefully i won't get laughed at or anything for it but its just a question and it's not like i know you all personally so here it goes.

Playing this game is an enjoyable experience but a lot of the times because of them i either get really upset, not to the point where I'm like crying out loud or making excuses or getting angry, but just you know it depresses me. It's not like where i lose or something it could be something as paltry as getting hit with a jab.

My emotions run really high obviously and its nothing i can control, though i do try and i've never had an altercation with another player ever, it's just in my own head i like beat myself up over it.

I was hoping maybe someone here either A suffers from the same thing and could give me a tad bit of advice or B. I'm not really sure.. just want to see if i could not beat myself up over dumb things that afterwards i know are dumb.

Last edited:

Volt Tackle

Smash Cadet
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on this, but it may be helpful to see an anger management counsellor.

Razed

Smash Ace
@Mods: Please don't lock this topic, this guy seems nice, and he uses proper grammar, and he's actually trying to do something about it

@Kevin: Myself, I have complete control over my emotions, but the empathetic part of me sees where you're coming from. I suggest that you continue to play, and when you notice that you're getting upset, just pause the game, and go to your room a while to cool off. Just relax a bit, maybe get a drink of something. When you're calm again, just continue on playing.
Another thing you could try: try laughing at your mistakes. Instead of getting teed off at yourself/the game/your opponent, just smile and acknowledge that you made a simple mistake, and try again. It sounds like you're playing vs a Lvl 9 computer though, because that is sometimes annoying. All they do is jab, and since normal players don't do that, you get caught off guard and that annoys you. Try playing vs a Lvl 1, and just practice combos. I do that alot, and it's pretty rfun and relaxing. I'll try and give you some more help once I get a reply.

Good luck bro

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I take CBT that was one of the steps i took but its not helping as much ya kno, sorry this might not be related to a thread you know..

I'm just worried about not being able to do well in a tournament because of me cracking ya kno

To Razed: Thanks man but the thing is i actually play in local tournies and stuff and I do ok. But i can never find myself winning because like you said i get Teed off and its not like my game is affected but i just lose the ability to want to play.. I usually would have to leave anyway because i'm just mentally exhausted.

Its hard cause i'm only seventeen you know

Razed

Smash Ace
I'm 15 ATM, but I've been through alot mentally. I was never very angry, but I would get depressed out of the blue, when everything was fine. Here's how I reasoned with myself, the same thing might apply to you:

Why am I depressed? I dunno
It makes me feel bad, tired, and detracts from the overall enjoyment of my life, right? Yes
Does it help in any way? No
Does it solve anything? No
Would I be happier if I changed? Yes
Would I be nicer to be around if I changed? Most likely
So why be depressed? Good point...

Hold up I'll also send you something really awesome that helps you accomplish almost anything

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
eally is nothing i can do to grasp my emotions... just to keep them in check to (the farthest i've been is the semi's) is mentally exhausting and i get even more frustrated that i can't stay and play you know.

Last edited:

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Very much appreciated Razed but the thing is even with that link, it talks about planning and all that, it doesn't help much. Like lets put it this way say your Emotions are like a thermostat and planning or thinking keeps it normal... mine are like lightswitches... one second i'm happy the next i don't feel like playing and i need to go home or i explode at people (thankfully never done). So though very useful it didn't pertain to my situation.. thanks though for even attempting.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
My best friend has depression, it doesn't effect his Smash game though. He's depressed because the girl of his dreams won't go out with him. Shes popular and he's a , well, nerd. He's even gotten to the point where he tryed to kill himself but he wasn't daring enough to do it. I'm in 8th grade right now and he even switched schools(he's going to my highschool though). Games make him happy and playing with friends does too. Just try to find out what makes you happy, and do it.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Ahh perhaps this is just a question i have to answer myself if anyone could help me though please feel free to input it.

Last edited:

Zone

Smash Champion
I have been working my fingers off to the point that they were actually sore from practicing Super Smash Brothers Melee. I feel I've got some technical skill down now And I think I know what to do in certain situations. So I invited my friend over, And I lose like 10 out of 11 matches for some reason. the first 3 weren't so bad. But after losing like 3-4 possibly in a row.

INstead of matches being close. I keep telling myself sometimes that "Omg you suck, why can't you do anything u were doing perfectly fine earlier." I get upset because I worked hard to perfect my techs adn to use them on my friend but then it all goes to crap. It's a bad feeling to work hard and when something tiny like you getting shield grab twice in a row. I get all upset at myself for sucking. I even apologized to my friend for sucking, and not being able to "apparently" improve.

I guess what i'm trying to say is Your not the only one who gets upset over this game. (Any other multiplayer online game doesn't do this to me).

I tried to tell myself, Losing is improving. But I don't want to lose, I want to win. And when I can't get winning results.

I get upset and quit SSBM for a while, Then find myself wanting to improve outside of the 1v1's with my friend. He's not a ******* about it, he's just easily Calm when even losing, and I am not. People all ways say advice like "Get over it" "Your just gonna have to learn to take your losses" It's not that easy. I am conciously aware of my upset condition and that I should stop being upset. But my mind continues to degrade me.

Play with some friends, (Who don't take the game serious or competitive) I have 2 friends who play this game and make it fun with their reactions, and jokes and their omgwtf suicides lol. I love playing witht hem cuz they play ******** on purpose, and sometimes they can try and win to make it not completely dull. But my one friend I 1v1 with he's like my Rival. Me and him try to improve skill wise. The other 2 just mess around.

If your playing alone, I dunno. But if you play with friends consider the above. Friends who are in no way competitive, but play the game to play it w/o trying the extra mile to improve.

I think i'm somewhere like you in SSBM

Wrath`

Smash Master
Although what i'm about to say is stupid,Chanelling your emotions do help.When i get mad at things i Channel it into a state of seriousness and then i do alot better.

But since yours is a condition it might not work.
Sorry dude

Elen

Smash Lord
Manic depression is a form/symptom of bipolar right? Anyways, in my experience, the first step to overcoming an emotional issue such as this, is just thinking that you have control over it, regardless of whether you medically do not. It's possible that just by adjusing your attitude to something more posotive and enthusiastic, that you may be able to cause just the slightest change in your emotional status. Keep in mind, medication can also be a useful tool in battling depression and BPD. At the moment, it seems you believe you have no control over you emotions. If you can adjust your line of thought to believe you do have power over your own mind, and if you try your best to stay in control, you may see changes in your emotions and moods. Again, this is just my opinion and I am by no means a psychologist. You can give it a try if you'd like, but because of your BPD, it may not make any difference. It's worth a shot though right ^.^

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Just because you suffer from something with an official name doesn't mean that everyone doesn't go through it at some point. At a recent tournament, me and my team-mate lost to KonkeyDong (Mike, aka best in Canada), and his partner who was a Peach that only rolled, pulled turnips, and d-smashed. Because of the fact that I was completely gayed over by this peach, I got really pissed. I yanked my controller out of the socket once the final match ended and almost decapitated the people next to me.

I beat myself up over it for a while, but after a while I realized a loss is a loss.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I didn't say people didn't go through it Fast Fox... and sorry for getting gayed out of a win

@Elendil: Thank you very much for the positive advice, thats what gets me through the first five or six matches its just by the end i'm just mentally exhausted from still being there do you know what i mean.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
@Fastfox: You getting mad about losing is not comparable to him getting mad. Unless you suffer from a similar disorder, you should have much more control over your outbursts. Obviously everyone gets angry-- the difference is that the disorders such as bipolar make it much harder for people to control their emotions.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Agree with Tar except for the its not comparable... we feel the same emotions mine just hit harder and i can't do anything about it. It makes it hard in a tournament when you still beat yourself up over something that happened in round 1 when its round 6. It takes away from the game, i guess it's something again that i'll have to figure out.. I'll leave it open to whoever wants to try but idk i can talk to the psych and see if i can get some kind of idk blocker or something.

Top Bottom