• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any good Mario combo's (Other than down-throw into up-tilt)

WingedBehemoth

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tsunayoshi
3DS FC
3969-4003-5661
I'm a Mario main, and is there any other good Combos for Mario? I can't find any myself, but maybe other people have already discovered some.

Darrman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darrman
3DS FC
4785-6377-6170
Dsmash to Utilt doesn't work. D-THROW, to Utilt works in 1.03. Dunno on 1.04.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
In terms of Mario combos, alot of it usually relies on getting the grab after a set amount of hits. The string that ZeRo once showed off would be a good place to start:

Dthrow>Utilt x2> Dthrow> Utilt x2> SH UAir > UAir> Full Jump UAir> Double Jump UAir> Up B

Now this string is not a true combo, due to being able to break this at the Utilt section and technically the UAir parts. But knowing the string is still helpful, as even in part it will connect decently well.

There are other setup strings as combos, such as:

Dtilt > Grab
UThrow > DAir
DThrow > Up B
SH Neutral B > Run behind it then attack/grab as you see fit
Utilt repeat
Dtilt > Utilt/FSmash/Up B
NAir > grab
UAir > Up B (works on ground too)
UAir > Utilt
UAir > Jab > grab
Jab x 2 > Run and grab

True combos are rather rare for Mario, but alot of these should help your Mario rack up more damage. Hopefully these help ya out

SuperLuigi9624

Smash Cadet
Mario's combos are boss, usually they just come naturally, but after you Dthrow to Utilt, you can usually follow up with a Uair, and then you can double jump and pull of another one, and you can usually finish with an albeit weak due to not coming out the first frame it's available, Nair, and then you can down smash or something when they hit the ground.

I dunno, I always found SSB4 Mario kinda like SSBB's Lucario. You don't really need to look up combos, once you get one or two hits off, they should just come naturally.

Munch

Smash Rookie
NNID
CuddlesTheTitan
3DS FC
4339-2516-8521
one of my main go to two hit kill combo is d-throw at around 40-70ish percent and jump once and f-air and they bounce off the stage( or spike off stage) and then you get another follow up. i try to f-air again and ive gotten it but its easier to u-air or d-air. also at around 90ish percent i do it again but i double jump towards them as fast as i can and f-air and spike them from around 2/5 of the stage. (NOTICE: only works on some characters at certain percents these are generic estimates that work for me for most i face not actual. Also, because i do this on for glory idk if they were just bad at getting out of the situation and dont know when to air dodge or if it connects because of the short stun) This is my go to as you spike them early and it looks cool to dunk your opponent:) hopefully someone confirms percents or if it works for them, i might give it a go as well:)

Edit: this is what i mean, tested it on a level 9 shiek in training mode, started working at 70% http://imgur.com/m6SEqc4

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
one of my main go to two hit kill combo is d-throw at around 40-70ish percent and jump once and f-air and they bounce off the stage( or spike off stage) and then you get another follow up. i try to f-air again and ive gotten it but its easier to u-air or d-air. also at around 90ish percent i do it again but i double jump towards them as fast as i can and f-air and spike them from around 2/5 of the stage. (NOTICE: only works on some characters at certain percents these are generic estimates that work for me for most i face not actual. Also, because i do this on for glory idk if they were just bad at getting out of the situation and dont know when to air dodge or if it connects because of the short stun) This is my go to as you spike them early and it looks cool to dunk your opponent:) hopefully someone confirms percents or if it works for them, i might give it a go as well:)

Edit: this is what i mean, tested it on a level 9 shiek in training mode, started working at 70% http://imgur.com/m6SEqc4
I'll have to keep this one in mind, looks sweet to pull off

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Uair > Nair works for on low percents, it's really good if you expect the opponent to airdodge.

Short Hop Uair > DJ Uair works often.

Utilt > Usmash works.

Sort Nair > Ftilt/Utilt/Grab/Jab.

Maruigi

Smash Rookie
I've gotten Dtilt into Utilt if you're more comfortable landing Dtilt.

Dthrow --> Uptilt(x2) --> Uair --> Bair/Fair depending on the situation is one of the easiest to pull off. It goes out of his basic combo though, I like to do this close to a ledge against 'winged' characters because I have troubles ledge guarding them and I can spike them with this. I also like to Fair while moving backwards in the air near ledges as to not risk putting myself in danger if I made myself vulnerable with doing something like a second jump when I didn't need to.

I'm not 100% about this but I think at low % if you use your C stick you can get Dtilt to go into DSmash. I also like Dtilt into Dash attack just to mix things up a bit. People seem to not expect it if they're used to being Utilted after Dtilt.

My biggest suggestion is to get really good at fast falling aerials and using the C-stick/Smash Stick to use tilts and quick smashes. Or be able to do them fast enough without the C-Stick.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
D-air landing lag hitbox > to any frame 6 (grab, u-tilt, up-b, f-tilt, Dsmash)
This works at any percent.
Be sure to drift so mario slides or else most of those miss
If you want a wombo combo. at 30% u-tilts string into each other and D-throw > utilt strings together and at around 45% u-tilt > u-air > uair > Up-B strings together. so
Haven't tested how vectoring/DI affects the combo but it definitely has enough hitstun for all of it to be a combo.

If your opponent is at 30%
D-air landing > D-thrown > u-tilt > u-tilt > uair > uair > Up-B does ~42%

Also this is very safe to fish for since D-air crosses up shield if you have enough speed, Is multi hit, little lag so pretty much unpunishable.

This is his most powerful combo I've found that isn't simply a string that can be airdodged/jumped out of

Last edited:

Hacky

Smash Cadet
NNID
SN_Hacky
3DS FC
4513-4712-4723
Switch FC
2414 6996 3456
Not adding to the actual dthrow > utilts > uairs string combo as far as inputs go, but I suggest specifically learn doing this on Battlefield. Let's say with a medium weight character at 0, the platforms are at perfect heights to continue these strings mercilessly and into literally almost anything you want. Starting underneath a platform, dthrow > utilt2 > SH UAir > FH FF UAir > Land on platform > any smash to finish it off or to continue, utilt > SH UAir > FH UAir/NAir > if you can manage to zone them so that they are forced to DI towards the top platform, that is ideal because you can then land on that platform and by then, its over, so USmash is my go-to finisher, with maybe another utilt beforehand but not likely to get the USmash after because they've racked too much damage. Obviously this is in NO way a true combo, but the platforms are perfect height and spacing to continue the natural combo ability of Mario. The more comfortable you get with this, the better. Just knowing all of the inputs to buffer and thinking enough ahead of time is challenging, but it will become natural and you'll figure out ways to space it to get them to go exactly where you want them to. Bottom line, platforms are good, mmkay? Avoid Omegas/Final D

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Mario naturally combos well from ground to air, like uptilt or downtilt as starters, particularly at lower percents.

But what i really like about this character is that at low percentages you also have combo options from in air-ground or low height air-air situations. you can Short Hop in and get some quick combos like Nair into f-tilt or bair into f-tilt.

It also works as a safe shield poke ( if you land out of grab range) and the speed of f-tilt can work really well to frame trap opponents as well if you want to delay the f-tilt a bit.

Darrman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darrman
3DS FC
4785-6377-6170
I've been experimenting in Training, and I found a bunch of Sheik combos. At 30%, a triple utilt is true, for 16 damage. Follow this up with an FH Uair, but the combo can be broken here. After the uair hits, use your double jump and follow up with two bairs. These two are also a true combo. Sheik should take 44 damage!* Not taking in Stale-Move Negation. At 40%, only two utilts will land so the combo deals 39 damage. The combo stops being a combo at 45, although a 28 damage string can be used, being a 2x utilt-uair-bair. The combo stops working completely at 48. At 25, a dthrow can be used, and the combo works the same after that.

JuanP_91

Smash Cadet
I got one, not sure if its true or not.

Basically, SH> Instant Uair>Fast Falling Uair. Should the Uair connect, juggle with more Uairs or a Bair after jumping again from the ground, or just mix thing up as you like. Its pretty easy on taller characters, but against smaller ones, it must be nearly frame perfect.

It should probably be hard to pull of on players as its unsafe on shield, but string the start with x2 Uair > Up B, and get about 36-40 damage.
I tried this on 45% Ganon and 50% Diddy.

At 90%, I was able to chain one SHFF Uair into Double Jump Fair on Diddy

You'll probably pull this off with DI if read correctly.

Last edited:

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing against a lot of falcon recently and my new low % BNB grab combo against falcon is below.

Downthrow - Uptilt - Dtilt - Regrab - Downthrow - Uptilt.

Notes: Combo doesn't work till falcon has about 7%. I don't know about the exact number but good falcons will DI down if you try to grab combo them at lower percents.
You can follow up with a SH Up-air and if your timing is tight you can true combo it. But that may not leave you in the best position to follow up, it may be best to stay grounded and try to bait out one of falcon's buttons (falcons love to button).

If you find your self super close to ledge and you want offstage pressure you can just f-smash frame trap instead of regrabbing. Not gonna net you a kill at the low percent but will give you good offstage pressure (if you have good offstage pressure)

I can also confirm that the regrab after dtilt works on megaman and heavier characters but percents will vary.

Darrman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darrman
3DS FC
4785-6377-6170
I've been playing against a lot of falcon recently and my new low % BNB grab combo against falcon is below.

Downthrow - Uptilt - Dtilt - Regrab - Downthrow - Uptilt.

Notes: Combo doesn't work till falcon has about 7%. I don't know about the exact number but good falcons will DI down if you try to grab combo them at lower percents.
You can follow up with a SH Up-air and if your timing is tight you can true combo it. But that may not leave you in the best position to follow up, it may be best to stay grounded and try to bait out one of falcon's buttons (falcons love to button).

If you find your self super close to ledge and you want offstage pressure you can just f-smash frame trap instead of regrabbing. Not gonna net you a kill at the low percent but will give you good offstage pressure (if you have good offstage pressure)

I can also confirm that the regrab after dtilt works on megaman and heavier characters but percents will vary.
I tested it, true from 25-32%. Triple utilt after that ceases to work at 38. At the 50 region, I've been testing out bairing Falcon after an up-throw. WARNING: JUST A STRING AT THIS POINT! After the uthrow, bair. Bair him again. The third hit is true combo off the second, so it should work out to be a nice 38 damage to Falcon, without SMN.

FreshYarn43

Smash Rookie
NNID
beeftaco
My FAVORITE combo - I use this all the time in For Glory. This works best when at 0-20% range.

Dthrow - Utilt - Utilt - Utilt if still at 20% - Upair - Upair - Bair if the opponent DIs the way you want him to

This will get your opponent to a quick and breezy 50% with little to no effort. If you can nail the timing down, this can be deadly and will win you games.
Hope this helped!

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Can we please get the title of this thread changed? Sorry to be nitpicky but it really should read down throw instead of downsmash.

Also I think a key component to marios game is combo-ing that I'd like to give an overview on here is combo-ing into grab.

Mario runs into an abstract problem of sorts when he gets a grab at 0%.

Certain characters can get combo'd viciously for 30-50% right from this 0% grab (ZSS for example and also D3 I believe).

But some common tournament characters like Falcon, Megaman, Diddy are a bit too heavy and can DI downwards to get out of your downthrow combo at 0%. These characters can shield you, block your up-tilt and punish with a grab of their own, taking your potentially 50% advantage opportunity and turning it into a bad situation.

So then the question arises, How do I get my downthrow combo off to start off a round and get my big lead?
Well the answer is to combo into a grab. This will give your opponent that extra percent that you need to get your Dthrow combo off.

Mario has 4 moves that can combo into his throw against opponents (of a certain weight) at low percents.
U-tilt
D-tilt
Up-Air
D-air.

None of these moves are safe on block however, meaning that these aren't options that you just want to throw out willy nilly to get your optimal grab combo going.

D-tilt can be made safe on shield from max range. However from max range on hit you may have to use a roll cancel grab to close the distance and get a grab follow up. The best way to get a d-tilt off at low percents is to read a dash grab or a dash approach.

Up-air can be made safe if you cross up your opponent and land behind them. Then you can turnaround and grab them.
An Up-air right in your opponents face is super unsafe if they shield but if you land it you can actually combo up-air into uptilt into grab, to squeeze out some extra damage before you do your grab combo.

An Uptilt at low percents is an anti-air you can use to combo into your grab. While uptilt is the least safe of the options to throw out if you can hit an opponent right on landing you can get a grab follow up and at certain heights you can combo U-tilt into d-tilt into grab and then start your grab combo from there.

D-air is a great approach option and because the number of hits varies depending on mario's height you'll catch opponents get hitting out of their shield by your dair. A patient opponent however will be able to punish your Dair approach if you land right in their face, I recommend crossing up with it similar to up-air. And all of the hits of dair, except the very last hit, will leave your opponent in a grab range for a swift follow up. The problem with d-air here is you're not going to get enough damage right off the bat to get your opponent in d-throw combo range. But if you've already tacked on a smidge of damage via fireball or a poke, Dair into grab is a fairly safe and reliable way to get your grab combo off.

In short I think its key to know which of Mario's moves you want to throw out when your opponent has super low% to get you that big damage grab combo. This will depend on their character's weight and of course the player's habits, someone may be prone to dashing in recklessly or landing recklessly and as a result you need to select the right option to punish with and be confident in your ability to convert them into big damage grab combos.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I can't believe nobody has researched F-throw more.

I was just able to register F-throw B-air as a combo. On Luigi of all characters. Granted I was only able to pull if off like once or twice but seriously, it works!

Timing is strict as hell and hits after that don't register as consecutive, but around 11%, you can do something like F-throw -> B-air -> U-air -> U-tilt.

Also. Why the hell has nobody tried comboing into Shocking Cape? I tried it on Kirby specifically (probably sketchier on midweight characters). Jesus, F-throw/D-throw -> Shocking Cape is legit. You can get shenanigans by the ledge where if they don't DI away, they get outright killed by the Shocking Cape (which is easier to hit than F-air).

Last edited:

Johnniewalkker

Smash Rookie
I personally love nair to jab lock (really simple but situationaly)

But recently ive been using bair to b reversal custom fast fireball to get them in a jab reset

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Can we please get the title of this thread changed? Sorry to be nitpicky but it really should read down throw instead of downsmash.
I decided to change it since the topic creator seems to have long left this thread.

Also, F-throw to B-air seems legit as a mix-up. I'll recommend it.

Odeclas

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ulachagi
3DS FC
0877-1612-1511
I'm a Mario main, and is there any other good Combos for Mario? I can't find any myself, but maybe other people have already discovered some.
Soft hit nair combos in to tons of stuff, including jab, dsmash, grab, dtilt, ftilt. Dthrow > utilt > upb works well on those characters that can get out of the uptilts easily, like luigi, ness, jiggsm and kirby.

Nit0

Smash Rookie
NNID
CallMeNito
I don't know if anybody mentioned this one: Upthrow > Dair > Fair.
I do the first part(Upthrow > Dair) usually at very low percent because it's much safer and people can sometimes get out of the Dthrow > Uptilt combo at 0-10%.
The transition into Fair is more of a setup than an actual combo. It mostly depends on character size but also on DI.
You can also go for a Nair or Upair juggle instead of the Fair.
Imo the worst thing Mario mains do is spamming Upairs and making the move stale and predictable. Everybody should consider mixing things up with some Nairs, Bairs or Dairs since they all combo very well and can be a follow up to Upairs.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
U-Throw > D-air > F-air is a true combo and works on the whole cast. Some harder than others.

U-Throw > U-air is much safer however. I'd recommend doing this most of the time. Gives the percent needed to make D-throw combos safe.

Imo the worst thing Mario mains do is spamming Upairs and making the move stale and predictable. Everybody should consider mixing things up with some Nairs, Bairs or Dairs since they all combo very well and can be a follow up to Upairs.
I wouldn't recommend doing this for the sake of mixing it up. U-air is Mario's main juggle tool. Staleness doesn't matter because we aren't going to kill with it. While I agree Mario players need to do more than U-air, there has to be a solid gameplan around it.

JuanP_91

Smash Cadet
I can't believe nobody has researched F-throw more.
I've been experimenting with it, and I figured FThrow is pretty hard to tech out of, so I tested some possible followups on Falcon.

Fthrow causes tumbling animation at about 12%. Before the 20 frame initial landing animation ends, foxtrot to them, Jab Lock twice, and you get a completely free Dthrow at around 25-35%. From there come normal strings for extra damage.
And I'm 80% sure its a true combo.
EDIT: It may be possible to get out of the Fthrow, but as 12% is perfect for Dthrow combos, good players will probably just DI downwards thinking you'll Utilt combo them, making the Fthrow combo easier to land.

Jab Lock seems interesting. I also tried with Dtilt at 75%. The Jab lock leaves them open for a sweetspotted
mid-charge FSmash in the face, which has kill potential near the edge.
EDIT: You can escape this since the hitstun is really short, my bad

I'll probably keep messing with some other moves and try to find more possible combos, idk

Next, I tried it on Diddy. Works 10-20%. You can also do Jab>Ftilt for more damage instead of double Jab.

I also found out SH strong Nair to Jab works at 70, moves Diddy to 80, and leaves him open for killing FSmash near the edge.

Sorry if I'm not clear enough with this

Last edited:

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
Also, F-throw to B-air seems legit as a mix-up. I'll recommend it.
Ive been using this alot lately and it absolutely destroys. so easy to get people off the stage with and then its just a matter of superior edgeguarding. super easy to gimp cause its so unexpected

also, uthrow->bair works as a true combo on some. sometimes u have to do a quick double jump, but mostly its just a full jump

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Ive been using this alot lately and it absolutely destroys. so easy to get people off the stage with and then its just a matter of superior edgeguarding. super easy to gimp cause its so unexpected

also, uthrow->bair works as a true combo on some. sometimes u have to do a quick double jump, but mostly its just a full jump
Is it a RAR B-air or just a regular one? Also at what percent?

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
Is it a RAR B-air or just a regular one? Also at what percent?
just regular but its very frame perfect. it works on falcon from like 25-40% i believe. even reads as a true combo in training. at 25% uthrow->quick double jump bair

edit: also works on ZSS at 0% with a short jump, and 15% with a full jump

Last edited:

Teve31

Smash Rookie
NNID
teve31
-Mario has a ton of combos off of his throws. And a ton of combos that don't involve throws.

-Most of these combos work 90% of the time and a lot of them are true combos. In my opinion you really have to feel a combo in order for it to work. Mario has a lot of options to continue combos and get out of them. Remember as a Mario main you have a ton of combo potentially with various moves. Mix it up. Don't do the same thing over and over again, its boring and doesnt involve much style. Have some style in your gameplay make it unique and combo the hell out of them. Here are some starting combos although there are plenty more than what I'm giving you here are the basics.*

-Important* Remember that these only work when at certain percents, i generally separated the combos for you guys. There are MORE combos than I have typed. Once you get the feel for Mario you will know when to do a certain move or to back off.*

-Conditioning is Important*

-Careful about peoples DI as Mario. Some heavy or fast falling characters such as Captain Falcon, Shiek, Ganandorf, and Bowser ect... can Di towards the ground when you Dthrow them at low percents and get out of a combo string. To get around this you need to get them to around 10% so there DI won't make them hit the ground before your next attack.*

---Low Percents---

-Uthrow>Dair>Dair
-Uthrow>Dair>Fair
-Dthrow>Dtilt>Dtilt>Regrab>Dthrow>Utilt>Utilt (Depending on DI)>Uair>Uair>UpB
-Dthrow>Usmash>Usmash(if they airdodge)
-Bair>Bair
-Bair>Bair>grab>Dthrow>Utilt>various
-Uair>Utilt>Utilt>Utilt>Uair>Uair>UpB
-Bair>Nair>Grab>Utilt ect...
-Nair>Grab>ect...
-Dthrow>UpB
-Uair>Nair

---Mid Percents--- *the weak hitbox of Nairs*

-Dthrow>UpB
-Uair>Uair>UpB
-Nair>Dthrow>UpB(or up air)
-Dtilt>UpB
-Dtilt>Uair>Uair>UpB
-Dair>Various smashes *(Make sure to land on the ground before the move ends so you enemy doesn't fly)
-Nair>Jab
-Nair>Utilt>Uair>Ub (depending on percents)
-Uair>Nair

---High Percents---
-Dair>Various Smashes
-Dair>Grab
-Nair>Grab
-Dtilt>Uair
-Dtilt>UpB
-Nair>Various smashes
:)

Last edited:

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Being a Falcon player, I couldn't help noticing Mario had a similar U-air to falcons. Because of this, I tested to see what sort of similar combos could be pulled off. Then I found out that FF U-air on grounded opponents (Use U-air just before hitting the ground) combos nicely into fair similar to falcons grounded U air to knee combo. I am not sure if this is true, but one setup I found interesting for this combo (or in this case any jab reset). Start far from an edge, with your opponent inbetween you and the far edge. Then, while facing away, do SHBair > Bair (In the same short hop) > Fireball jab reset > SHFF U-Air > Spike. This generally works at mid percent from testing

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Rising full hop uair->fair is pretty good, I believe it punishes air dodges and can be done from a dthrow utilt.

Fthrow->Double Jump Fair punishes people who jump immediately out of hitstun fairly well.

Frame Cancelled Fair has potential to lead nicel into aerials, non frame cancelled works too but for best results definitely cancel.

Epok

Smash Ace
I didn't see this one on there. But If you play with customs, Mario's "strong upB" is a great kill move. Down throw to upB around 90-110 (depending on the character) is a nice kill combo.

Top Bottom