• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any 17 or younger smash players here?

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
I'm 14. I've been playing smash since I was 6. Melee for around 2 years, brawl for 6 years, and now Smash4 is out. It sounds far fetched but someday I want to be the #1 player at a Smash game, whether its this game or the next. I feel like I don't have the resources to really compete. I did get my Dad to drive me an hour to my 1st tournament, but I didn't even get to play all my matches before I had to go. Once I'm able to drive I'll attend as many tournaments as I can. I just need experience. It also doesn't help that NONE of my friends play Smash so I don't have many people I could have over for a smashfest. Maybe my parents would be cool with me inviting a random person from my local smash scene over just to play, but I doubt they would like the idea of that.

ChemicalExperiment

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scienceboy0
I'm 15 and just starting to look into the competitive scene. I've played Brawl casually for 4 years and got the Wii U version on launch day with the intent on getting good in competetive. It's great to see so many young players who have been successful!

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
The most discouraging part of being a smasher at a young age is the lack of travel ability, IMO. But as someone who's played smash since I could hold a controller I was hyped when I learned the game had a competitive scene. Now, as I graduate and begin college I'm much more optimistic about joining the community and rising up in the Mid-West rankings. The moral here is don't lose hope because you're young, put your mind to it and you can beat any of the older smashers out there who've been playing for a long time!

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
The most discouraging part of being a smasher at a young age is the lack of travel ability, IMO. But as someone who's played smash since I could hold a controller I was hyped when I learned the game had a competitive scene. Now, as I graduate and begin college I'm much more optimistic about joining the community and rising up in the Mid-West rankings. The moral here is don't lose hope because you're young, put your mind to it and you can beat any of the older smashers out there who've been playing for a long time!
This is spot on. It'll still be a few years until I can drive and it doesn't help that my mom hates me going to these tournaments with people twice my age.

ChemicalExperiment

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scienceboy0
This is spot on. It'll still be a few years until I can drive and it doesn't help that my mom hates me going to these tournaments with people twice my age.
I'm not even going to suggest tournaments to my parents. They don't even like me playing video games, so I don't think they'd be very happy bringing me to a tournament.

XPyromanicX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eazy5Flash
3DS FC
0344-9812-7584
I'm 14. I've played Brawl for 3 years before switching to Project M and love watching competitive play.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
i'm 14. i played brawl for 2 years then switched to smash 4!

Timmay08

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Timmay08
17 here, played since all of my conscious life which is around when I was 4 years old. Only getting into competitive smash in recent times. Main game is Melee.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I'm not telling my age on a public post but I will say I am younger than 18 and have gotten pretty good records for a beginner so far.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Any Roy Players? Just Asking. Ikno More people use Marth
I kinda like playing roy a little but he has to much lag on his spike, his jab is utterly pointless, and his side b is hard to use for some reason when angled.
Edit: BTW I prefer roy to marth because he has a smaller hitbox, his recovery can be angled a little, his smashes are more powerful, his tilts are ok, and his ariel momentum seems to be more easy to controll

Last edited:

WorldKnownThief

Smash Rookie
17 years of age here, honestly, the younger you are the best chance you have to catch up,so much free time compared to "older" smashers, and your dedication is pretty much on the dot. Everyone gotta start somewhere with smash, look at the Gods, they all started when they were young. Granted yes some won't give you the light of day, but all the more you should get better and show them up you know, just my opinion

CT_Emerl

Smash Cadet
I kinda like playing roy a little but he has to much lag on his spike, his jab is utterly pointless, and his side b is hard to use for some reason when angled.
Edit: BTW I prefer roy to marth because he has a smaller hitbox, his recovery can be angled a little, his smashes are more powerful, his tilts are ok, and his ariel momentum seems to be more easy to controll
Agreed :)

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I'm 16 and have been playing Melee since I was a wee tike, it was actually the first console game I ever played. In early 2012 I got into competitive PM as a Dedede player (though I was on the fence about it). I soon after picked up Melee as well as a Jiggs main but recently I decided to main G&W. It wasn't until January of last year I went to my first tournament here in MA, and it was fun and help me a lot.

I picked up Smash 4 on launch and it was fun at first but I recently quit as it just was too slow for my taste.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
How do you do, fella? I just turned 17 recently. I've been playing Smash Bros since I was a little boy playing the original on the 64 or Melee and I love all of the games... And Luigi. Luigi is my boy.

w00t200thpost.

Any Roy Players? Just Asking. Ikno More people use Marth
ROY'S MY OTHER BOY!

Last edited:

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
For a few years, I was in competitive Brawl when I was around 13-14. Granted, I actually didn't know there was a huge competitive scene during my time, nor did I enter tournaments - only online weeklies on this forum. But I was pretty decent, even though I always never made it out of pools.

I'm 17 right now, and I'm hoping to get better at Smash 4 since I love the competitive implications the game has so far. I can't enter as many tourneys still, since I'm still a full-time high school student, but I'm hoping the scene will be alive by the time I'm in college and I have my license.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I'm hoping the scene will be alive by the time I'm in college and I have my license.
Don't worry the Smash scene isn't going anywhere any time soon!

TheCandyman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3866-8591-8094
I'm turning 16 in Feburary and been trying to get more competitive in Melee and PM

Last edited:

Smashin Smasher

Smash Rookie
Im 14 and I have been playing smash since brawl came out in 2008. The brawl mechanics (and age) made it hard to get better with sombos and more advanced gameplay but now that im 14 and have been playing smash 4 for 2 months I am really starting to think of competitive play once i get better at shiek.

D

Deleted member

I am 13 and have been smashing since I was around 7. I never really became that skilled however until within the past few months with the release of SSB Wii U/3DS. I wouldn't say I'm that tournament worthy but fairly decent.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
14 here. Playing since Brawl/2013 i loved that game... untill my brother sold it along with my first Wii U... and then traded my PS4 and got a new Wii U then later SSBB!

El_Mariachi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Marvinho
I'm 16. :grin: I've been playing Smash casually since I was 4 (I played Melee and Smash 64). Then I played Brawl casually when it came out. I didn't find out about competitive Smash until my friend showed me last year.

Last edited:

fusroyay20

Smash Rookie
Hello CT_Emerl Here :003:: I just turned 14 and ive been playing smash melee for only 3 years. Im not a casual player at all, but at the same time Im not a competitive player(YET). anyways there aren't many Roy players besides sethlon so I roy is my main

Anyways continue your melee journey my friend
Sincerely, CT_Emerl :003: :roymelee:
I want to play Roy, I'm just better with Cloud and Dark Pit.

I'm in the age range, sure, but I'm not going to commit an internet taboo. I play many characters.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
16, I don't get why so many people play this game religiously, sure you get so muc better but you also waste a lot of time. I barely play this game for an hour every day. I know some stupid kid at my school who only plays this game, almost every day. And he's the third best player on the island. It's like, wow you're so good but you play this game so it' snot like it's gonna matter in life its a bloody game.

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
16, been playing to git gud since 14. Sm4sh opened up many comp. games to my knowledge and it's made me simply a better gamer. Although it will take time before I'm good as most of the college players in my area, I'm glad I aknowledged it sooner.

D

Deleted member

I'm 17.
I'm mostly here for the speculation though.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Just because it's a game, doesn't mean anything. Watching a show doesn't matter. Talking with someone doesn't matter. Really, if it matters to the person, it still matters. So if they play Smash seemingly religiously, then it's just their favorite passtime. Even then, some people make a living off of it, so it can actually matter. It's subjective anyway so whatever, right?
no go away

Polliwham

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1607-7629-3749
Switch FC
SW-8235-8952-5893
I'm a 15 year old smash player and sometimes I feel a little alone when I think of how most competitive players are adults who have been playing smash since before I even knew how to say words. Any players on here who are considered to not be an adult and who likes to play competitively? I made this post, because I got tired of seeing all the people saying the "Karissa the Destroyer" hoax couldn't be true since she is I think 10 years old? I know it was proven wrong,but they seem to be under the impression that a kid or teenager can't be good at the game because of their age.
I'm 16 and I play smash fairly regularly. I started with brawl (which is considered late to most) but I got really into it with smash 4 3ds. Then I actually bought a Wii U just for smash 4. I love this game and I've only been to one competitive match, but hey. this game is super fun, and I feel you. It gets weird when your the only young one. if makes you feel... unprepared, and untrained. But, keep working and you will get there.

I main Luigi and Bayonetta, (but i usually don't mention the second one online because you will be burned at the stake)

Top Bottom