• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti Planking With Snake

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
If this is being covered already, forgive me.

Firstly if you haven't seen THIS VIDEO, then watch it immediately.

Snakes should start working on this. According the frame data, it appears that a falling UPAIR would be the most reliable choice for snake. The only problem is that, this knocks Metaknight up in the air, which is probably a bad thing (unless MK is at kill percentage), the only other option would be a BAIR, but since it comes out a bit earlier, it will require stricter timing, or else we will just be kicking an invincible MK off the edge, which is bad. but we need some trials to see what may be our best bet.

Also, since Snake can hug the edge quite quickly, it may be possible for him to SDI of the ledge to an edgehog, and then a bair? Just brainstorming.

Any ideas on this?

-Ran

Smash Master
This relies on too many factors:

1) You must position yourself properly, without giving away what you're going to be doing.
2) You must shield early enough to not perfect shield the up air.
3) You must keep your shield healthy. A shield poke ruins this.
4) You must not hold shield too long if MK doesn't attack. This reduces shield health.
5) You must execute frame perfect shield di in response to your shield being hit on the first frame of shield stun against a two frame move start up move.
6) You must fast fall and aerial MK [who still has momentum control, and the possibility of Up air on frame 2 if you fail any of the above, or his neutral air.

That's many, many moving parts in a plan for Snake [and most characters], when our best options are remaining on stage and using our grenades to hit Meta Knight. Getting off the stage is what Meta Knight wants Snake to do, and with the vast majority of options MK has on the ledge, his ability to reduce the shield health and remove people from a sufficient position to do this is still incredible. If you hold your shield too long and do it too soon before MK up airs, he can do an ascending tornado.

I personally feel this discovery is going to give Meta Knight free gimps off the edge due to the harsh level of focus that is required to do this without failing, compared to the lack of zero effort that Meta Knight applies to choose to up air or any of his other million options.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
I personally feel this discovery is going to give Meta Knight free gimps off the edge due to the harsh level of focus that is required to do this without failing, compared to the lack of zero effort that Meta Knight applies to choose to up air or any of his other million options.
That's exactly how i feel

But, snake can hit MK safely enough without ever having to risk himself .-.
Also, I like how 1janitor shows up randomly every few months to post a new thread then disappears for another season lol

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
This relies on too many factors:

1) You must position yourself properly, without giving away what you're going to be doing.
2) You must shield early enough to not perfect shield the up air.
3) You must keep your shield healthy. A shield poke ruins this.
4) You must not hold shield too long if MK doesn't attack. This reduces shield health.
5) You must execute frame perfect shield di in response to your shield being hit on the first frame of shield stun against a two frame move start up move.
6) You must fast fall and aerial MK [who still has momentum control, and the possibility of Up air on frame 2 if you fail any of the above, or his neutral air.

That's many, many moving parts in a plan for Snake [and most characters], when our best options are remaining on stage and using our grenades to hit Meta Knight. Getting off the stage is what Meta Knight wants Snake to do, and with the vast majority of options MK has on the ledge, his ability to reduce the shield health and remove people from a sufficient position to do this is still incredible. If you hold your shield too long and do it too soon before MK up airs, he can do an ascending tornado.

It's just another mixup.
The thing is, instead of MK being INVINCIBLE while doing this, now there's another option.
The entire point of mk planking is to make yourself in INVINCIBLE. In order to do this, he HAS to drop the ledge and immediately upair. Just the mere fact that this counter to that is possible will discourage metaknight's from planking every time they reach the edge, thus no longer being invincible, and giving Snake and all other characters more options on the stage.
MK doesn't get "free gimps", its a mixup. Whoever guesses wrong loses. And from what it looks like, the worst that could happen is a ledge hop aerial/special. I don't see how you can successfully SDI, immediately aerial, and miss, assuming the frame data is right. It's not an OMG MK COUNTER, but a mixup is MUCH better than MK being untouchable. I think the hardest part will be timing the SDI input, and if you miss it, yeah you spotdodge and get punished. If the MK does his upair late, you should be able to recover and get away before they get back to the stage (I think)
In terms of the difficulty of it, we have not practiced this as a community yet, we have no idea how practical or how hard it is. it honestly doesn't appear to be that hard to me (assuming your opponent is planking normally, and as I said, if they aren't planking perfectly, we have more options anyway.).
Honestly this strategy could singlehandedly kill or severely limit normal, invincible MK planking.

@Xeylode, I lurk the boards a bit, but character boards aren't really that usefull overall after you've read all the main threads. I rarely have anything to say that hasn't been said anyway, but its good to get ideas every now and then.

Smashboards in general has not really taught me all that much. Playing others and copying from them has nearly always been the best way to learn stuff. SWF really only confirms a few things you might be a bit hazy on.

Besides this week's metagame minute makes me think more of how Snake might be able to abuse the shield push from an attack on anyone other than MK. However, I think it should only be used for a KO attempt. I see no reason to risk yourself like this for extra damage.

trickyghost

Smash Cadet
If a MK is planking, there's no way I'm going off the stage and chasing as Snake, MK's time off stage is best used for setting up or replenishing Snake's traps for camping. Plus, Snake has plenty of options for hitting MK when he's off stage (cooked grenades/nikita/mortar), but I guess if you wanted to try something stupidly risky you can b-air MK while he's planking to stage spike him if he is at a high enough percentage XD

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
It's way too risky with Snake, even if you hit metaknight you could still get gimped lol.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
God (is my rock) has spoken.

sdi-ing to instagrabbing the ledge (after walking forward with a nade) sounds promising though.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
God (is my rock) has spoken.

sdi-ing to instagrabbing the ledge (after walking forward with a nade) sounds promising though.
LOL, I actually recorded that but didn't put it in the video

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
nade next to ledge, snake holding ledge with mk offstage...

he's probably going to get hit.

and he really can't hit you.

JTsm

Smash Master
I just Sheildnade. Probably the best option we have. lol

Top Bottom