• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Answered] Best options in neutral with Roy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
I've been playing Roy ever since he was released, and he's my 2nd best chaarcter alongside Shulk and Ness. I've put a lot of time into this character, and I think I've got the hang of him perfectly.

One problem however, while not significant, is still something I should work on. What's the best/safest option in neutral with Roy?

I find myself mostly going for grabs to do down throw, using short hopped fast falled neutral air, or using Double Edge Dance, and while they work, I do get punished sometimes.

So I was wondering if you guys could give me any tips to improve this.

Last edited:

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Well, I have many issues in the neutral/approaching other people myself, so my opinion might not be valid. But I'll give it a shot.

What you want to do in the neutral is try to get a grab or start a combo with Jab, D-Tilt, and N-Air. If you manage to get a Jab off, something I like to do is D-throw > Jab > re-grab and follow up accordingly. With N-Air, what you can do to prevent an optimal punish is cross up (I am certain this is the correct term) your opponent's shield by landing behind it. That way, they can't get a shield grab and you have the opportunity to grab them right out of their shield if their reaction is slow. I would also try to refrain from using DED because it is highly punishable if you don't hit and I personally never seem to connect with the move. If you know how to use it, however, it can be a very useful tool.

In neutral, nothing is going to be totally safe because of Roy's lack of a safe move on shield, in a game where shields are a great option. But you can play defensively and in a more "bait and punish" play-style to overcome your opponent. You can also rush down your opponent with N-Air (what I usually do due to my hyper-aggressive play-style).

I hope this helped you!

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Well, I have many issues in the neutral/approaching other people myself, so my opinion might not be valid. But I'll give it a shot.

What you want to do in the neutral is try to get a grab or start a combo with Jab, D-Tilt, and N-Air. If you manage to get a Jab off, something I like to do is D-throw > Jab > re-grab and follow up accordingly. With N-Air, what you can do to prevent an optimal punish is tomahawk (am I using the right term?) your opponents shield by landing behind it. That way, they can't get a shield grab and you have the opportunity to grab them right out of their shield if their reaction is slow. I would also try to refrain from using DED because it is highly punishable if you don't hit and I personally never seem to connect with the move. If you know how to use it, however, it can be a very useful tool.

In neutral, nothing is going to be totally safe because of Roy's lack of a safe move on shield, in a game where shields are a great option. But you can play defensively and in a more "bait and punish" play-style to overcome your opponent. You can also rush down your opponent with N-Air (what I usually do due to my hyper-aggressive play-style).

I hope this helped you!
Hmmm, these are pretty useful tips. I'll keep waiting to see what other people think to be sure.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
My options in neutral are usually Dtilt, fair and b-reverse standard B, the standard B is practically u punishable and can help you win the neutral. Fair is great because of it's IASA frames and how fast it is, Nair is also great, however, I often get punished for it so I don't know how useful it is...

Last edited:

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
My go to options in the neutral game consists of Nairs and Tomahawks. I usually start off with well spaced Nairs to condition shielding if I see the shields more then I go for tomahawks. Dtilts to space along with Bairs.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
My neutral game with Roy consists of dance trotting, nair, and short hop fair. You can act out of a shorthop fair before landing which makes it great at bluffing a commitment against someone's shield, making them think they can punish, and then punish their whiff.

Nair in general is a super good move and you can get away with it.

Dance trotting can bait them to do stupid things.

Other than that, try to power shield everything they throw at you and abuse your disjointed jabs, dtilts, and side bs.

Also, jesus **** you have a lot of characters you play. The entire half of the cast are either your mains or secondaries. You should really reconsider that, have 2 characters tops. maybe 3 if you REALLY want to, otherwise you just won't get good enough in time. Trying to focus on a main or two until you know their ins and outs is a lot better than slightly knowing a lot of characters. Most good characters can overcome any bad MU they have so no need for a million pockets.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Nair and d-tilt are the only moves you need to know.

If you are getting punished for a Nair, then you are doing something horribly wrong.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
A couple of things to keep in mind before I start here. First, Roy has one of the best airspeeds in the game. He is exceptionally fast in the air. Second, he also has a decently fast ground speed too.

Your 3 best moves in the neutral aside from grabs are your nair, your dtilt, and your jab. These aren't safe without rules though. You have to space them out right, you can't just do them right in the opponents face. As I mentioned before, Roy has a very fast airspeed. This makes minute spacing your nair on mobile opponents very difficult. If you're just dashing all the time, all of your approaches are going to put you too close to your opponent after the nair and you will get grabbed. Master walking. Get good at simply being able to walk in high pressure situations and your neutral with Roy will improve by an order or magnitude. If you are spaced out, it is very difficult to get in vs Roy, because nair jab and dtilt are all way too fast for your opponent to deal with and can cover pretty much any option they choose as long as you choose correctly how to respond. This strategy falls apart vs characters with better disjoints than Roy though, as you won't be able to throw out your normally safe moves as often. This is honestly the main reason that Roy loses weird matchups that he really shouldn't, like Marth.

Roy's airspeed combined with his fast fall status and ground speed also makes his tomahawks very deadly. Consider the situation where you are trying to jump in vs your opponent. From your opponents perspective, Roy is likely to do a couple of different things: the most likely in their mind is going to be a nair, since this is Roy's safest on shield aerial and allows him to continue pressure after landing. Roy may also try to do a fair and retreat with double jump during the IASA frames. Lastly, Roy could try to empty land and go for a grab, or even a grounded Up B, which has super armor. Those last two options are especially potent. It basically creates a mindgaming situation where your opponent has to shield(to block an aerial approach or a empty landing into blazer), or they have to throw out some move to beat an empty landing grab. If they choose one and you do the other, you WILL hit them. The same thing goes for you, though if they shield your nair then you still have the advantage and can try to dtilt them or grab them or whatever. Obviously going for a blazer is a really hard read, but if you program your opponent to respond to your empty landing grabs throughout the game, you can land it to close out a stock.

TLDR In short, your neutral game is going to consist of the standard bait and punish stuff that everyone does, and then nair, jab, dtilt and empty landing into other moves. Practice hard on spacing nair, and controlling your airspeed so you aren't going full blast all the time(the biggest common Roy mistake imo).

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
With N-Air, what you can do to prevent an optimal punish is tomahawk (am I using the right term?) your opponents shield by landing behind it.
That's known as a cross-up. Tomahawking would be empty hopping to bait a shield and grabbing them/reacting appropriately. Tomahawking is a pretty good option for Roy considering his fall speed and options out of a throw, as mentioned by others here.

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Also, jesus **** you have a lot of characters you play. The entire half of the cast are either your mains or secondaries. You should really reconsider that, have 2 characters tops. maybe 3 if you REALLY want to, otherwise you just won't get good enough in time. Trying to focus on a main or two until you know their ins and outs is a lot better than slightly knowing a lot of characters. Most good characters can overcome any bad MU they have so no need for a million pockets.
Yeah, that's something I REALLY gotta clear up. I'm not actually a tournament player since I've never actually been to one, but I'm trying my best to improve so that if one day I do get to go to one, I can do decently and improve from there.

I'll start narrowing it down to see what characters I would actually use in tournaments since a couple of these, while I have knowledge of, I pretty much only use for fum.

One thing I am sure though is that my main trio has always consisted of Shulk, Roy, and Ness, and they'll definitely be my main tournament picks.

That aside though, I've tried all the different stuff you guys have suggested, and after trying all the different strategies, I really don't seem to have any trouble in neutral with Roy anymore, so thanks a ton, everyone!

Last edited:

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
That's known as a cross-up. Tomahawking would be empty hopping to bait a shield and grabbing them/reacting appropriately. Tomahawking is a pretty good option for Roy considering his fall speed and options out of a throw, as mentioned by others here.
Alright, I always mix those up. Gotta get used to fixing my vocabulary. Thanks for the correction!

knu_OOKA

Smash Cadet
NNID
ukah19
3DS FC
5370-0495-9774
I like lots of empty hops. Empty hopping helps me space falling nairs (my bnb neutral) and can bait my opponent into attempting to hit me air-to-air, while I'll already be on the ground ready to hit them with a jab/dtilt. Empty hopping also keeps me on my toes, mentally and literally, and helps with tomahawking. Roy plays like Falcon but more zoning-oriented.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I tend to SHFF a plenty as main form of movement a lot when in neutral and attempting to approach, tho sometimes I try to walk when more in defensive mode or slowing down a bit. It lets me space in a dime due Roy's air speed and fast fall speed and for most part opponents tend to shield if I'm near. Grab them up for combos or trap-setups, fun stuff.
If vulnerable, I go for N-Air or F-tilt depending on the optimal place but for most part.

When gaining advantage, N-Air is amazing to build it up or string to other setups or possible situations to pressure opponent further. Fun stuff x2.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Sourspot Nair is safe on shield. Even though the tipper does less damae it also has less hitlag so if you time it perfectly you can act before they can punish you.

When using your aerials on shield Fair and Bair are safe too if you force crossups with them. What I mean by this is hit the shield with your back and the hitbox will push them in front of you, putting you in their back and making it impossible for them to shieldgrab you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom