• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

another new use of the QAC and a nonexclusive to pika wall jumping in-depth thing

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
So, I recently was around the PT forums for some reason, and some guy posted that you can get a super fire spin from charizard if you use his up special on a platform right as its rising, such as occurs in yoshi's island and delfino plaza...well long story short, I was practicing my QACing tonight, and there was a ramp. So i QAC on the ramp and I kinda did the same thing, not only was I able to get more of a movement boost in the upward direction of the ramp, but i was able to do another QAC at the top of the ramp, or jump...just something to keep in mind. I can't really think of an applicable use for this, but I thought it was interesting, nonetheless.

EDIT: So I was messing around with this (the first part), and if you QAC into the ramp either sideways or from above, and then use a special attack, such as thunder...it slides you just a little bit. This is extremely noticeable on Green Hill Zone, against one of the half-pipes. Again, don't know the usefulness just something to note; maybe it could be used similarly to the wavebouncing from platforms.

Secondly, I have been working on this one awhile, and while it may be known that you can wall jump on certain levels to avoid edgeguarding and save your 2nd jump, or recovery, I think I found another application of this. Basically if you hold on to the edge, and press downback (away from the stage) + jump + Attack, you get a very nicely timed ledgehopped Bair. But if you do it a different way with slightly a different input, you get a very nicely timed ledgehopped Fair, FACING AWAY FROM THE STAGE. Now this can be used as another edgeguarding trick, since you can DI back to the edge w/o having to recover, and the fifth hit of the fair has some nice knockback, and since its close to the side of the screen already, it would have more killing potential. Stealth and I did some testing for this, and we decided that it was a wall jump that allowed us to face the opposite direction, but the timing was so close that it was hard to tell. So far the only way I have found to consistently do this technique is to press back (away from the stage), and immediately press toward the stage and jump at the same time, to wall jump, then Attack to do the fair. The timing is almost synonymous with each other so the window is not very large. if you mess up you will just do a bair and can try again, so if you mess up its not a total loss.

We should call this the reverse or something, since you can just do an empty ledge drop, wall jump too, or have a pause and nair (good for killing too), as well as the fair. Uair and dair don't make that much difference as to which way you are facing, that's why I left them out. Initially, I could only find two places that this worked on: FD, and the waiting area for wi-fi, making it really only one. I hypothesized this was because FD has a little lip that allows wall jumping off of (the little slant right below the edge). Wi-fi makes this harder, even with minimal lag, but I was able to do it with both fair and nair.

Bunny and I did some testing, and we came up with a list of characters that can do this reverse (character size matters here, since if the character is too large, you grab the edge and cannot wall jump), as well as a list for stages this technique works on:

Characters:

:squirtle:: Average
:sonic:: Average
:pikachu2:: Excellent
:toonlink:: Excellent

Stages: Warioware, Distant Planet, Pictochat, Final Destination, New Pork City (except the bottom ledge and rightmost ledge), Frigate Orpheon, Bridge of Eldin, Green Greens, Hyrule (except the ledges on the extreme of each side), Port Town Aero Drive, Green Hill Zone (when part of the stage falls), and Delfino Plaza (only on the grass pillar transformation).

While I was practicing this, Bunny came up with an alternate version of this move. You ledge drop, fall a little ways, then wall jump, then 2nd jump away from stage and use a move, then recover. At first, this seemed like a more practical and much more use on other levels such as Yoshi's island, Delfino Plaza (certain parts), Corneria (the fin only as we were unable to wall jump off the engine at the rear), and levels in general with walls. After further testing the list was increased greatly, since by being able to do this variation, you must be able to do the reverse, so this list is including all of the previously mentioned stages, plus:

Shadow Moses Island, Battlefield, Castle Seige, Rainbow Cruise (you can wall jump off of the fin beneath the ship too), Summit, Pokemon Stadium 2 (the Ground transformation), Spear Pillar, Corneria, Onett, Brinstar (only when the platform is split in the middle), Pokemon Stadium 1 (a little spot below the edge is where you can wall jump in addition to the pillar in the center), Halberd (when you land on the actual ship, below the deck), and Delfino Plaza (every other transformation besides the transition where you are floating on the platform).

If stages aren't listed, it's because I could not find a way to wall jump / reverse, I tried to make sure I tested all of each stage's transformations.

We also did tests to see which characters were most effective at this. The results basically showed that the effectiveness was based on their recovery; the better the recovery, the better the effect. Each character that could wall jump (or wall hang / wall jump) was given an Excellent, Average, or a Bad. These are the same rating system as above.

Excellent (Being in the position way off stage helps set up for an easy k.o. or preventing the opponent from returning, and able to return to the stage with ease. Usually has a way to get the opponent off the stage with relative ease as well):

:toonlink:
:pikachu2:
:lucario:
:samus2:

Average (While they can easily return to the stage, being extra far from the stage doesn't benefit them as much):

:zerosuitsamus:
:squirtle:
:fox:
:sonic:
:shiek:
:diddy:
:mario2:

Bad (either angled recovery isn't that great, or just plain sucks):

:falco:
:wolf:
:falcon:

I hope this information has proved useful, and please do some more testing, I will myself, and also I am trying to get a video up with in-combat uses, as well as a demonstration, with every character that can do it. If I missed any character that can wall jump, please also let me know.

Oh a side note, while testing this, I discovered that if you wall jump from one side of Shadow Moses Island, DI enough, then jump, more DI, and finally a Fair, you can actually attack the other side of the stage. Now tell me that isn't useless :chuckle:

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
Haha, wi-fi me and I'll show you

edit: so something completely unrelated but cool: if you are in a custom stage and the half platforms (idk what they are, the ones that are only half the height of the normal flat one), if you stand with your face touching an edge, and there are a few of them in a row, the t-jolt goes under the first one, and above all of the rest. if you stand just a little bit back further, it just does nothing and cancels itself much like on an edge. But if you are further back, or can time it so the jump part of the t-jolt hits the platform, then it goes across the tops again...

phaMR2

Smash Apprentice
yay. added.

EDIT: holy **** that was cool. i saw yours and you went straight off away from the ledge. my version went slightly inward and then away from the edge.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
So let me get this straight.... it's doing a Fair out of a Walljump, or some kind of HUURRRGH SUPERBOOOOOOOST kinda thing?

phaMR2

Smash Apprentice
idk, how to describe it, but this is what piman demonstrated to me:

grab ledge, jump off, bair. but the way he did it, he was able to go pretty far off the ledge, and still come back to grab it.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
Except that was me messing up. its supposed to do a fair in the opposite direction as the stage lol

edit: OP edited to reflect some testing we did tonight

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling I'm missing something here. I've added you on wi-fi via the Pikachu Friend Code topic, Piman34. My code's there, too.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
I gotta do some errands but I'll play you when I get back muhznit, I think I added you too and try to show you both

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Hmm...it seems some of you aren't getting it. I'll try to explain:

Go to Yoshi's Island since it has the easiest wall to do this on. Drop down with Pikachu and when you're near the side wall, press the opposite direction to wall jump. You're now turned in the opposite direction and can do any aerial. With Pikachu's recovery you'll make it back fine and put alot of pressure on an opponent coming back. You can do this on any stage with a wall, but Yoshi's Island appears to be the easiest.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
Yeah, exactly, and use your second jump after the wall jump for even more distance...my trick(reverse) is this, except jumping/wall jumping from the ledge, not the wall below it :) Thanks bunny

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
So its basically just walljump edgeguarding? I wouldn't call it an advanced tech, but just useful.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
maybe i did a bad job about posting two things in a single thread, but what are yall's opinions on the first part of my post, about the angled QAC? just wondering if it's something practical ( I think it might be, since delfino has LOTS of slanted platforms) Just wondering

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Nice find dude.

I also will be keeping my eyes on this thread.

I cant wait to beast my mates with this.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Seems in the first part you are saying moreso that if you QA on a ramp, you get extra distance...or i just can't understand what you are writing. Please clarify.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
thats it, you get more distance from the QAC if you angle the QAC into the platform, but if you do it straight down onto a slanted platform, or just a QAC in place, and then perform a special, i.e. thunder or t-jolt, you move down the ramp even further

phaMR2

Smash Apprentice
does it matter if the slanted platform is an incline or a decline?

example: going from left to right up a ramp/going from left to right down a ramp

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
nope, just keep in mind you go toward the bottom of the ramp, whatever side its on...just useful for mindgames i guess lol

Scissors Sir

Smash Ace
This has already been explained and there are videos/tutorials of it on youtube

It's so simple though that I don't see why a tutorial would be needed but...

You just have to quickly press away from the ledge and jump very close together

Nothing more. Nothing less.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
Please provide such links? Cuz I did look, and I have NEVER seen anyone use it, so even if it does exist, there may still be a point to bring it up as an alternative edgeguarding/off stage combat tool, and I am not going to complain if there is more stuff being added to an arsenal of awesomeness...

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
>_> isn't this an obvious thread? Of course when you QA on a ramp you will slide...the special thing is kinda cool but not many legal tournament stages have big ramps...

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
I thought delfino was tourney legal? And that has alot, like almost every time the stage transforms to the floating thing? and i'm sure it would work with YI too, on the edges/middle, maybe on Frigate? Just saying that its yet another thing to consider lol no big

gallax

Smash Hero
melee =/= brawl. anyone who has played should know that. i mean the uair doesnt spike anymore! but its good that people know that they can incorporate wall jumping into their playstyle now.

krehz

Smash Ace
ya not sure, but i think i already know this lol again not sure so piman just play me tonight k? lol

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
maybe, if im available with a wii sure (i am house sitting tonight and tomorrow), but i might bring my wii ^_^

Top Bottom