• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Announcement from the Legacy Team

D

Deleted member

We have our reasons and remember, this is v1 and others may have a chance
For the metal sonic over shadow first off it's debatable about the quality, second of all there is someone actively working on metal sonic, unlike all the other shadow mods which have pretty much died. I also know that a lot of people complain about shadow to begin with but I really don't think that was a major factor
Well, what are all the character mods that are actually worth a damn?

The only ones that I was aware of were the Waluigi one, Pyotr's Bomberman, Bagan's Ridley, BGG's Ganondorf, and one of the dozens of Shadow the Hedgehog mods. And ofc, the PM forbidden 4, of which, only Knuckles is really finished, with Lyn being like 50% done, and the other two still needing a lot of work.

It's just my personal opinion, but the only character mods that SHOULD be added, are the ones that are of optimum quality really. That's why I'm kinda skeptical of having the likes of Lucina and Geno on the pack, especially since Lucina for example has really janky animations that look awfully amateurish. I mean, I'm not against it really. Since it's more character slots, and it saves me the time of getting what I want in through PMEX. But I agree that having 80+ characters in just because it's someone that's kinda cool to see, even if the mod is of very bad quality, is a pretty bad idea. I think people should think about the thought process the PM Dev team went through when deciding on what 4 characters they would add. Not because they should act in the same spirit, but because their criteria showed good game design philosophy. Quality over Quantity I always say, and also, in the same vein, just because a Deadpool mod might be very polished and well done, doesn't necesarilly mean it's really worth having in, all things considered.

Only the actual release will tell, but I trust they'll have a good amount of quality control with the new characters especially (hopefully just everything). Assumptions are bad, but I would guess that this entire month since the trailers release has been quality control, because usually you don't release a trailer until a game is 95-100% finished. I mean I guess there's also Retro Mode and Project Ganon, but I do think that the amount we've waited after the trailer is signaling that they're making sure the mod is of the highest quality that they can make it. Also I mostly just skimmed the forums so if I'm entirely misinformed on something, sorry about that.

mamimami

Smash Rookie
1.When is this coming out? LOOKS AMAZING!!
2. Will there be patches and updates?
3. Wish the stages were like in PM/ and less
4. How big will this be (GB?) ?
1. Soon™
2. Yes, there will
3. We are keeping everything PM and XPanding it
4. Around 4 GBs

NXero

Smash Apprentice
I really hope this isn't the case. I don't think we need another 80+ half-***** character EX mod.
This is not a random BV build, I doubt we'll see characters thrown in the build just because they exist. All the characters included now have some degree of polish and can be considered "finished" even if they still need work, particularly in the animation department

The only ones that I was aware of were the Waluigi one, Pyotr's Bomberman, Bagan's Ridley, BGG's Ganondorf, and one of the dozens of Shadow the Hedgehog mods. And ofc, the PM forbidden 4, of which, only Knuckles is really finished, with Lyn being like 50% done, and the other two still needing a lot of work.

It's just my personal opinion, but the only character mods that SHOULD be added, are the ones that are of optimum quality really. That's why I'm kinda skeptical of having the likes of Lucina and Geno on the pack, especially since Lucina for example has really janky animations that look awfully amateurish.
I agree with you, but Lucina fits your criteria, it's just that some animations look really bad, like the taunt in the trailer. Isaac and Sami look a lot worse in their current state, and you want to include them.
Geno only needed a few tweaks to fit PM, and they have said that they're working on fixing the new characters. Just because you don't care about a character, doesn't make it bad, I don't care about Metal Sonic or a third Link, but if they're well done, I'll welcome them. Anime and other non-game characters should stay a way though, even if they're the most polished mods ever. Anime-like game characters are fine, like someone from a RPG, but I would still keep 3rd party characters to a minimun.
I really hope Project Ganondorf isn't included, I've been playing it for about a month and it's simply not balanced, the item glitches don't help either. I'm gonna take a look at Triforce Ganondorf today

And about that last post up there, 8GB should be fine if you have the iso on a separate USB, right?

mamimami

Smash Rookie
I really hope Project Ganondorf isn't included, I've been playing it for about a month and it's simply not balanced, the item glitches don't help either. I'm gonna take a look at Triforce Ganondorf today
You can play with PM Ganon if you want...

NXero

Smash Apprentice
No, because you need the mod's files, and Brawl is more than 8GBs already.
No, I mean having the iso in a external HDD and the mod itself on a 8GB card, not both on the card

I know, but I can't stop my friends from using it :p

edit: just noticed I didn't clarify in the other post, but I meant that I hope he doesn't make it in in it's current state, of course. He can be fixed with a few changes, mainly Magic Ganon. The fire attack that can potentially trap you for a long time, the grab (long ass range, you can't even spotdodge it), etc. Just small changes that would make him not a pain to fight against

Last edited:

mamimami

Smash Rookie
No, I mean having the iso in a external HDD and the mod itself on a 8GB card, not both on the card
Well, I didn't knew you could do that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
He can be fixed with a few changes, mainly Magic Ganon. The fire attack that can potentially trap you for a long time, the grab (long *** range, you can't even spotdodge it), etc. Just small changes that would make him not a pain to fight against
We are fixing and balancing every character that we are adding, and Project Ganondorf is still a WIP afaik

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I really hope this isn't the case. I don't think we need another 80+ half-***** character EX mod.
If the trailer is anything to go by, you have nothing to worry about. These guys are dedicated to quality, and they really do know what they're doing. But will they reach 80+? No, I don't think so. We're at what, 49? Well, I expect maybe 5-10 more, maybe. There's no telling if they'll add anything else. However, no matter what they do, these people are dedicated to quality.

D

Deleted member

How are you guys doing the Project Ganondorf bit exactly? Are you having 3 Ganons? Or are you having different packs allowing people to choose? Personally, I'm only interested in Magic Ganondorf, as he's the most unique of them all.

ToaFierceDeityLink

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-4697-8610
Switch FC
SW-8454-1587-3988
How are you guys doing the Project Ganondorf bit exactly? Are you having 3 Ganons? Or are you having different packs allowing people to choose? Personally, I'm only interested in Magic Ganondorf, as he's the most unique of them all.
ok, so if i recall correctly Magic ganon as somepeople seem to call him (the Ganon with an Oot Ganon moveset) is his own character and Sword Ganon shares a slot with PM Ganon via L-Loading

DarkSimorgh

Smash Cadet
I don't have a concern with the quality of people added, I have a problem with "so we'll see 8 new characters I hope next time around". It's when people put numbers to things, as if that makes any difference. I can't even think of 8 different characters that would be a quality addition to this mod if polished up and reworked(Knuckles, Shadow, basically just those two). I have problems with people concerned with having more characters to play, as opposed to quality characters to play. I definitely agree with all the comments, I just also don't agree with people who judge a mod or game by the amount of characters added.

DualX

Smash Apprentice
I can't even think of 8 different characters that would be a quality addition to this mod if polished up and reworked(Knuckles, Shadow, basically just those two).
Then you haven't been following the community long enough. Ridley and Waluigi have been in development for a good time, at least openly here, and there's more on the way. They are adding the last three characters that did not make a return from Melee (plus they will have original movesets which I am looking forward to seeing). As for the others (Geno, Metal Sonic, Lucina), they are characters that people have been wanting at least in some degree otherwise they wouldn't be working on them. And they seem to have a sizable amount of folks working on this project as a whole, so I'm not concerned with there being a lack of quality on release.

DarkSimorgh

Smash Cadet
Then you haven't been following the community long enough. Ridley and Waluigi have been in development for a good time, at least openly here, and there's more on the way. They are adding the last three characters that did not make a return from Melee (plus they will have original movesets which I am looking forward to seeing). As for the others (Geno, Metal Sonic, Lucina), they are characters that people have been wanting at least in some degree otherwise they wouldn't be working on them. And they seem to have a sizable amount of folks working on this project as a whole, so I'm not concerned with there being a lack of quality on release.
I haven't been following the community long enough? That literally doesn't mean anything, considering you don't know that about me. I have been, and the problem isn't the idea of characters to add, it's the lack of available 1st-party mods and 3rd-party mods that are already at a quality where it only requires fine-tuning or PM-adaptation to turn into an actual character. The only really good mods I could think of that fit that criteria are slim, and the rest are Deadpool, Goku, and some others.

armyman12345

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been following the community long enough? That literally doesn't mean anything, considering you don't know that about me. I have been, and the problem isn't the idea of characters to add, it's the lack of available 1st-party mods and 3rd-party mods that are already at a quality where it only requires fine-tuning or PM-adaptation to turn into an actual character. The only really good mods I could think of that fit that criteria are slim, and the rest are Deadpool, Goku, and some others.
Actually, it does mean something. It's basic common knowledge that Waluigi and Ridley have been in development for quite some time. If you don't know this fact, then that means you must be new.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
While this is mostly a modpack, the dev team are also willing to develop and balance incomplete or unbalanced mods. While adding more characters is unlikely, it's still a possibility, and with mods for characters like Isaac, Knuckles, and even Little Mac going around, the mod doesn't have to be top-quality, because the dev team is willing to update the mod to fit with Legacy XP.

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys!

I have to say I personally dislike manga references. Don't be mad at me, I do like manga, but if we have anime suits and mentions in Legacy, it just doesn't seem a Smash game.

I know I can replace music/costumes, but in order to create a profesional-like modpack, this is something I wouls take into account.

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Hi guys!

I have to say I personally dislike manga references. Don't be mad at me, I do like manga, but if we have anime suits and mentions in Legacy, it just doesn't seem a Smash game.

I know I can replace music/costumes, but in order to create a profesional-like modpack, this is something I wouls take into account.
*gets mad at u*

haha totally kidding. I agree with this.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Just wondering, could we get a potential release date for this? The hype is just eating away at the shambles of my soul. I cannot wait.

DarkSimorgh

Smash Cadet
Actually, it does mean something. It's basic common knowledge that Waluigi and Ridley have been in development for quite some time. If you don't know this fact, then that means you must be new.
Who said anything about Waluigi and Ridley? My original post was saying a person hopes they 8+ characters. That means seperate from the ones already on the mod pack. It literally says nothing because you are assuming I don't even know what characters are currently on the development criteria. Don't sit there and pretend I don't know what the heck Waluigi and Ridley are. I'm saying beyond the characters that are already slated to be added, I could not think of another 8 characters beyond those that would be a reasonable addition to LXP. That isn't an insane thought. An insane thought would be assuming I don't know about some of the most popular PSAs without actually looking at the context of my responses.

DarkSimorgh

Smash Cadet

I did. Read your first post on this page.
Umm check my history? I literally haven't mentioned them until YOU brought it up,and I've never once claimed to not know certain characters were being added. Eitheryou quoted more than one person in a response, or somehow you're mixing me with another person. Either way, youre wrong and theres an easy way to figure that out. You aren't even trying to have a debate at this point or at all.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
*gets mad at u*

haha totally kidding. I agree with this.
Thanks! Keep going man, I love your work. By the way, don't be mad at me once again, but I would introduce robot costumes for Ness. Don't know if they fit the game in a competitive way, but it's just a random idea.

DualX

Smash Apprentice
Umm check my history? I literally haven't mentioned them until YOU brought it up,and I've never once claimed to not know certain characters were being added.
I think you need to calm down. You said you couldn't think of any quality mods other than Knuckles or Shadow. That's why I listed them.

Eitheryou quoted more than one person in a response, or somehow you're mixing me with another person.
how do i read words

Yes. I quoted you and someone else.

Either way, youre wrong
ok lol

DarkSimorgh

Smash Cadet
I think you need to calm down. You said you couldn't think of any quality mods other than Knuckles or Shadow. That's why I listed them.
Yes, quality mods that aren't already included in LXP. When someone says I hope the next version adds another 8 characters, I think it's safe to assume that is in addition to the characters already in the mod pack(considering there are already 7 added, 8 with OoT Ganon). There isn't any reason to assume I don't acknowledge characters in the build as high quality or not, considering the discussion was concerning adding more characters into the build. Oh, and run-on sentences suck. Whoops.

MrGamerChad

Smash Rookie
I know in the trailer for Legacy XP that the melee clones were each getting their own movesets unique to them. But I can't help but wonder HOW unique they'll be.

Will their movesets be totally altered or will it be kind of like a Mewtwo to Lucario type of comparison where only one major special or standard attack is the same?

EpicDude6951

Smash Rookie
NNID
JamesMicheal
This looks so awesome! But, can I have a release date besides Soon™? Sorry if I sound like I'm rushing you. I'm just SO HYPED

geno senpai

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
when they've finished up MAKING THE GAME and they're up to the next step - RELEASING THE GAME - they will give us a RELEASE DATE. it sounds pretty obvious hey!!!!

Szion

Smash Journeyman

It's just my personal opinion, but the only character mods that SHOULD be added, are the ones that are of optimum quality really. That's why I'm kinda skeptical of having the likes of Lucina and Geno on the pack, especially since Lucina for example has really janky animations that look awfully amateurish. I mean, I'm not against it really. Since it's more character slots, and it saves me the time of getting what I want in through PMEX. But I agree that having 80+ characters in just because it's someone that's kinda cool to see, even if the mod is of very bad quality, is a pretty bad idea. I think people should think about the thought process the PM Dev team went through when deciding on what 4 characters they would add. Not because they should act in the same spirit, but because their criteria showed good game design philosophy. Quality over Quantity I always say, and also, in the same vein, just because a Deadpool mod might be very polished and well done, doesn't necesarilly mean it's really worth having in, all things considered.
I happen to be working towards a balanced shadow PM moveset and honestly, without the time stop,, ridiculous knockback, weird stuns, he feels like a respectable character. I think shadow is a more relevant choice than metal sonic, but i enjoy them equally and think both deserved a shot at roster addition. i think in the future my or someones version of shadow could have a shot at inclusion for legacy. the animations are decent, (final chapter shadow as the base), balance is mostly there atm, and he feels very different from sonic, which is important when including a new char, character diversity.

you raise a good point of someone actively working on metal tho. shadows been like the wet dream since sonic reveal and that was almost a decade ago. So the work for it was all done lonnnng ago. Hell, if legacy said "we need a balanced shadow that looks nice and plays nice"

i'd be down to do what needs to be done to get shadow in this pack.

though since its brawlex the value of that is mitigated. we can just add him ourselves yknow?

also, that was an amazing and well-written post. I like your take on PMEX and its a similar philosophy i keep in mind when trying to balance and add to my build, even though its mostly a spin-off of ALM's.

as for the comments on the curent additions, lucina animations are...well i think they're passable. up air ehhh but i didnt mind much of anything other than down air. i personally prefer her with marth down air/down tilt

geno looks great to me, i havent a single issue with him animation wise, where do u think hes lacking? maybe his nair should be a cape spinning "slash" effect with arms to the sides instead of up i guess
only other "issue" i found was that the base PSA is bottom tier potential. figured id give him shield dmg on down B and better throws. worked out nicely.

Last edited:

DarkSimorgh

Smash Cadet
I happen to be working towards a balanced shadow PM moveset and honestly, without the time stop,, ridiculous knockback, weird stuns, he feels like a respectable character. I think shadow is a more relevant choice than metal sonic, but i enjoy them equally and think both deserved a shot at roster addition. i think in the future my or someones version of shadow could have a shot at inclusion for legacy. the animations are decent, (final chapter shadow as the base), balance is mostly there atm, and he feels very different from sonic, which is important when including a new char, character diversity.

you raise a good point of someone actively working on metal tho. shadows been like the wet dream since sonic reveal and that was almost a decade ago. So the work for it was all done lonnnng ago. Hell, if legacy said "we need a balanced shadow that looks nice and plays nice"

i'd be down to do what needs to be done to get shadow in this pack.

though since its brawlex the value of that is mitigated. we can just add him ourselves yknow?

also, that was an amazing and well-written post. I like your take on PMEX and its a similar philosophy i keep in mind when trying to balance and add to my build, even though its mostly a spin-off of ALM's.

as for the comments on the curent additions, lucina animations are...well i think they're passable. up air ehhh but i didnt mind much of anything other than down air. i personally prefer her with marth down air/down tilt

geno looks great to me, i havent a single issue with him animation wise, where do u think hes lacking? maybe his nair should be a cape spinning "slash" effect with arms to the sides instead of up i guess
only other "issue" i found was that the base PSA is bottom tier potential. figured id give him shield dmg on down B and better throws. worked out nicely.
I don't think geno is lacking at all tbh. Played him since before PM was popular, and forgot he existed for the longest time after the fact. He's just a clean character. Don't understand people's problem with him.

NichoMania

Smash Cadet
Hey, so, long time fan. I don't know if David will even see this but here's hoping!
If you guys have so many people working on it, do you think someone could make an actual retro/n64 Lucas (AKA based on the Mother 64 concept art that exists?)

I think it's obvious which one's the blonde boy from the out of Nowhere. (P.S. don't look into Boney's eyes, he can smell fear...)

here's another pic for a more 3d look:

If you guys need time or simply can't do it, it's cool.
I just thought it'd be a nice reference to the true roots of Mother 3 and what kind of retro look Lucas was originally going to have! :4lucas:

P.S. I'd be fine if it's a separate skin if the retro Lucas you already have fits more in line with his Brawl counterpart. just saw the potential for a nostalgia nod is all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom