• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Annals of the Heavens - The Pits User Listing and Video Thread

Mr. ShinyUmbreon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0576-7060-3860
I'm not much of a competitive player, but I think people really underestimate his place in the tier list. To me, (once again, I'm no competitive player) he seems at least A tier.
I think Pit is either High Mid tier with R.O.B. and Greninja or Low High with Captain Falcon and Villager.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Thanks Mr. ShinyUmbreon Mr. ShinyUmbreon

It feels really good to beat the #1 ranked player in my state. After that day, I'm now like 3-5 (not too sure on the exact set count) in his favor.

If you had to say which playstyle mine is closer too, would you guys says its Nairo or Earth?

Mr. ShinyUmbreon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0576-7060-3860
Thanks Mr. ShinyUmbreon Mr. ShinyUmbreon

It feels really good to beat the #1 ranked player in my state. After that day, I'm now like 3-5 (not too sure on the exact set count) in his favor.

If you had to say which playstyle mine is closer too, would you guys says its Nairo or Earth?
Tough to say, Nairo loves to make hard reads and the man lives offstage. Also he hardly plays Pit nowadays, maybe after the electroshock buff He may start to pick up Pittoo again? I'd say you're closer to earth though, since you often like to play patiently and go for strong punishes.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Nairo pulling out his Dark Pit against Tweek's Cloud. He does switch off to ZSS in the bracket reset so he can get a better grasp on the Cloud MU as ZSS which overall cost him the tournament. Still some super solid DP gameplay!

Mr. ShinyUmbreon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0576-7060-3860
Nairo pulling out his Dark Pit against Tweek's Cloud. He does switch off to ZSS in the bracket reset so he can get a better grasp on the Cloud MU as ZSS which overall cost him the tournament. Still some super solid DP gameplay!
Really nice to see Nairo pull out Pittoo again! we haven't seen him play Dark Pit in a while, and I'm glad to see hid Pit back in action
Few things I noticed
Nairo never used D-throw to Upsmash, he always followed up with aerials. Upsmash is a valuable kill move that you definitely don't want to stale. At one point, he f-throwed by accident and compromised with a b-air follow up.
Nairo didn't go offstage all that much, Guardian Orbitars can't gimp Cloud from my experience, though they might be able to if you go offstage. Haven't tested it yet.
He also went for a platform canceled Side-B at one point, maybe that can set up edgegaurds on smashville.
Anything else you guys noticed?

xfateful

Smash Cadet
Really nice to see Nairo pull out Pittoo again! we haven't seen him play Dark Pit in a while, and I'm glad to see hid Pit back in action
Few things I noticed
Nairo never used D-throw to Upsmash, he always followed up with aerials. Upsmash is a valuable kill move that you definitely don't want to stale. At one point, he f-throwed by accident and compromised with a b-air follow up.
Nairo didn't go offstage all that much, Guardian Orbitars can't gimp Cloud from my experience, though they might be able to if you go offstage. Haven't tested it yet.
He also went for a platform canceled Side-B at one point, maybe that can set up edgegaurds on smashville.
Anything else you guys noticed?
Well Nairo also went Dark Pit against Dabuz at Ktar a while ago. He's been using Dark Pit and his other secondaries more at smaller tournaments lately. Here's the video in case you want to see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFnBTZrUOz8

Guardian Orbitars can gimp Cloud. Nairo has done it a lot on his stream so I can see why he attempted to do it in tournament. However, Tweek always sweet-spotted the ledge so using Guardian Orbitars won't really work out since you need you need the Cloud player to not sweet-spot the ledge. It's also prudent to time the startup of the Guardian Orbitars to Cloud's recovery, otherwise, he will be able to free-fall to the ledge safely. This shows Nairo first missing the timing of the Guardian Orbitars so that Cloud was able to grab the ledge. However, right afterwards, Nairo got the right timing and gimped Cloud. http://www.twitch.tv/nairomk/v/30351776?t=01h35m47s

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Few things that may help:

- Work on your reaction times. You tended to just stand around and assess the situation more than you should have, and that gave your opponent a chance to escape. Try to get a feel for your opponent's habits and predict what they're going to do, then react accordingly. You need to think fast and move fast, because a good opponent just needs the tiniest of openings to punish you. Make sure you stay ahead of them before they're too far ahead for you to catch up to.

- Think about every move you use. The first time you grabbed Wario, you stopped and then used b-throw, when d-throw / f-throw combos were possible; you didn't seem to think about what you were doing, you just did it on instinct and it wasn't of benefit to you. It just knocked Wario off-stage with minimal damage, and he then proceeded to return without so much as a scratch on him.

- On that note: practice edgeguarding. There is no reason why you should not have chased Wario after that b-throw, especially with Pit's great off-stage game. You let him come back for free. You did this a few other times too, you got them off-stage and then never followed up, even when the opportunity was right there. Never let your opponent come back for free unless you're baiting something exceptional out of them or you know you can't challenge them.

- Optimise your reactions and punish options. Think about what move is the best to use in any given situation and why, instead of just doing it on autopilot. There's a bit at 0:24 when you could have punished Wario's dash attack with a grab, but you hesitated and used dash attack instead

- Never, never, never, never just stand at the ledge and wait. Cover your opponent's getup options and think about what they will do next, but never stand there and wait for them to hit you first.

- Don't use airs into the ground. Pit's landing lag leaves him wide open.

- You didn't play off-stage well, you didn't try to fend Wario off or recovery safely. Never put yourself in a compromising position if there is a way to avoid it (in this case, there was: you could have used f-air to get him off of you and buy time to recover).

- Don't use side-b unless you're SURE IT WILL CONNECT. This has to be stressed: it's a rookie mistake and you will be punished it it's blocked, dodged or whiffed. Even then, save it for percents when you know it will kill, since it will have very little effect even if it does connect and you're just staling an otherwise good kill option.

- Work on baiting. There's a few times when you just used empty shorthop d-air, and I don't think you really had a plan beyond that. Baiting only works if you know why you're doing it and how to react to the opponent's movements: in this case, you could have baited him into coming for you when the d-air finished, then used another d-air to punish him. Just think about what you're doing before you do it.

- You need to know how to shield effectively and consistently. Try using walking / running shield, as I explained to you before.

- Don't use arrows in neutral. They're too easy to block and punish, and the reward doesn't justify that kind of risk. Use them to pressure your opponent and condition them into reacting in a certain way (zoning them or baiting an airdodge, for example) or to pressure them off-stage, but never just for the sake of having a projectile in neutral. You have other, safer and stronger options that you can use in neutral instead.

- Roll more cleverly: don't just use it to move back, use it to dodge and reposition yourself if spotdodge or shield isn't a good option. Try using pivots instead, since you can use f-tilt or grab out of it (both are very good punish options).

- Don't use rapid jab at high percents. That was probably an input error on your part, but it's worth remembering: at high percents, the opponent is very likely to fall out of its hitboxes.

- Be patient! Don't rush in every time you think there's an opening, it's very easy for your opponent to adapt to that and bait you into making an unsafe move. Play the neutral more, wait for the opening to come to you; bait your opponent instead, force them into your space and then play the game at your own pace. This is a bit trickier with Wario, since he passively builds Waft over time and you don't want to stall the match too much, but it's good advice for most characters. Even a character like Wario is best fought with patience, since he will try to capitalise on openings and get steady damage in before he can get the kill. If your opponent can force you to play on their own terms, you're already at a disadvantage. You need to maintain a cool head and THINK, THINK, THINK, THINK before you rush in for the kill.

Best advice I can give you right now is to work on your fundamentals. There's a lot that needs to be improved here, but you can and will get better if you really try your best: hit the lab and practice movement options and combos, then keep playing better players and remember to ask for feedback!

Last edited:

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
Few things that may help:

- Work on your reaction times. You tended to just stand around and assess the situation more than you should have, and that gave your opponent a chance to escape. Try to get a feel for your opponent's habits and predict what they're going to do, then react accordingly. You need to think fast and move fast, because a good opponent just needs the tiniest of openings to punish you. Make sure you stay ahead of them before they're too far ahead for you to catch up to.

- Think about every move you use. The first time you grabbed Wario, you stopped and then used b-throw, when d-throw / f-throw combos were possible; you didn't seem to think about what you were doing, you just did it on instinct and it wasn't of benefit to you. It just knocked Wario off-stage with minimal damage, and he then proceeded to return without so much as a scratch on him.

- On that note: practice edgeguarding. There is no reason why you should have chased Wario after that b-throw, especially with Pit's great off-stage game. You let him come back for free. You did this a few other times too, you got them off-stage and then never followed up, even when the opportunity was right there. Never let your opponent come back for free unless you're baiting something exceptional out of them or you know you can't challenge them.

- Optimise your reactions and punish options. Think about what move is the best to use in any given situation and why, instead of just doing it on autopilot. There's a bit at 0:24 when you could have punished Wario's dash attack with a grab, but you hesitated and used dash attack instead

- Never, never, never, never just stand at the ledge and wait. Cover your opponent's getup options and think about what they will do next, but never stand there and wait for them to hit you first.

- Don't use airs into the ground. Pit's landing lag leaves him wide open.

- You didn't play off-stage well, you didn't try to fend Wario off or recovery safely. Never put yourself in a compromising position if there is a way to avoid it (in this case, there was: you could have used f-air to get him off of you and buy time to recover).

- Don't use side-b unless you're SURE IT WILL CONNECT. This has to be stressed: it's a rookie mistake and you will be punished it it's blocked, dodged or whiffed. Even then, save it for percents when you know it will kill, since it will have very little effect even if it does connect and you're just staling an otherwise good kill option.

- Work on baiting. There's a few times when you just used empty shorthop d-air, and I don't think you really had a plan beyond that. Baiting only works if you know why you're doing it and how to react to the opponent's movements: in this case, you could have baited him into coming for you when the d-air finished, then used another d-air to punish him. Just think about what you're doing before you do it.

- You need to know how to shield effectively and consistently. Try using walking / running shield, as I explained to you before.

- Don't use arrows in neutral. They're too easy to block and punish, and the reward doesn't justify that kind of risk. Use them to pressure your opponent and condition them into reacting in a certain way (zoning them or baiting an airdodge, for example) or to pressure them off-stage, but never just for the sake of having a projectile in neutral. You have other, safer and stronger options that you can use in neutral instead.

- Roll more cleverly: don't just use it to move back, use it to dodge and reposition yourself if spotdodge or shield isn't a good option. Try using pivots instead, since you can use f-tilt or grab out of it (both are very good punish options).

- Don't use rapid jab at high percents. That was probably an input error on your part, but it's worth remembering: at high percents, the opponent is very likely to fall out of its hitboxes.

- Be patient! Don't rush in every time you think there's an opening, it's very easy for your opponent to adapt to that and bait you into making an unsafe move. Play the neutral more, wait for the opening to come to you; bait your opponent instead, force them into your space and then play the game at your own pace. This is a bit trickier with Wario, since he passively builds Waft over time and you don't want to stall the match too much, but it's good advice for most characters. Even a character like Wario is best fought with patience, since he will try to capitalise on openings and get steady damage in before he can get the kill. If your opponent can force you to play on their own terms, you're already at a disadvantage. You need to maintain a cool head and THINK, THINK, THINK, THINK before you rush in for the kill.

Best advice I can give you right now is to work on your fundamentals. There's a lot that needs to be improved here, but you can and will get better if you really try your best: hit the lab and practice movement options and combos, then keep playing better players and remember to ask for feedback!
thanks, I really appreciate it the advice. Everyone tells my fundamentals are lacking and that I need to work on them heavily. In fact someone suggested that I pick up pit, and drop Rosalina until I can get my fundamentals down with pit.(my old main, I feel like I was getting away with not using fundamentals properly because of how Rosalina works.) I have been using pit for about 2 weeks now and probably spent 30-40 hours just learning about him on smash board, youtube, tournament matches, etc., but that never stopped me from my bad habits. I always just play too far away from my opponent and play too much off of reaction, and playing too slow in general.
Again, I appreciate the advice you gave me about this match.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
thanks, I really appreciate it the advice. Everyone tells my fundamentals are lacking and that I need to work on them heavily. In fact someone suggested that I pick up pit, and drop Rosalina until I can get my fundamentals down with pit.(my old main, I feel like I was getting away with not using fundamentals properly because of how Rosalina works.) I have been using pit for about 2 weeks now and probably spent 30-40 hours just learning about him on smash board, youtube, tournament matches, etc., but that never stopped me from my bad habits. I always just play too far away from my opponent and play too much off of reaction, and playing too slow in general.
Again, I appreciate the advice you gave me about this match.
Bro

http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

Aife

Smash Apprentice
After going through hoops to get something uploaded, I finally managed it. I had to reduce the match to one stock, but it was worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFujESirk80

I'd really like to know if theres anything you could tell me to do better. qwq
Err, except teching, because I already know that <w> (Unless you could tell me a way to attach teching to my grab button, then I'd love you forever.)

Last edited:

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
After going through hoops to get something uploaded, I finally managed it. I had to reduce the match to one stock, but it was worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFujESirk80

I'd really like to know if theres anything you could tell me to do better. qwq
Err, except teching, because I already know that <w> (Unless you could tell me a way to attach teching to my grab button, then I'd love you forever.)
I may not be the greatest player, but I saw quite a few things that would be helpful.

First off, you used no grabs. The Pit twins are all about grabs. I saw you whiff one, but try to use them more. Down throw is an incredible combo starter. D-throw into U-air, D-throw into running U-smash, D-throw into turn around B-air, etc. Down throw is your best friend as Pit/Dark pit. F-throw is also a good stock closer, try to use it when your opponent's around 140-ish% near the ledge. It also gets them offstage, which the Pits love.

Second, you kinda pulled the "dodging as your only way of moving" thing. That is a bad habit that I still struggle with to this day, so I understand. However, it is certainly a thing you may want to do something about.

Third, this kinda ties into the last one. The way you back up then attack. Try to play differently depending on not only matchups, but opponents. This Link was using an aggressive projectile game, so your run and gun style wasn't awful. However, you certainly could've punished a lot of times the Link threw a bomb or boomerang just for the heck of it. Don't be afraid to get in his face. Grabs would certainly have helped.

Once again, I'm not amazing at the game, but I've been playing Pit/Pittoo since the 3DS days and I've learned a lot and still have more to learn. The amazing thing about Pit/Pittoo is how well-rounded their moveset is. For this reason, they can really adapt to most anything: playstyles, match ups, etc. It seems you've got most of the fundamentals down, just work on adapting your play to the other person. Get a feel for them as the match starts, see what they go for a lot and punish accordingly. Try not to throw out random moves for the sake of throwing them out, play as though everything you do to has a reason. All in all, you're not terrible, just work on reading your opponent and how you punish. Hope I helped and wasn't too harsh.

Aife

Smash Apprentice
I may not be the greatest player, but I saw quite a few things that would be helpful.

First off, you used no grabs. The Pit twins are all about grabs. I saw you whiff one, but try to use them more. Down throw is an incredible combo starter. D-throw into U-air, D-throw into running U-smash, D-throw into turn around B-air, etc. Down throw is your best friend as Pit/Dark pit. F-throw is also a good stock closer, try to use it when your opponent's around 140-ish% near the ledge. It also gets them offstage, which the Pits love.
Aha, I should have expected this, you're right, in-fact i already knew this, what you saw was a reverse-habit. (or at least that's what I'd call it.) As in, I specifically restricted my use of grabs because I yolo grabbed to much and became predictable. I tried to experiment with other things and other possible moves to get in instead of that...
however I started neglecting the grab because of this, and you're right, its a huge issue.
(this also applied to the use of the electro-shock arm. to many yolo uses, trying to cut back on it...only to barely use it at all.)

Second, you kinda pulled the "dodging as your only way of moving" thing. That is a bad habit that I still struggle with to this day, so I understand. However, it is certainly a thing you may want to do something about.
sometimes this is an input mistake, as in I tried to dash away to quickly after dropping my shield and I end up rolling that way. But most of the time, yes, bad rolling. BAAADDD ROLLLINNNGG

stop it aife qwq

Third, this kinda ties into the last one. The way you back up then attack. Try to play differently depending on not only matchups, but opponents. This Link was using an aggressive projectile game, so your run and gun style wasn't awful. However, you certainly could've punished a lot of times the Link threw a bomb or boomerang just for the heck of it. Don't be afraid to get in his face. Grabs would certainly have helped.
I agree with you, although sometimes its really hard for me to get in on the ground due to all that projectile nonsense. My power shielding is bad and I need to get better at it, but otherwise sometimes I feel overwhelmed.
Dealing with projectiles that out clock my own is rly hard for me because reseting to neutral is a thing i like to do (may possibly be coming from elsword and how i play CN in there, due to limited oki options.), but I'll try to get out of my comfort zone. I need to be more aggressive (not dumb aggressive.) and punishing.

Once again, I'm not amazing at the game, but I've been playing Pit/Pittoo since the 3DS days and I've learned a lot and still have more to learn. The amazing thing about Pit/Pittoo is how well-rounded their moveset is. For this reason, they can really adapt to most anything: playstyles, match ups, etc. It seems you've got most of the fundamentals down, just work on adapting your play to the other person. Get a feel for them as the match starts, see what they go for a lot and punish accordingly. Try not to throw out random moves for the sake of throwing them out, play as though everything you do to has a reason. All in all, you're not terrible, just work on reading your opponent and how you punish. Hope I helped and wasn't too harsh.
Adapting is hard for me, not because it's impossible but because I sometimes have a hard to reacting to opponent movements in an effective way. My knowledge of the game limited so guessing common attack patterns is hard due to lack of ingrained knowledge, its sometimes hard for me to tell what counters what move just simply because i don't know the game well enough.
And other times its because i end up on auto pilot :<
but yeah I need to addapt better.

And no no, thank you! I appreciate both your attempts at criticism and at shared experience normalization, it made me feel a lot better and even more energized to get better. :C

NoLoudNoise

Smash Rookie
NNID
NoLoudNoise
I'm really new to smash and have been drawn to Pit/DPit I tend to do decent in for glory and was just wondering if you guys could critique some of my matches

I feel like my biggest problems are chasing the side B too much and not shielding consistently which I'm trying to work on. One of what I felt were my best/most interesting matches is too long to be posted on youtube straight from the vault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfmtez92yio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhRa0ZLRdWc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab_HEXPIVFY

User name: NoLoudNoise
In-Game name: Greg
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: NoLoudNoise
Country of Residence: USA
Palette Colour: Purple

Last edited:

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
I'm really new to smash and have been drawn to Pit/DPit I tend to do decent in for glory and was just wondering if you guys could critique some of my matches

I feel like my biggest problems are chasing the side B too much and not shielding consistently which I'm trying to work on. One of what I felt were my best/most interesting matches is too long to be posted on youtube straight from the vault.

K I feel like you could work on a couple things~

- You were rolling alot.
You were kinda roll spamy. Gotta admit it. Try running and walking a bit more.

- Fundementals.
They were kinda lacking. Such as landing options, punishes, combos and strings, holding shield, using a variety of moves, approaching, DI, etc.

- Try going for the grab a bit more
The angels have a superb grab game, especially at low percents.

-You didn't really use that much of Dark Pit's moveset than you should've
I feel like you were sorta limiting yourself to a couple moves in his disposal. You didn't really go for any aerials so try working in that a bit more

- Juggling
In that match with Falco I felt like you could've juggled him a bit with uair rather than just sit there and usmash.

- Arrows
They're not really the hottest thing Dark Pit has, so try approaching with something else like a short hop fair/nair.

- You were standing around alot
Standing around can leave you open to attacks and you're reaction will be a bit worse than moving around. Standing can be good for reading tech rolls though.

- Edge guarding
Definitely one of Dark Pit's thing is his multiple jumps. And he can use those to carry the opponent offstage. It's definitely a thing every Pit needs to learn and do. Heck, I'm not even good at it myself lol.

Hope this helped~! :happysheep:

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731

I agree with Koiba, work on a few things. You're not terrible, but there are a lot of things that you could've done. I see that you're new, not bad for a new player. My recommendation is to look up some simple tech you can do to improve your game. Punishing, teching, rolling, edge-guarding, etc. Improve these things slowly. Take your time and try not to get over-whelmed. All in all, I see a lot of potential, just try to work on those things and steadily improve your game.

DirtyDa

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW4uzguzj8I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4GRBrXE19c
Any thoughts on my play style?Hopefully I'll be able to get more videos soon. I know I have a lot of work to do so any and all critique would be great. I probably should have uploaded some matches where I lost but...oh well ;P

User name: DirtyDa (It's supposed to be DirtyDan but I forgot the N)
In-Game name: DirtyDan
3DS Friend Code:
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID:NintenDan2125
Palette Colour: (The Color DP You Mostly use) White

AC NuBurs

Defence Bowser
NNID
ACNuBurs

Heres a really dumb thing you can do against cloud, thanks to his lack of ledge snapping. He can probably just recovery lower to avoid it but I found it funny.

Last edited:

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
DirtyDa DirtyDa

It seems like you understand the basics of playing Dark Pit. One thing I notice is you are pressing buttons. Your not really putting forth much thought into why you are using the moves. For example, your throwing out randy dairs that caused you to take hits from R.O.B.'s Fsmash for free. There were times that you got hasty with killing your opponent. Every time you were spamming the Side B, your opponent was able to punish it. Only use the Side B when your opponent is in kill percentage (80% or higher), and if you can mind game them by running past them and hit them with your Side B. Work on taking your time and play more slowly.

That was cute at the end with the Z-drop gyro to side B.

As of now, I won't tell you everything that you need to work on. Right now, just take it one step at a time and we'll talk.

Last edited:

DirtyDa

Smash Rookie
DirtyDa DirtyDa

It seems like you understand the basics of playing Dark Pit. One thing I notice is you are pressing buttons. Your not really putting forth much thought into why you are using the moves. For example, your throwing out randy dairs that caused you to take hits from R.O.B.'s Fsmash for free. There were times that you got hasty with killing your opponent. Every time you were spamming the Side B, your opponent was able to punish it. Only use the Side B when your opponent is in kill percentage (80% or higher), and if you can mind game them by running past them and hit them with your Side B. Work on taking your time and play more slowly.

That was cute at the end with the Z-drop gyro to side B.

As of now, I won't tell you everything that you need to work on. Right now, just take it one step at a time and we'll talk.
Thanks for the response, and you're right, I definitley do tend to panic and just kinda hit buttons and side b. I need to start thinking a little more.
I have some more matches up on that channel to if you ever wanna check em out.

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
Can someone check out this tourney vid of me? I've been trying to get better at my Pit game, but am unsure in which direction I should head.

https://secure.twitch.tv/gcuesports/v/54710770?t=01h35m22s
I would just like to give my two cents. Pit can indeed kill, especially off-stage. Also F-throw is an amazing kill option. Pit's off-stage play is incredible, so the opponent will often try to come back to ledge. F-throw from ledge can kill ~140%, I noticed so many moments where that would've killed in your matches. Ike has predictable recovery, so exploiting that is your biggest strength in that MU.

As for the matches, you definitely know Pit. Pit can be played many different ways, so I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong when I say this. Don't be afraid to go in. I notice that you play a more defensive play. Again, nothing wrong with that at all, it's just that some moments could've been more in your favor if you approached more aggressively. That's honestly the only thing I noticed. As I said, you definitely know how to play Pit. Just don't be afraid to attack.

Last edited:

SuperLevel

Smash Rookie
I would just like to give my two cents. Pit can indeed kill, especially off-stage. Also F-throw is an amazing kill option. Pit's off-stage play is incredible, so the opponent will often try to come back to ledge. F-throw from ledge can kill ~140%, I noticed so many moments where that would've killed in your matches. Ike has predictable recovery, so exploiting that is your biggest strength in that MU.

As for the matches, you definitely know Pit. Pit can be played many different ways, so I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong when I say this. Don't be afraid to go in. I notice that you play a more defensive play. Again, nothing wrong with that at all, it's just that some moments could've been more in your favor if you approached more aggressively. That's honestly the only thing I noticed. As I said, you definitely know how to play Pit. Just don't be afraid to attack.
Good points. I feel like he has a lack of kill set ups, but you are right :). That doesn't mean he can't kill.

And thank you a lot for giving me that advice. I am pretty defensive naturally. I have been trying to figure out how to be ore aggressive with Pit, but am just unsure right now. I feel like I need to be able predict my opponent in order to be aggressive (since can't really cover missed forward airs, neutral airs, etc). Maybe I am wrong though.

But! You just reassured me that I need to figure out how to be more aggressive :). Thanks again!

NuNero1

Smash Cadet
NNID
KSHEFF722
User name: NuNero1
In-Game name: DReKStar
3DS Friend Code: None (Don't have a 3ds)
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: KSHEFF722
Country of Residence: United States
Palette Colors (Pittoo): 1,3,4,5, and 7
One Sentence: I am a casual smash player of somewhat decent skill and a proud Dark Pit main who is always willing to up his game, open to any advice.

Last edited:

NuNero1

Smash Cadet
NNID
KSHEFF722
Does anyone have good advice for someone who struggles against Sheik, ZSS, Bayonetta and Falco? I faced a Shiek the other day on for glory and got totally owned , it was a really bad display. I couldn't get a grab or a good combo in. Being overly aggressive didn't work, any other strategies? And what about Peach, Rosalina and Luma, Mewtwo? Any advice I will take to heart, thanks!

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Does anyone have good advice for someone who struggles against Sheik, ZSS, Bayonetta and Falco? I faced a Shiek the other day on for glory and got totally owned , it was a really bad display. I couldn't get a grab or a good combo in. Being overly aggressive didn't work, any other strategies? And what about Peach, Rosalina and Luma, Mewtwo? Any advice I will take to heart, thanks!
First step is to update your wii u ;P

Gonna need more detail than that though, try to break it down, what was the shiek doing that stopped you from doing anything? You were probably choosing the wrong options to counter whatever options she was using. Was she spamming needles? Was she rushing you down?

NuNero1

Smash Cadet
NNID
KSHEFF722
First step is to update your wii u ;P

Gonna need more detail than that though, try to break it down, what was the shiek doing that stopped you from doing anything? You were probably choosing the wrong options to counter whatever options she was using. Was she spamming needles? Was she rushing you down?
It is still fresh in my mind, I remember it like yesterday.That Sheik rushed me down, threw needles like clockwork, which I found myself caught with. And when I got tossed in the air, I barely touched the ground as she was juggling me like a pinball. Probably the quickest display of stock taking I've ever witnessed or experienced. I was completely overmatched, Side B was useless ( I don't spam, if I see an opening or get a good read I take it). But this sheik saw everything coming, I think I was playing a Pro. Long story short, it was ugly and I wasn't even close in taking a stock. And If it also helps, I usually get most of my damage using a combination of pummels and that awesome grab game that both the Pits have, I also use the tilts, jabs, Smash Attacks and Dark Pit's arrows to bait and damage from afar. Sorry for the long explanation, once I upload some videos you'll have a better understanding. But until then, this is all I got.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
It is still fresh in my mind, I remember it like yesterday.That Sheik rushed me down, threw needles like clockwork, which I found myself caught with. And when I got tossed in the air, I barely touched the ground as she was juggling me like a pinball. Probably the quickest display of stock taking I've ever witnessed or experienced. I was completely overmatched, Side B was useless ( I don't spam, if I see an opening or get a good read I take it). But this sheik saw everything coming, I think I was playing a Pro. Long story short, it was ugly and I wasn't even close in taking a stock. And If it also helps, I usually get most of my damage using a combination of pummels and that awesome grab game that both the Pits have, I also use the tilts, jabs, Smash Attacks and Dark Pit's arrows to bait and damage from afar. Sorry for the long explanation, once I upload some videos you'll have a better understanding. But until then, this is all I got.
Tbh i think Pit would be better for you in that scenario. The way you put it makes it sound like she was overwhelming you with pressure while at the same time stopping your approaches. If you can play the microspacing game; rush her down whilst using your disjoints to beat hers but that's normally easier said than done pretty much pressure her so that she doesn't have the time to pressure you, if you're always on the defensive I feel shiek would run circles around you, careful when being overly aggressive though since if you're not spacing right you lose your advantage. Dark Pit's arrows are almost useless in neutral against a good player. With Pit however you can utilize full hop arrows to not only outcamp her on omega stages but force her to approach, make her play the match on your terms.
Yeah a video would be great! I wouldn't mind reviewing it for you, me purely theorycrafting probably isn't going to help much especislly if I'm theorycrafting off purely imagining how the match played out lol. Also don't worry your explanation wasn't that long :)

NuNero1

Smash Cadet
NNID
KSHEFF722
Tbh i think Pit would be better for you in that scenario. The way you put it makes it sound like she was overwhelming you with pressure while at the same time stopping your approaches. If you can play the microspacing game; rush her down whilst using your disjoints to beat hers but that's normally easier said than done pretty much pressure her so that she doesn't have the time to pressure you, if you're always on the defensive I feel shiek would run circles around you, careful when being overly aggressive though since if you're not spacing right you lose your advantage. Dark Pit's arrows are almost useless in neutral against a good player. With Pit however you can utilize full hop arrows to not only outcamp her on omega stages but force her to approach, make her play the match on your terms.
Yeah a video would be great! I wouldn't mind reviewing it for you, me purely theorycrafting probably isn't going to help much especislly if I'm theorycrafting off purely imagining how the match played out lol. Also don't worry your explanation wasn't that long :)
Don't worry, I have a better understanding now and I'll be more prepared the next time I face a nightmarish Shiek again. THANK YOU! Once I figure it out, videos will be uploaded soon, again thank you very much.

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
Good points. I feel like he has a lack of kill set ups, but you are right :). That doesn't mean he can't kill.

And thank you a lot for giving me that advice. I am pretty defensive naturally. I have been trying to figure out how to be ore aggressive with Pit, but am just unsure right now. I feel like I need to be able predict my opponent in order to be aggressive (since can't really cover missed forward airs, neutral airs, etc). Maybe I am wrong though.

But! You just reassured me that I need to figure out how to be more aggressive :). Thanks again!
Glad I could help! I sometimes feel kinda bad when I give advice. I think, "Is this too harsh? Should I reword that? How can I say these things to people when I myself am not good at doing them?" Still, it's relieving to know that I can be helpful at times. Wish you the best in the future!

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
NuNero1 NuNero1
First let me just say that kill on marth with the Electroshock was noice xD

Now for the critique. I'm gonna be harsh so don't take it to heart, if you feel I've said anything wrong feel free to correct me.
The place where you lack the most is generally in fundamental areas and general game and character understanding. Gonna nitpick here.
-You use arrows sometimes at the right time and sometimes at the wrong time. Don't use arrows too much in neutral, only use them if your opponent is far away or offstage.
-You roll quite a bit, even when it is not necessary, try to limit your rolling only to when you need to (i.e only roll if you need to evade an attack not if your opponent comes close to you).
-Put a little more thought into what moves you are using, don't just throw them out but think, why should I throw out this move, is it safe to throw out? What can I expect to gain from using this move. You threw out alot of unsafe attacks with little reward and sometimes you committed to options that were either unsafe or left better options to be desired.
-Also try to work on some basic pit combos and followups, watch videos of other Pits.

I'll go into more detail but only for the Link video because doing all three would take too long. Im also going to only do half the Link video because that alone would take ages since im breaking down every move you make.
-At the start of the match you rolled backwards and shot an arrow, why? You could have ran backwards and shot a turnaround arrow making it come out faster.
-You went for a dair next, that was a good option to beat out your opponents Dair but unfortunately you whiffed, practice the spacing on your moves
-Good choice jumping out of there instead of airdodging or attacking because Link had a frame advantage (he could have attacked you before you attacked him or punished your airdodge).
-Good choice going for a grab and trying to cover his crossover with ftilt even though you whiffed but then again, landing moves easily comes with practice.
-Again, why did you roll away and shoot an arrow? Wouldn't it have been better to punish him for whiffing his usmash?
-Good dash attack and good fair followup.
-Next stock, don't spot dodge bombs because Link can punish you here is an example of a situation where it would be good to roll or better yet jump away.
-We are up to 0:24, why did you Fsmahs him? It would have been better to grab him because that would lead to more damage and cover his shield option and it is safer.
-Shooting an arrow after fsmash will never connect, you could try chasing him and reading his getup option for another punish.
-Good choice spotdodging the thrown bomb, shielding will make it bounce off your shield and still be a threat, whilst rolling you might still get hit by the bomb or link. Link couldn't punish your spotdodge due to being too far away.
-Good grab punish but bthrow was a bad option especially with an arrow followup. You gave him stage control again andgot the least damage off that grab. Should have went for dthrow fair/uair/bair/dair putting him offstage in a dangerous position, above you for juggles as well as doing the most damage off that grab.
-Now this part, why did you randomly jab when link was far away? Why did you jump to approach him then land with a fair (which would not have hit, does the least damage and could have gotten you punished instead). Why did you go for ftilt afterwards, were there better options? The first roll made sense, because Link was going to fsmash you, but why the second roll when you were already out of danger? and why the grab afterwards, Link was nowhere near you.

Anyways see where I am going with this? You have to put more thought behind your moves,You definitely don't have to break down the game like this during every match but try to think, after the match, what you could have done and use it in your next match. Over time you will learn what is the best option for every scenario and eventually you will be able to choose a good option on the fly without giving it much thought.

Quick question how long have you been playing smash 4? or how long have you been playing Pit? Alot of the issues in your gameplay can easily be fixed with more practice and experience.

Top Bottom