• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anime Review: Black Cat

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1269]Anime Review: Black Cat[/drupal]

If anime is art, then Black Cat is a Mona Lisa. Black Cat tells the story of a youth named Train Hartnett, number XIII of an elite group called the Numbers in the Chronos organization. Train is a silent assassin who feels no remorse, until he meets a girl named Saiya. Through becoming friends with her, he learns the value of human life and decides to leave Chronos. However, his choice to leave causes quite a stir in the organization...

The series has a really hard to describe style to it. But I'll try my best not to butcher it. The series makes use of some unique camera angles and some dramatic and somewhat eerie piano music. It also jumps around a lot, showing you flash backs and flash forwards which all make sense by the end of the episode (usually). Wow, it's really hard to describe the style of this series. I don't know what you would call it. Neo-Modern?

The series has a really strong cast of characters. Sven, another main character is one of the most likable characters I've ever seen in an anime. Eve, a little girl with some insane power, while stone-faced ends up being rather good and a very well developed character. And Train is both a great character before and after he leaves Chronos. And the main villain is one of the best I've seen in anything in a long time. He's everything I think of villain should be: rather than just really evil, he's just freaking insane. The cast is also backed up by some great voice acting (I watched the dub). Funimation did a really good job on this one, the voice actors always sound into it and are really close to the original in voice.

I would also like to point out that this anime has some genuinely funny moments. It even got a few laughs out of me an I have to most un-Japanese sense of humor that you've ever seen in a single person. Most jokes in anime I just kind of go "meh, whatever" but here they've got some really funny moments.

Now for some bad. I really didn't like how Train went from silent baddass to typical anime hero in a matter of one episode. And while the style might be eye catching and original, it can also make the plot somewhat hard to follow. And I'm not the biggest Otaku but I'm sure that "teen is forced to become an assassin" isn't the most original plot in an anime.

If Black Cat had sucked, I probably could have made some bad joke about bad luck. But no, Black Cat is freaking awesome. The battles are epic, the characters extremely well done and the plot is great. And while it might be predictable at parts (what anime isn't? Other than Death Note) it still sucks you in and never stops being awesome.

Sonic Phantom

Smash Cadet
I read the manga first before seeing the anime. Let me tell you that the anime was a let down after reading the manga which is just ten times better. I believe that the anime rushes the plot too much. There is just not enough time in 24 episodes to fit all the significant events into the final product. Read the manga here: http://www.onemanga.com/Black_Cat/

Omis

my friends were skinny
I rented the anime after having followed the manga devotedly. The anime doesnt even come close to the level of entertainment supplied by the manga.

Top Bottom