• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anime, anyone?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
@CRASHiC - ...really? seriously? <_< i wanted to gag myself to death with a used jock strap when i watched Akira. i thought that movie sucked balls...
Why?
Was it the fact that unlike every other sci-fi anima, this one was based on sound and current theory? (string theory)
Did you puke when you realized that nearly every modern anima from Dragon Ball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho to Eureka 7 and Blood + borrow visual ideas from the movie?
Was it the professional soundtrack, employing an internationally known music group, combining Gregorian chant with modern electronically elements?
Did the sheer quality of the animation, which rivals many of today's computer 2D animation, providing more detail and fluid animations than Bleach and Naruto combined?
Was it the real, non romanticized portrayal of human intentions that the movie explored?

In terms of artistic value and profesionalism, Akira rains on top of the anima world, sitting so high that only a few animas even come close to reaching its level of professionalism.

Evangelion
Gunslinger Girl
Cowboy Bebob
FLCL
Paparika
the collective works of Hayao Miyazaki

These are the essential animas, Gunslinger Girl, FLCL, and Paparika being the modern classics. Everything else is pretty much pop fascinations.

Purple

Hi guys!
Hajime no Ippo-

Bryan Hawk vs Takamura is the absolute best match ever.

The series is practically over after that match is over.

Agree?

Laijin

Smash Hero
The series? No.
Because believe or not, the series gets even better after that. Just wait till Mashiba vs Sawamura, Kamogawa vs Anderson, Ippo vs Scratch J, etc etc.
Soo many good matches coming up.

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
The series? No.
Because believe or not, the series gets even better after that. Just wait till Mashiba vs Sawamura, Kamogawa vs Anderson, Ippo vs Scratch J, etc etc.
Soo many good matches coming up.
They better do old Kamogawa arc. I thought it was probably one of the best arcs in the series. Worst was magician guy that threw his matches. Gendo I think.

Laijin

Smash Hero
They better do old Kamogawa arc. I thought it was probably one of the best arcs in the series. Worst was magician guy that threw his matches. Gendo I think.
Nah. Gedo was alright. Its all opinions really, as I personally people who hated the World War II arc. Although when you take in comparison to all the other matches Gedo kinda was not as great.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
a large load of bull**** in a sad attempt to make yourself sound cultured
lol, i'm so sorry, dood. i didn't know that you and the Akira creator were romantically involved. forgive me for offending your lover's masterpiece. anyway, simply put, Akira was not enjoyable to watch, neither in terms of characters or plot. that movie was a chore for me to get through.

moving on from that piece of..."art", Evangelion also made me want to blow chunks. That series had one of the most unenjoyable casts ever constructed. The plot started decent, but then got ULTRA idiotic at the end. the movie made it worse. in short, Evangelion gargles my balls.

i have never seen Gunslinger Girl, but i actually wanted to check that one out.

Cowboy Bebop suffered from extremely boring and static characters. The only character that was any good in that series was Jett(I think that was his name. The black pilot guy). In the TV series, NO ONE developed except Faye, and she had a garbage-tier backstory.

I haven't seen much of FLCL, so i can't make a very detailed opinion. The small part of it i did see, i thought was overly silly and non-coherent.

never seen or heard anything about Paparika.

Hayao Miyazaki makes some good stuff. No arguments there.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Wow. I can legitimately agree with Marty on something finally.
Akira sucks ****.

Cowboy Bebop was only cool because I saw it when I was like 12 and I was "OH COOL GUNS AND ****". But now that I think about it..it kinda was'nt all that amazing.

Marin.

Smash Journeyman
moving on from that piece of..."art", Evangelion also made me want to blow chunks. That series had one of the most unenjoyable casts ever constructed. The plot started decent, but then got ULTRA idiotic at the end. the movie made it worse. inshort, Evangelion gargles my balls.
*Dies* Evangelion is psychological masterpiece in my eyes and its animation is beautiful in every aspect.
The movie when Asuka fought her final battle was breathtaking but everyone has their own views.
Definitely high-tier in my eyes.
*New movies are coming too <3

i have never seen Gunslinger Girl, but i actually wanted to check that one out.

Cowboy Bebop suffered from extremely boring and static characters. The only character that was any good in that series was Jett(I think that was his name. The black pilot guy). In the TV series, NO ONE developed except Faye, and she had a garbage-tier backstory.

I haven't seen much of FLCL, so i can't make a very detailed opinion. The small part of it i did see, i thought was overly silly and non-coherent.

i wanna see Gunslinger Girl, ive read and liked the manga

FLCL is amazing. Both visual and entertaining (<3) but you are right it is non-coherent,
and the more you try to make sense of the less sense it makes(imo).
So you just have to go with the flow on that one and just enjoy the pleasures it gives you :)

Really want to see Paparika, soooooo bad....

Akira scared the s*** out of me when i was a kid and i have never looked back since

And you can never go wrong with Miyazaki. EVER.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
FLCL does make sense. Its all sex metaphors and metaphors about going through the awkward "becoming a man" period of your life.

"If I don't do it, I'll overflow."
"Do you think he's gonna get some?"

Zoro

Smash Champion
Akira is doodoo
Evangelion is doodoo

Cowboy Bebop is doodoo
FLCL is overrated

I agree with you good sir
though i never seen eva
but i really dont like FLCL or CB

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
FLCL does make sense. Its all sex metaphors and metaphors about going through the awkward "becoming a man" period of your life.

"If I don't do it, I'll overflow."
"Do you think he's gonna get some?"
lol pretty much nailed it, best short description I've ever read.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Alright so
This weekend I'm going to a tournament, and they always call out the team names instead of the player names.
So I'm naming my team "The Dead Puppy from Elfen Lied".
Depressed/Enraged/Confused opponents always play worse.

Zoro

Smash Champion
Zoro your cool.
Your one of the few people realize how ****ing awesome Eyeshield 21 is.
So how do you feel about that America arc after the christmas bowl?

I feel like its rushed
like they are trying to finish it too fast
The other arcs i feel are more thought out
this is just like
get all the good players make up unecessary plays while america somehow gets weaker over the duration of the game.....like wtf how is the best team in the world this easy.
Also I like the plain old deimon better than team japan. Too many aces in this team.

Teikoku match was crazier and looked much harder like deimon was getting annihilated in the beginning
. I know that its supposed to b e easier because they have all the best players but cmon.....this is america.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...Now, I ask you all,Should I watch Akira or Ghost In The Shell first?
BTW, is Akira a movie or a series?

Also...recommend me some anime(Preferably something deathnote/naruto-like.)

Also, anyone else in here watch Escaflowne?
I started watching it yesterday.

"MYYY FAAAAAACEEEEEE!!!!"

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Kaiji is beast. It's kinda death note like, except it doesn't deal with anything supernatural, and you can actually relate to the main character (he's smart, but not a super genius with delusions of grandeur).

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
Kaiji is beast. It's kinda death note like, except it doesn't deal with anything supernatural, and you can actually relate to the main character (he's smart, but not a super genius with delusions of grandeur).
I checked out Kaiji after reading your post and i've already seen 4 episodes, the Anime is beast, I couldnt find the Manga online anywhere but the anime is great so far. Thanks for the tip.

Laijin

Smash Hero

I feel like its rushed
like they are trying to finish it too fast
The other arcs i feel are more thought out
this is just like
get all the good players make up unecessary plays while america somehow gets weaker over the duration of the game.....like wtf how is the best team in the world this easy.
Also I like the plain old deimon better than team japan. Too many aces in this team.

Teikoku match was crazier and looked much harder like deimon was getting annihilated in the beginning
. I know that its supposed to b e easier because they have all the best players but cmon.....this is america.
The new arc is complete trash. Might as well not even exist. :|
The christmas bowl is where it should've ended. That Teikoku match was amazing.

On another note. I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THE NEW IPPO EPISODE.
Their giving Battle of the Hawk as much justice as I wanted and I hope it keeps up this pace of amazingness.

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger is only up to episode 21, how could you know what happens after the fight with Bryan Hawk?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oh, more Anime fans than I thought.

I too am a fan of what we call Anime, or japanese animation. I read the mangaz as well.

I've seen/read plenty an Animu/Mango, too much to list it. But my knowledge covers the basics and the broad.

epic lulz? No. There is none. I would like to share the love, is all.

Laijin

Smash Hero
The Manga is serveral years ahead already, up to chapter 853. The Bryan Hawk fight is chapter 350+
Yea. Ippo is like 25 now in the manga and still has not gotten his first kiss from Kumi(It almost happened)
Of course we all know Ippo is gay for Miyata.

Ah... **** I may have to end up reading that manga. Ippo is so good.
http://ignition-one.confusticated.com/
Even has the Sendo-Gaiden in there(its Sendo's back story. Pretty badass).
Sometimes they lag behind, so for the latest raws and everything Ippo related check here:
http://westbound.proboards.com/index.cgi

Purple

Hi guys!
Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger is only up to episode 21, how could you know what happens after the fight with Bryan Hawk?
honestly, after watching mere segments of the bryan hawk series. i'm surprised you haven't had enough anxiety to finish that **** off yourself with the manga.

I never had a reason to do so until i saw that match.

i'm currently watching the magician match now.

Top Bottom