• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

And Then They Came Home: Why I Love Character Reveals and Why You Probably Do Too

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, since everyone seem to enjoy telling their great memories of nostalgia in ssb, I'm going to tell you mine but this one doesn't really relate to character but how the way I saw video games completely changed by playing only ONE of them.

If anyone asked me right there what would be my best game of all time and that I can answer for any reason, It just HAS to be ssbm. Why exactly? is it because it had a lot of content? is it because it had a good roster? Is it because of the adventure mode or the events? Is it because of the multiplayer? Well, I can tell you that except the multiplayer part, it's true that I liked the game and those were valid reasons. HOWEVER, it is not why it became the most memorable game I've ever played, the best experience I had, the one game that made me love video games and basically, the best and most unforgettable one I could even possibly play. It goes even deeper than this and today, it would just be impossible for me to get this experience again because of the circumstance that happened when I first played it.

First, let me describe how this game even reached me. My first experience with games was on the Nintendo 64 with the game Donkey Kong 64. Since I was very young and that my first language have been French, I just couldn't understand any form of text or voice since the game (and most of the other I player after) was in English. I'm going to admit that I did have fun but I didn't understand the deep meaning of games and today, I would want to get this game again but it's expensive so it can wait. What is important is that I did know the basis of a game without knowing the deep meaning of them. In other words, I liked it but I didn't know why.

And this is when I got a Gamecube and the first game I owned was ssbm. It's at this moment that my love for video games began and I've never EVER tough that it would change my life so much. When I played this, I got a similar experience than Donkey Kong 64 but pushed a lot more. It became to a point where I was looking forward to the end of my class just to play ssbm and his awesome adventure mode. It even became to be memorable as I found myself remembering the EXACT sound of the announcer and menu sound effects. I had to use a French guide to unlock every characters which I had to use the VS match method because the others was too hard. I still found surprising how I figured out that it would be faster to do this with super sudden death match. But after this, the frustration came in. I wanted so much to know what the heck everything in the game came from. I do remember having absolutely no idea on who in the world Ganondorf was because I basically knew almost nothing about Nintendo and games in general. When it became frustration is the fact that I knew it was explained in the game but in English which I couldn't understand. And seeing how there's 300 descriptions of trophies, I couldn't know a ton of informations that seemed interesting from the image and music. Oh the image and music became engraved in my head because of this. Since this time, the music menu 1 from ssbm became to be THE music that I will never forget because of how many times I heard it and it reminds me of this period. I remember how I was very happy every time I listened to the fore emblem music. It was basically me trying to figure out things I couldn't (heck I watched the 15 minutes special movies like hundreds of times). I was having the best fun I had but I still didn't know how and I couldn't even review this game properly.

However, after years of playing games on the gamecube and the biggest fun I had, I was told that the system was "outdated" and thus, I should sell it. You have to remember that I was quite young and so naive which made me believe that it was true. And this is when I did a really REALLY terrible mistake; so terrible that I'm living again its consequences today.

I sold my Gamecube with all games I had (including ssbm).

I remember that I was very sad as soon as I did it but I eventually forgot about it and accepted it without any frustration. Since I did that, I simply stopped playing video games at all; my main past time was watching cartoons on TV.

But my memory of ssbm was still there and it was enough to have a certain event that occurred after I got some English knowledge to finally unfold all these memories. I remember precisely what happened that made my nostalgia at an unimaginable level.

Since I got some base in English, I started to watch youtube in English since I figured that it had more content. And then, I found this series: "History behind Super Smash Brothers Melee". For everyone who played melee or brawl, please you need to watch these videos and you will understand how watching those made me realize what was the true pupose of making ssbm. This time, I could understand most of the text and... and... oh I can't describe how amazed I was. Those videos LITERALLY blew my mind. Why? Because it shows how EVERYTHING made in this game came from another game that was well tough. In fact, I realized how detailed ssbm was and also when I realized for instance that G&W is very original since it comes from a very old portable generation translated into smash. This is when I heard who was Ganondorf and the zelda franchise in general and other key Nintendo franchise. It was an amazing experience to discover what I wanted so much to know for YEARS and the truth was right in front of me. Of course, my nostalgia was as its biggest level I've had and I finally decided to fix my big mistake.

I bough a Gamecube with ssbm on ebay.

When I received it, let me tell you: my life and my way of seeing video game was now about to change for good this time. Do you remember the moment you felt the most nostalgic and happy in your life? Mine was when I received it again. To put this in perspective, imagine having fun for years on only one game and compress all this fun in a single week (with more experience, I did the challenge with less time since I was ok at English). I can tell you that having my nostalgia this high would be impossible. You also have to remember that at this point, I wasn't discovering ssbm, I was discovering the whole Nintendo company and why games like ssbm DOES NOT GET OLD. In fact, they have been so worked, so detailed, so well tough that they do not weaken trough time; they are masterpieces and since ssbm was a tribute to them, ssbm is the masterpiece of the masterpieces.

This is when I began to buy gc games only to end up with vc games and every time I finished one, my way of seeing games began to be more and more accurate only to love them so much. My journey ended up to think that video games isn't just a past time; it's an art.

I know I support strongly Paper Mario which is due to the fact that I loved TTYD so much but TTYD is my SECOND favourite game of all time because if I haven't played ssbm, I wouldn't have heard of TTYD and the Paper Mario thread would be dead more often (I'm trying my best to keep it alive and it does stay alive more often).

So, if you don't hear me too often talk negatively towards clones or character that "waste a slot", that's because I don't buy the game for the character; I buy for EVERYTHING that is in this game because i know that the whole game (even trophies) can be considered as art. Not to mention that we know it would be detailed art.

All this to say that Sakurai is the person that opened my knowledge to how video games are art and how to love them. He's the best developer I've heard and I want to end my memories by quoting my personal favourite quote he said when he left his job at HAL.

Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some people think the sequel process happens naturally.
And that's it. Today, since I lost all the games I had when I sold my Gamecube, there's some that doesn't worth to get anymore but would like to play them again today. I still have a Gamecube with like 10 games I bough on eabay but this time, I learned from my mistake...

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm once again bored at work so I'll talk about Animal Crossing today.

Animal Crossing came out my freshman year of high school so, like Pikmin, it's another franchise that wasn't a part of my childhood. I feel that it came out at the best time in my high school career. I had a girlfriend at the time, plenty of friends, no job or car to work about, my friends weren't into alcohol yet, and there was none of the pressure about where I'd eventually go to college yet. In a way, it was the calm before the storm and Animal Crossing helped add to that calm. My circle of friends complained that watching people play was boring as all get out but we all took turns and brought over our own memory cards so that we could do chores and talk to our animals neighbors. I was really into the stamp art because I had a Mario Paint guide from 1992 and I used that to make sprites of the Star Fox team and Mario and Zelda characters and I used this to make shirts for my friends.

Looking back on it, I feel that Animal Crossing was the last game that I really got to enjoy with the circle of friends I hung out with from middle school to my second year of college. As time went on, they became more interested in realistic racing games, GTA, and FPSs, leaving me to watch them play, hoping someone would suggest Melee or break out the N64 for Mario Kart or Smash Bros. They started to see those as "kiddy games" and soon I didn't play games with them at all. As said, Animal Crossing kind of marked the beginning of the end. Soon people were able to drive, regularly went on dates, and had part time jobs and we got together less and less. What was once a weekly thing soon turned into a monthly before becoming a "eh... whenever I'm available" kind of thing. Video games and anime were replaced with street racing, drugs, and alcohol and I usually felt like the odd man out. Animal Crossing seemed like a million miles away from the world I was slowly starting to emerge into. After one of friends got sent away to a rehab facility for nearly two years, the group broke up because my friends blamed each other for taking things too far. I guess it's no surprise that I had a hard time getting into the other Animal Crossing games after that.

I still have a lot of good memories of my first village. I remember the first song I heard from K. K. Slider. It was K. K. Ballad and, years later, it would be become "the song" of my girlfriend (an avid AC fan) and me. My two favorite neighbors were Olivia the Cat and Elmer the Horse. Years later on a cold December night, my girlfriend and I would find an abandoned calico kitten in a grocery store parking lot and I would end up naming her Olivia after that neighbor. Coincidentally enough, Olivia would be one of the neighbors in my girlfriend's village when I bought her a 3DS and New Leaf last summer for her birthday.

One of the most curious things that would stick with me from the original Animal Crossing game was "the rain theme." There was so many times I fell asleep while listening to this and the virtual rain, especially when I'd sleep over at one of my friend's houses. It was relaxing and I soon got into the habit of whistling the theme every time it rained and this is still something I do. It always puts a smile on my face when I do it. Imagining the little scarecrow boy with his umbrella, walking around at night during a gentle spring rain, jumping in puddles and talking with friendly animals. Again, it was different from what my high school years would become. In a way, I envied him... He represented when life was simple, the last refuse of childhood. I feel that whenever I whistle that tune that there is always something bittersweet about it. It brings back memories of friends and the simple joys in life that you never really outgrow, no matter how old you get.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Anyone in particular you lookin' forward to?

(Apologies if its in your sig, I've got those turned off for the sake of loading)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Anyone in particular you lookin' forward to?

(Apologies if its in your sig, I've got those turned off for the sake of loading)
The only newcomer I strongly want at this point is Takamaru. There's a number of others that I'd like to see but I'd live if they didn't make the cut since I already got Megaman and Little Mac. As far as veterans go, I want to see Wario and the Ice Climbers.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
With E3 coming to a close later today, let's welcome the three newest additions:

It'sa Me... Mii! Mii Fighters rustle your jimmies! :4mii:
The Goddess of Light comes down from on high to battle. Palutena rises to the challenge! :4palutena:
Round, yellow, and super old, it's Pac-Man! Pac-Man wakas your lakas! :4pacman:

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I'm pretty happy, I know all three were in high demand, so I'm definitely happy for their fans. :)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Pac-Man's moveset exceeded my expectations. I really like the large number of references they put in.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Seeing Pac-Man makes me want to boot up Namco Museum (the PSX/PS1 ones) for some nostalgia.

Why has nobody ever done something similar in presentation?

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I was in the same boat is olimar was gonna be denconfirmed or swap character, but, when he was announced. I was very happy because I think I lost him but nope, is there, fighting for survival like a true captain and for is family!!!
And yes Pikmin is one of my childhood franchise and that I love too.
Then I say, I need to use Olimar just like the good old times For Real this time. Beautiful story too.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Pac-Man's moveset exceeded my expectations. I really like the large number of references they put in.
Tell me about it. When I thought of Pac-Man in Smash, I was sure they were going to use the 3D games for his moveset (since 3D Pac-Man is the only viable version of the character that can actually work in a game like this) but integrating classic Pac-Man elements onto his move set was a neat surprise and totally changed my perception of the character appearing in the game. Yes it's the 3D model, but it is basically classic Pac-Man fighting and that's simply sweet!

Miis were another I wasn't fond of originally, and even though them taking the equivalent of nine move sets is a questionable decision, I like the fighting classes idea. It just seems to bring out the goofy nature of the Mii into life and I think it really exploits the 'customized' nature behind them, more so than one basic move set could ever accomplish.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
History was definitely made today and a lot of people are still trying to make heads or tails of it all. Definitely one of the most exciting Smash reveals in a long time.

Challenging fate and bypassing her dad in a stunning upset, it's Lucina! Lucina seizes destiny! :4lucina:
Proving you don't have to have blue hair to represent Fire Emblem, it's Robin! Robin takes command! :4robinm::4robinf:
Making the legs of men and women around the world quiver with lust since 1990, it's Captain Falcon! Captain Falcon races in! :4falcon:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Meta's comeback really throws me back to younger days. I think I was 11 years old when seeing Brawl's trailer being unveiled. Now approaching 20nth age, it really feels like long time has passed.

Super Smash Bros Revolution...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Meta's comeback really throws me back to younger days. I think I was 11 years old when seeing Brawl's trailer being unveiled. Now approaching 20nth age, it really feels like long time has passed.

Super Smash Bros Revolution...
I remember those days. I recall posting a thread on Nsider promoting Geno back in 2005 and then having someone tell me in one of the posts on the front page that Geno had about as much of a chance of ever getting in Smash Bros as :snake:. I definitely had a long, long laugh about that when I revisited the thread about two years later.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Just wanted to say that my brother and I owe Sakurai a lot for everything he's done for us. If it weren't for him, we wouldn't be so close as friends and as family.

Delighted to see Shulk's here. Who knows what else the future may hold?

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
So, Shulk's inclusion has me more excited than I had anticipated. It reminds me of all the time I devoted to Xenoblade Chronicles (over 130 hours) and the adventures I went on with Shulk and co. throughout. Honestly, I was slightly against his inclusion because I felt he was a threat to Isaac (my most wanted). However, now that he's a realized character, it really does feel like he's "come home." We've reunited, and I can't wait to play as him.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
June 11th, 2014.
I had loved Kid Icarus with every piece of my gaming heart. I played through all 3 games, spammed Nintendo's emails with "Make Uprising 2", and created my own weapons like the Smasbing Staff and the Tyson Arm.

E3 2014 came around and I was psyched. A budjillion thoughts ran through my head, ranging from "ITS GONNA BE JUMPMAN!!!!!!" to "No new characters!" I saw the Reggie-Iwata fight and I thought "Holy **** is this Nintendoployee Ball N? Reggie in Smash?" I saw the Miis and said "I'm ok with this".

I was thinking it'd be like E3 2013: 2 characters in the Nintendo Event and 1 out of of nowhere. When the event was about over, I was hoping for a Jumpman confirmation or something, but to no avail were my attempts.

And then I saw that hair, that chin, that voice. And Wiidude and I can agree on 1 thing: Palutena >>>>>>>> Pac-Man.

Why do I love character reveals? They remind me of my love for gaming, Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, Namco, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, and everything that got me where I stand in gaming today. I remember my childhood Namco collection thingy with a Joystick when I saw Pac-man. I remembered my Awakening journey with Robin. Me beating Tyson when Mac came. Me sucking at defeating Metal Man when Mega Man came. My Animal Crossing life, my playthrough through Kid Icarus NES in my childhood, my mom desperately trying to lose weight with Wii Fit.

Why do I love character reveals? They send me to a place no one can intrude- My past.

Last edited:

HyrulesLegend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheHyrulesLegend
3DS FC
4253-4618-9274
Just an idea for the thread, on each date have it link to the trailer video (If the character was announced via. trailer)

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
So are we gonna wait for the official reveals of the rest of the characters, or will we celebrate the newcomers and veterans now that they've been leaked?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Speculation has come back with a vengeance which means I can actually update this thread again!

Harnessing amazing psychic abilities, it's Ness! Ness is Smash bound once again! :4ness:
An aficionado of bread and pizza cake, it's Falco! Falco barrel rolls back into the action! :4falco:
He'll fart on your grandmother's grave and then laugh about it, it's Wario! Wario shows off his smooth moves! :4wario:
He'll check your pulse and then take it away, it's Dr. Mario! Dr. Mario makes a house call! :4drmario:
Wielding some sharp blades and ever sharper retorts, it's Dark Pit! Dark Pit overshadows the competition! :4darkpit:
The great evil that will never die, it's Ganondorf! Ganondorf rises to power! :4ganondorf:
It's the other super fighting robot, ROB! Rob stacks up to the competition! :4rob:
Beeping and booping all over the damn place ,it's Mr. Game and Watch! Game and Watch brings his A game! :4gaw:
Representing Nintendo's very own brat pack, it's Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings! The Koopa Kids shell out the hurt! :4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:
Fulfilling fantasies of beating him up after waiting 30 years, it's Duck Hunt Dog! Duck Hunt Dog gets the duck in the game! :4duckhunt:
Squishy, pink, and a little bit of a prima donna, it's Jigglypuff! Jigglypuff sings it's battle cry! :4jigglypuff:
They wanted to create the most desirable DLC, and they succeeded, it's Mewtwo! Mewtwo returns! :mewtwopm:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
The ride never ends!

All smiles and no tears, Lucas makes an amazing comeback! Lucas P K'ant be cut! :lucas:

Will :popo::ivysaur::snake::squirtle::wolf: make a comeback too? Stay tuned.
I think you may want to tweak that...

:popo::ivysaur::pt::squirtle::snake::pichumelee::roypm::younglinkmelee: :wolf:

Will any of the Brawl veterans follow Lucas into making the roster? Or any of the Melee people after nearly 14 years of being absent? Find out next time, on Nintendo Direct Z

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nearly two years old and still going! My how time flies!

Burning up the battlefield, Roy unsheathes the Sword of Seals once again! Roy brings the joy! :4feroy:
Synonymous with fighting games, Ryu takes on his greatest challenge yet! Ryu fights for glory! :4ryu:

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Thanks for updating this. :b:

I want someone (or me) to make a big post when the ballot results are announced.

:231:

Top Bottom