• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

And Then He Morphed All Over Those Guys: Jason the Red Power Ranger Support Thread

MAtgSy

Smash Ace

Who is Jason?
I feel like I don't need to explain what Power Rangers to anyone but in any event Jason Lee Scott, portrayed by Austin St. John, is the leader of the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, pretty much the big hit show of children's television in 1993. Using a magic that grants him the strength of a T-Rex, Jason fought evil aliens on a weekly basis for approximately 1.5 seasons while teaching martial arts classes & participating in dozens of charity events on the side.

Why a power rangers rep?
The franchise was HUGE back in the day & had an 11 year run on Nickelodeon (admittedly, the weakest of the 3 big "eras" of the show IMO). Additionally, there's an undeniable dream match factor with Ninja Turtles already being in the game, as MMPR pretty much took TMNT's place as the most popular kids brand in the 90s.

How does Jason fight?
Well aside from MMPR being a very fight-scene heavy series, NASB2 could curb a lot from PR's own fighting game, Battle for the Grid. While BftG was more of a MVC type of fighter, it had SSB-like specials mapped to a designated button+directional or air inputs. This provides an existing template that they could copy. Martial arts moves, sword as his main weapon, a side arm that changes from short sword to laser gun, & optional summoning of the Megazord to stomp his opponents.

Why Jason over any other ranger?

Well yes, I'm sure everyone and their grandmother would sooner expect Tommy (MMPR Green amongst other colors) to be the go to guy, but with the passing of his actor Jason David Frank last year, it's perhaps for the best to let Tommy rest for now. At least with Jason there's still the chance of Austin reprising the role (as he did in BftG). The only other ranger I really considered was Troy, the red ranger of Mega Force. Not only is Troy from 2 of the Nick-era seasons, but he can morph into any past red ranger, including MMPR Red. Certainly that would make for a much more interesting moveset, but if the '87 turtles are any indication, then Gen 1 nostalgia wins hard & again, the dream match factor of Jason vs. Leo shoots down any other PR team getting in.

What are Jason's chances?
Slim to nil, frankly. 1. Nick doesn't own PR and never did. & 2. it no longer airs on the channel anymore. My thinking is Jason could be NASB's version of a guest fighter: shows that were on Nickelodeon at some point that weren't an owned IP. Such shows are still a part of Nickelodeon history & thus IMO worth having a place in these games. But until we get an actual example of a guest fighter coughDangerMousecough Jason will remain unlikely.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Hmm

My major concern is the legal situation of ASJ, so I don't think he would get it and neither would JDF. If I had to pick one, it'll be Zach or Billy

Jason would be nice surprise for NASB3, but I'm giving MMPR the support as I'm a big fan.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Hmm

My major concern is the legal situation of ASJ, so I don't think he would get it and neither would JDF. If I had to pick one, it'll be Zach or Billy

Jason would be nice surprise for NASB3, but I'm giving MMPR the support as I'm a big fan.
Although thankfully they wear full body costumes so they won't have to shell out money for image licensing rights (unless they want them to have their unmorphed forms as alts), and they can just use a soundalike. BFTG itself used plenty of soundalikes, with only Jason, Tommy, Eric, Adam, Scorpina, Goldar, Rita, and Zordon actually voiced by their original actors.

Last edited:

NapoleonDos

Smash Cadet
I support this character! I think its odd to not have Power Rangers content in this game. Same with the Winx.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think the chances of a Power Rangers character would be higher if Nickelodeon still held the rights to the franchise. I do remember a few Samurai and Dino Charge characters appearing in the Nick Super Brawl Flash games about a decade ago, so the company isn’t adverse in using PR characters for crossovers. As for characters I’d pick if PR characters were in NASB 1:
  • Red Samurai Ranger (the female version would be an alternate costume with separate voice clips)
  • Tommy Oliver as the Green Ranger (with the White Ranger as an alternate costume)
  • Goldar (with his Maximus form as an alternate costume)

Top Bottom