• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ANCIENT SMASH 64 INDEX - Rest well, old friend. Star King will forever be Dirk King.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i never had that happen to me, and judging from the sparcity of your attempts i was thinking you were doing more than just clicking a button
i actually made like 6 attempts over the course of that day at different computers with different wifi, each time attributing it to a ****ty network

(ive been going to a lot of hospitals recently)

and when it failed at home i was like 'welp time to phone it in, better prove this **** is gay'

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
Can someone give me Keyboard controls, Im using N-rage input plugin V2.

Shears

Smash Master
You map them to whatever you want them to be. If you're asking whats an ideal configuration you should ask Killer or Star King, but I think most people use their left hand for movement and right hand for a,b,etc. I also think spacebar is typically used for jumping or z-cancelling. I'm just guessing though.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Keyboard controls

E for second favorite C-button. Del/End for the rest of the Cs.
W for taunt
Spacebar for start - if I go tryhard I move the start away a little bit, even though that's not my DI hand so I shouldn't worry about hitting it by mistake
and arrow keys to move

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero

This is my keyboard set-up. Yes I know this is not NRage, input it yourself.

Index finger on L by default, middle finger on P, pinky on Enter, thumb on Space. Use Index to hit B button and taunt button. Use pinky to hit Start button. Also I use Space for z-canceling.

mixa what about Start, L, other C buttons?

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
So, do you use your ring finger? I use everyone except my thumb because but that would mean including the spacebar as a common input, and I don't like that.
I'm also curious about something: is pivoting, or pivot shield drop, easier for you to one side than the other?

mixa what about Start, L, other C buttons?
I edited my previous post.

The Star King

Smash Hero
So, do you use your ring finger?
I'm also curious about something: is pivoting, or pivot shield drop, easier for you to one side than the other?
I use my ring finger for [ (right C), which I only use for Ness DJCs ( [ -> P -> L ) and changing color, other than that not really.

No not really.

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668

In Non-Image form
A: D
B: F
S: Space
L: Z
R: A
Z: S
L/R/U/D for Left, Right, Up, Down (Arrow,)
C-buttons, Right Ctl, Right Shift, End, and Enter

mixa

Banned via Warnings
made a gif of this thing from the ATs manual,

Advanced Shielddropping

It is already noted before that you can drop through platforms while shielded. However, its usefulness on platforms extends beyond the convenience of falling from a shield. As explained by Isai:

“In SSB64 this is almost always the quickest way to jump from a platform (block and fall through to use your double jump instantly) therefore letting you avoid attacks that target your landing point more easily by jumping off of the platform the moment you land on it. Using this technique to use your double jump instantly from a platform (faster than pressing down + jump) gives you the height of a double jump right away which can be pretty useful when combined with attacks. So you could have the height and speed of a double jump into an upb attack as well.

lavender link jumps 5 frames before crimson link.
however, that is TAS and to get those 5 frames you'd need to input the whole shield-drop-jump in 3 frames:

1 - shield
2 - shield + down
3 - up / jump

besides that, it's only 5 frames because link takes a while before getting off the ground, if you get good characters like fox, the frame advantage is now 1, meaning, there's no frame advantage because you'll never get that sequence in 3 frames, let's be real. but you do get 1 blue frame on the shield drop.

Last edited:

rpotts

Smash Lord
A+ post mixa.

This technique would prove most useful using characters with long jumpsquat animations, like link, 7 frames is long enough for shield drop DJ to be advantageous. Other slowly jumping characters include Jiggs, DK and Yoshi, I believe which have 5 or 6 frame jumpsquats. Everyone else is 3 frames except Falcon's 4 (this is from memory so don't be surprised if I'm missing someone) and as mixa stated the advantage is negligible, frame wise, though DJ height will be useful for some characters, like Fox's super high double jump.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
this is a pretty cool thread

wish it could be stickied; seems useful

M!nt

Smash Champion
good night, sweet prince

perhaps i shall necro it 5 years from now when it looks clean and tidy in comparison to the new one
Whenever you feel like updating this one we can switch back to yours, sorry for stealing your thread :c

asianaussie

Smash Hero
if you feel guilty about that, then don't

it's honestly been a blight on the sticky section for the longest time (ever since the forum swap, and even before then it was kinda ugh), and im glad someone took the initiative to write a substitute

i didn't actually write the index for the glory... once upon a time, i actually cared about the development of this community too :happysheep:

B Link

Smash Lord
Advanced Shielddropping

It is already noted before that you can drop through platforms while shielded. However, its usefulness on platforms extends beyond the convenience of falling from a shield. As explained by Isai:

“In SSB64 this is almost always the quickest way to jump from a platform (block and fall through to use your double jump instantly) therefore letting you avoid attacks that target your landing point more easily by jumping off of the platform the moment you land on it. Using this technique to use your double jump instantly from a platform (faster than pressing down + jump) gives you the height of a double jump right away which can be pretty useful when combined with attacks. So you could have the height and speed of a double jump into an upb attack as well.
Wow I am such a nub. I didn't know he was dropping when he did that. I thought he was just putting up his shield -- great post mixa, I'm glad I visit these boards from time to time

Maybe this explains why I could never do this combo (even in TAS -_-):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31QZIivdr8

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
made a gif of this thing from the ATs manual,

Advanced Shielddropping

lavender link jumps 5 frames before crimson link.
however, that is TAS and to get those 5 frames you'd need to input the whole shield-drop-jump in 3 frames:

1 - shield
2 - shield + down
3 - up / jump

besides that, it's only 5 frames because link takes a while before getting off the ground, if you get good characters like fox, the frame advantage is now 1, meaning, there's no frame advantage because you'll never get that sequence in 3 frames, let's be real. but you do get 1 blue frame on the shield drop.

What about jumping out of shield?

Sangoku

Smash Master
Welcome to smashboards mixa: all the info is available everywhere but nobody searches. People just ask. That's the whole purpose of my big thread or the index: it's not for beginner who might find their answers, it's for us to answer them. I'm not complaining by the way, I really don't mind looking up for them and answering them.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Warning Received
im asking specifically jumping out of shield vs shield drop jump.

more applicable would be shield drop jump vs double jump out of shield.

****head

Top Bottom