• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ancient Japanese advice re: metagame

St. Viers

Smash Champion
As I mentioned in my response to The King's post, "The Book of the 5 Rings" by legendary swordsman Miyamoto Musashi has had a drastic influence on my approach to Smash. Just a quote from it that IMO sums up the meta-game to smash, even though written hundreds of years ago:

"There are various rhythms to the martial arts. Firs know the rhythm of balance, and be able to distinguish the rhythm of imbalance. Within the rhythms of large and small, slow and fast, know the rhythms of contact, the rhythm of spacing as well as the rhythm of resistance to rhythm. These are essential to martial arts. If you are unable to discern the rhythm of resistance to your opponents rhythm, your martial arts will not be correct. In a battle of martial arts, victory is in knowing the rhythms of your various opponents, in using a rhythm your opponent will be unable to grasp and in developing a rhythm of emptiness rather than one of wisdom"

There are other parts of the book that are also really useful (but I haven't memorized them yet) that I feel are entirely relevant to playing Smash better. It goes over the problem with having a set style, way of moving, and things not to do.

Anyone else know of this book/share my views?

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
I've heard of it, and I definately see why you're incorporating it into your game, which is great. I need to pick this up, so I'll keep the title in mind.

Other pieces of literature, for instance, "The Art of War", can also apply to SSBM, not to mention as well as to your life.

Razed

Smash Ace
Hey that's pretty cool!

And btw Fastfox, you just made your 3k post a little while ago =p

Top Bottom