• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Open Letter To The Smash 4 Player

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I'm not talking about putting fault on player's ability to adapt. I'm talking about those who manage to win through the means I had listed and how displeasing, shameful, and sad it is for players to resort to those methods to get a win.
What do you expect Mega Man to do? Half his moveset is projectiles. What, are Mega Man players supposed to just go for grabs and high landing lag aerials all the time?

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
When people say "patient" what do they mean. I am a pit and he is about that grab. do they mean when you think there is an opening, you rush in and roll away or rush in and empty sh, then grab and an example of being impatient is just running in and grab?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When people say "patient" what do they mean. I am a pit and he is about that grab. do they mean when you think there is an opening, you rush in and roll away or rush in and empty sh, then grab and an example of being impatient is just running in and grab?
Being patient mand and just not making risks that are too obvious.

Work off your opponent, don't let them work off of them.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I believe that the game and its community has a lot of potential, but I continue to see little innovation in your meta. I wanted to get this off my chest and say my thoughts on why the Smash 4 meta is so lackluster. I'm by no means an authority on the game. You can agree or disagree for all I care.

You don't take risks.
This is mostly aimed at the mid level. A lot of players at this level and below will think the only approaching option in Smash 4 is jump ins, but then you own't do that because it's unsafe on shield. There's a reason why, there's a lot of rewards and spacing options with it, so there naturally has to be a balance with the risk. That aside, it doesn't hurt to take the risk sometimes to toss out a powerful attack as a hard read. It's high risk, high reward. You have to learn how to manage risks and just go “here goes nothing”.

If you don't take risks, we're just going to have 90% of our matches on Smashville STILL and everyone picks Sheik because she's the safest character in the game.

You don't know how to practice.
This isn't quite anyone's fault. In other fighting games, practice is not that hard to set up. Things like random block, working on combos, resets, etc. aren't options we have available in Smash. Smash is very bare bones with its training mode, but you can still practice.

You can study up on how DI works (it's a lot less complex than you think), what is a character's strength and weaknesses, and more. One thing I found extremely helpful was seeing that every character is designed to be proficient in two out of three ranges – close, mid, and long. Exceptions may exist here and there, but this is generally the case. With that in mind, you can try to exploit that hole in their range options. This is where CPU's can be helpful, but their capacity is limited.

You aren't patient.
Without fail, you will see beginners just running in, jumping, and rolling. Walking is seriously neglected and is vital for having control of the situation. Sure, you may not get in quickly and rack up damage, but it's better to wait and get the momentum than to just go all berserker. There may be periods where attacks don't connect at all or you're both just moving around. That's totally fine as both of you are trying to safely get an attack in. Patience is arguably the most important of the fundamentals in a fighting game.

You care more about execution than strategy.
This is human nature really. You gravitate to the flashy stuff sooner than the boring and practical. Things like perfect pivot are very limited in their practical usage. You can get cool combos with them, but the chance of pulling them off at high level is unlikely. It's not about who can do the coolest stuff, it's about who uses their stuff the best.

You fit characters into molds they won't fit in.
Most of the time, I see players trying to play characters the same as they would any other character. Typically, this is rush down. With some characters like Roy or Sheik, that's great, but every character is not going to work that way.

I'll see some players try to be aerial heavy with heavyweights, when it's clear they excel at ground combat. Thankfully, no one in their right mind tries to play an air heavy Mac. I'll see aggressive play of characters that really aren't meant to be played that way like Zelda and Palutena. They're more zoning and turtling than in your face gameplay. You should adapt your playstyle to those characters instead of the other way around if you're intent on playing them.

I'm not exactly anti customs, but I can't help but think that customs give players tunnel vision of what tools a character has. You become more focused on the special than the normals which are used for the bulk of a match. To a certain degree, these customs can be crutch moves such as the infamous case with Kong Cyclone, even if it's manageable.

You play for show, not to win.
Maybe it's the whole talk of eSports and sponsors, and maybe a little bit of Melee's influence, but for the love of God do what you have to win. This is a game, not a show. If you don't need to win using a bunch of rushdown then don't do it. If you need to, go ahead. Don't go for style. If you get style, that's great and is definitely a crowd pleaser, but don't go looking for it.
Not taking risks contradicts not being patient. Low-mid level players take far too many risks by committing to stuff they don't have to.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Not taking risks contradicts not being patient. Low-mid level players take far too many risks by committing to stuff they don't have to.
Not really. Nothing's 100% infallible. People get too patient, inpatient, aggro, defensive, w/e. But, whatever you do, it has to be calculated,

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There's a difference between taking a risk and going ham.

Good play emphasizes when to take the risk. That's what Kuma is talking about.

Top Bottom