• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Indepth Look into the Jigglypuff Ditto- as Told By Chozen "The Living Legend" One

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
It has come to my attention that there is a dark cloud that surrounds the Jigglypuff community as a whole. It really begins at the most basic level of having very few "known" players to call their own... for example--> every other high tier character and above has at least five or more "pro level" players in which to make reference to ie-

Fox- M2K, KDJ, Tink, Chillin, Lunin
Falco- PC, Dope, Shiz, Forward, Dave
Shiek- DSF, Azen, Marcus, Isai, KDJ
Marth- Ken, KM, Neo, M2K, Aho
Peach- MikeG, CrazyJones, Doll, Vidgo, Wife
Falcon- Isai, DarkRain, G-Reg, SilentSpector,
Ganon- Tipman, Eddie, Chaddd, Bushman, Ken
Samus- Oro, Hugs, Wes, Watty, Aniki
Doc- Bob$, Caveman, Cyphus, S Royal, KirbySquad
Jiggs- King, Kish, Chozen...
Mario- TheCape, MuffinKing, BrownMario, Eggz, Gimpyfish
IC's- Chu, Azn Lep, Meep, Trail, Wobbles

Now you would think that due to the small amount of Jigglypuff players to represent the rest of our community at tourneys that the lack of experience would help us because our opponents would not know what to do against a character with 5 midair jumps, the best recovery in the game, and a move with a speed/gayness factor equal to the shine... however I'm not here to speak about the mindgames within mindgames necessary in order to play against those players with Jigglypuff experience, and those without.. but here to explain what is necessary in order to "correctly" play a Jigglypuff ditto.

The main problem I find is that most Jigglypuff players never have the need to play a ditto against another Jigglypuff. Think for a second.. how many Peach players do you see dittoing?? not a lot but a few.. Marth.. Fox and Falco... Clearly for our community it is not necessary to become defined in this matchup where Fox's and Falco's run into each other all of the time in tourney. This is clearly a reason that most players feel that "dittos prove nothing".. because technically i guess that this statement is true in the fact that... how often are you going to be forced to play a person with similar skills as you, but then at the same time... does not understanding how to play against a low tier character give you an appropriate "john" because you don't have enough experience... i think not. The only difference, is that the likelihood of you facing a Jigglypuff [or another ditto of sorts] is a lot more likely than finding a low tier in a tourney [unless your local hero is a bowser player].

So in order to become the best player possible you must learn how to play every matchup.. whether it is another Jigglypuff, or a Pichu.

There are 4 most basic points which every Jigglypuff ditto entails...

Air Camping

Fear

Patience

Grabbing

this explanation shall tell you how to deal with, and utilize each one.

Air Camping

Most of the time this matchup is going to be decided not by the more skilled player in the air, but on the ground. "Air Camping" is effective in most matchups, but unfortunately this is the reason that many Jigglypuff players hate "Jiggs ditto'ing".. neither player does anything except attempt to add up damage by spamming Bair. Air Camping is often times what players inexperienced in this matchup fall back upon because they expect an 8 minute match. Break out of the mold, and become offensive! This is the "secret" to winning this matchup.

This clearly seems like an excellent idea because.. Their shield can't last forever right?? well clearly a Nair/Usmash out of shield can kind of put a damper on a Jiggs that either fails to space/gets lazy/or pulls out too slow. This constant barrage of B/Fairs gets extremely predictable and old, so i also suggest that if they do a falling Fair that you WD forward, and grab them.. or do an Fsmash... if they plan to be trixie and pull back after a Bair then jump forward and Fair them.. remember... they still have lag from their Bair. That **** isn't instantaneous.

Just keep up the pressure, and all of your aircamping worries should be over.

Fear

Clearly fear is a large factor in this matchup b/c anytime a rest is available for one player, it is clearly also able to be attempted by the other, so the only time that resting actually becomes viable is if one of the players misses a rest, and their opponent is killed off the sides [and not the top], and then a chain of "avenger KO resting" begins. You actually want to get in your opponent’s face, and prevent them from running away. Think of this matchup much like you view fighting a projectile spamming opponent... you shut them down by getting in their face.. and clearly this is exactly what you are forced to do.

I also talked earlier about a few amount of "Pro Level" players that play Jigglypuff. This does not only extend to actually fighting someone experienced in the matchup, but also fighting another Jigglypuff player entirely. If someone is unexperienced in this matchup then they become afraid to commit to a combo, and aircamping resumes.. you'll beable to recongnize those whom play this match little when they "fear" your offensive playstyle... Punish they resillance!

No one clearly wants to have more % on them than the other, but then at the same time neither player definitely does not want to be down more than one stock here. This creates a situation where [in every other matchup] the Jigglypuff player would not be afraid to rest, but for some reason the possiblity of your opponent resting you is enough to deter even the almighty KishPrime... I tell you now.. do not be scared! When your opponent does a Pound into your shield, jump out and rest them.. or if they DI into your from your Pound.. rest them then.. or perhaps if they Roll off the ledge onto the stage or tech onto a platform... well ... you know what to do... Fear often causes people to hold back, and make mistakes. Fear nothing.

Patience

Patience is obviously the key here, but not in the sense of getting in hits, but in the way of waiting for your rival Jiggs to perform a Bair/Fair/Pound in which case you space a pound so perfectly that only the very edge o/t hitbox come into contact w/ your opponent, which allows you to Bair your opponent a good 30%. You also shouldn't underestimate the value of a weak Fair.. Fair is a little fast than Bair imo, and is useful when you are up-close, and your counterpart is a little below you.. b/c your friend will attempt to Bair you, but unfortunately for them, Fair is quick, and you shouldn't be low enough for them to fully connect w/ their gayass air camping.

This matchup is clearly fuxing w/ whittling your opponent's percent up, while tricking them to go above you, so you are given the opportunity to Uair... the only real viable way of getting a low% KO. Don't get upset because your opponent has excellent DI, and they are still alive at 134+ %.. it happens. We've all played Peach before *rolls eyes*. That ***** lives forever, and so does Jigglypuff. Don't get greedy, and Spam Fsmash.. use your head, and Fair them until they come from above you, and then Uair them into oblivion... don't get stupid, b/c you want a KO. Play smart, and WAIT for your oppertunities.. trick them into expecting a Uair, and then Bair a KO when they attempt to go around you...

Grabbing

This is exactly where most of the "in-between" damage is going to come from. You'll know whether or not you are playing your Jigglypuff dittos correctly if you are grabbing your opponent quite a bit, slapping then a couple of times [free percent is always good] and then Bthrowing them [to attempt to follow up with a Bair.. or Kill w/ a Uair depending on if they DI up], or Fthrowing them [if you think they're expecting a Bthrow in which case the knockback is quite good..]. Expect Fsmashes when you are at relatively high %'s.. as stated above a lot of players in this matchup tend to get very frustrated, and tend to go for quick KOs.. this is not a good strategy, but it works occasionally enough that many players try to exploit the unannounced F/Usmash. Don't let this shizz happen. Anticipate it, and then take that free grab.

Along these same lines, a lot of Jiggs players also try to go for that Pound-->Bair combo.. assume that anytime you are shielding that an Fsmash, or Pound is coming.. in my experience most Jigglypuff players don't recognize that sometimes the best move you can do is actually not doing a move, and then landing next to your opponent, and grabbing their shizz.. however if they do attempt this then punish their thinking w/ an Fsmash or Usmash.

Just be aware that shielding is good, but like rock beats sissors.. grab beats shield. Keep them on their toes, and off the ground by grabbing their stalling ***. They're clearly fuxing w/ losing this ditto if they're getting grabbed alot... Confidence.

End

In conclusion do not fear Jigglypuff dittos. It may be an odd matchup, unlike any other, but then again... isn't every ditto full of ridiculousness that doesn't work in any other matchup?? In Peach dittos the turnip spammer that floats higher is often the victor.. in Shiek dittos the superior chaingrabber wins.. when two marths go at it, clearly he whom is fuxing w/ playing gayest is the one who shall be named winner. Leave now, and stop counterpicking Falco, Fox, Marth, and Shiek. Leave now, and stay true to your main, and true to your soul. Perhaps this look into a feared an hated matchup shall aid even the wise and renowned KishPrime to fuxing w/ Amazing...

Good Day Sirs.

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Jiggs- King, Kish, Chozen...
LOL I bet Plank will have a lot to say about this.

and Crazy in "CrazyJones" is spelled Krazy

Hi Chozen. How are you doing?

Edit: It's Silentspectre not silentspector

but why am I criticizing you on spelling?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Last time i checked ive beat you every jigg ditto we've played.

*Thumbs up*

Planks guide to Jiggs dittos: 1.) Back air
2.) Forward air
3.) empty shorthops/wavelands
4.) usmash out of shield when they don't space well
5.) be smarter than your opponent

well there ya have it, 100% flawless jigg ditto

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
I was clearly Fuxing w/ getting my point across.. yes, it should probably say

King, Kish, Chozen, KillaOr, Tetsuya, Aero, Darc, Magus, Arash, Demised, ect...

aside from the obvious "blunder" is there a disagreement w/ my points??

There's clearly a shortage of Jigglypuff players no matter how you look at it.

Good Day Sirs.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I dunno, I guess it's just that king and darc beat good people, and aren't retired.

Banks

Smash Hero
King is ok, but Darc beats PC. no contezt MAENE LEWL

edit: why in the **** is everyone in here a smash director lolol

doyoung2win

Smash Ace
i've never seen him play so i can't say anything, but nice guide. its helpful, i usually just play fox and camp lasers --> nair and upsmashs/ upthrow upair.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
I think it's more just that we all hate Jigglypuff dittos, except for Chosen. All these other nuts sit around all day playing Falco dittos and Fox dittos and Falcon dittos. Shrug.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
WTF

ok and more on topic can i ask if Chosen One is even a pro because i have never seen a video and he talks himself up so much

Sliq

Smash Master
HAHA! I'm going to use ChozenOne's one guide against him to win our Jiggz ditto!

MWAHAHAHA!!!

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Old though this may be... ****! How'd I miss this? I sorely could've used this at the last tournament I was at a month ago, 3 Jiggs in our 6-man pool including myself LOL

Rollout FTW BTW, no lie there

constant rollouts ='ed end of a superior marth's last stock XP

EDIT: Oh, did I forget to mention? Besides us 3 in the 1 pool, there were at least two other Puffs there at that 50-man tournament. I think 3.

Luckily (or unfortunately) I did not make it out of pools (ONE win separated me from 4th seed :mad:), but I did see at least one more Puff ditto there. Poor Yoshii, I thought the world of him when I first saw him at my first tournament, figures he'd try to change chars. to avoid puff dittoing Puffinator (Who BTW was the Rollout FTW man, vs. KSSB who went on to win the tournament XP)

Seriously, I saw more Puff players in that one room than I did at the entirety of MeleeFC Diamond :S

Top Bottom