• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Idea for NSO's Future

After letting yesterday's Nintendo Direct sink in, I just got a great idea for a Nintendo Switch Online shift.

When the next Nintendo console gets here, we should shift the available retro games a little.

Basic Nintendo Switch Online
1: NES
2: SNES
3: Game Boy
4: Game Boy Color

Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack
5: Sega Master System (New System!)
6: Sega Genesis
7: Nintendo 64
8: Game Boy Advance

Nintendo Online Basic (Successor System only)
9: Sega CD (New System!)
10: Sega 32X (New System!)
11: Virtual Boy (New System!)

Nintendo Online Expansion Pack (Successor System only)
9: Sega CD (New System!)
10: Sega 32X (New System!)
11: Virtual Boy (New System!)
12: Sega Saturn (New System!)
13: Game Gear (New System)
14: Nintendo 64DD (New System!)

Also, plans for Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Nintendo DS games would be rumored for the successor system on top of all this.

Basically, if I had my way, it would be divided into four tiers of retro games, with the Nintendo Switch's basic library being the weakest of all four.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Yeah that could be cool. Even if it’s very flawed I kinda hope nintendo switch online stays into the next console generation simply because it’s already been released and I don’t want to have to live through the hassle of them taking a super long time to add games/consoles anymore.

Only (relatively) likely way I would want it to be cut would be if virtual console is brought back

Last edited:
Yeah that could be cool. Even if it’s very flawed I kinda hope nintendo switch online stays into the next console generation simply because it’s already been released and I don’t want to have to live through the hassle of them taking a super long time to add games/consoles anymore.
I can see why you think that. Also, my idea is not ideal for me, either. I would hope all the NSO games would be on the basic service its successor brings, but I also know that you need exclusives to bring sales up. Which is why I created four tiers of retro consoles for two in-production systems.

Only (relatively) likely way I would want it to be cut would be if virtual console is brought back
Oh, for sure! Imagine if every console that ever was on Virtual Console was brought back for this revival all at once, from the arcade to the Nintendo DS, and everything in between.

Last edited:

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I don't think people would be excited for virtual boy games

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Honestly why not have both Virtual Console and NSO that would give people more Options!
Also when it comes to retro Gaming we really need new Versions/ rereleases of old consoles and Games I mean Does Nintendo even realize how much money that would bring them? (because obviously selling a cartridge can be done reasonably for higher price!)

Honestly why not have both Virtual Console and NSO that would give people more Options!
Also when it comes to retro Gaming we really need new Versions/ rereleases of old consoles and Games I mean Does Nintendo even realize how much money that would bring them? (because obviously selling a cartridge can be done reasonably for higher price!)
Admittedly, I would love to see Virtual Console and the NSO model coexist, but they'd probably go with the latter first unless otherwise.

However, a Limited Run-style reprint of actual old Nintendo hardware and software would be extraordinary news for retro Nintendo fans, which I would actually like if it happened.

Top Bottom