• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An easy and dependible 70%+ chain grab from 0%?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I was messing around yesterday with the Ice Climbers in training mode and decided to try putting some spins on some of the most basic chain grabs. What I did was make Popo do a dthrow and then timed Nana to do a Dsmash as soon as my target hit the ground. They would then bounce the same distance they would after a regular dthrow so I'd then do the same thing over again until my target was at about 40% then I would do a Nana spike. From there, I would time a double fsmash which would set the damage total to about 72%.

There was another variation I did where after the Nana spike where I would go into an Ice Block lock. When done about 3/4 across Final Destination, the most damage I got was 114% damage (against Snake). If I had done it from the far end of Final Destination, I would have probably gotten about 122-126%.

There was another method I tried but I have a strong feeling that it wouldn't work too well on human opponents. After the Nana spike, I would "poke" my target with a jab, forcing the get up animation so that I could grab them again. I would then "drag" them to the edge where I would either Nana spike them to their death, spike them on the ground into a double fsmash, or just hold them so I would whack them with two smash attacks from Nana.

While I'm at it, I wanted ask if another chain grab I do against heavier opponents is inescapable or if my friends just don't know how to get out of it. What I do is do a dthrow at 0% then a little bit before the throw ends, I make Nana do a squall attack forward. While my target is being dragged forward, I grab them just before the squall ends. I then repeat this until about 40% where I then do what I what I described at the end of the third paragraph.

So, my question is whether or not these are dependible or if my friends just don't know how to handle chain grabs?

TKD

Smash Lord
Yes, it's escapable. You can DI upwards+jump, maybe not from 0%, though. If you want an easy and dependable chainthrow from 0%, try downthrow>spiking twice, then doing the fthrow chain until the end of the stage for a spike resulting in a KO.

Your assistant has to walk a bit forward to regrab, you have to walk a bit forward and dashgrab to regrab easily. Child characters, puff, ganon and MK are the hardest to fthrow chain. It's not really dependable against Lucas and Metaknight, unless you get lucky. Remember, Samus, DDD, etc are thrown slower so you have to wait an instant longer.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
i can't f throw chain to save my life, i alternate dthrow to fthrow, but you should try to work on things that are more inescapable like the dthrow to fair to iceblock, id bet its more dependable than dsmash

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
i can't f throw chain to save my life, i alternate dthrow to fthrow, but you should try to work on things that are more inescapable like the dthrow to fair to iceblock, id bet its more dependable than dsmash
I can do the Ice Block lock and I said that several times. What I did was dthrow and dsmash practically at the same time until they reach about 40% and then go into an ice block lock or double fsmash.

Top Bottom