• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Aspiring Professional Falco

LilCaesar

Smash Rookie
Whats up everyone! I just recently created an account here at smashboards because im going to make an attempt to go professional with my main falco (Gonna be a lot of blood, sweat, and tears ik) and I feel I can learn a lot from the community here to better my game and maybe bring me one step closer to that level.

So I have a few questions that im unsure about and im hoping somebody can answer them because ik how difficult it can be to explain some of the games mechanics and what not.

1. I can do the DACUS/BDACUS pretty consistently now but, its 2013 now so the DACUS is an obvious threat to many players. Studying DEHF And SK92 I have an idea of when i should execute it but besides the dthrow-bdacus setup, are there any other optimal or useful setups?

2. That brings me to my second question. Im assuming with the dthrow-bdacus setup that a successful kill not only requires opponents to be at kill percent but also within a specfic damage threshold that varies between different characters, is this indeed the case?

3. I have trouble canceling my IAP into shorter versions, the timing seems so obscenely strict without having to mash the B button. Plus because my fingers arent the quickest I set the Y button to special for an easy IAP but that prevent me from mashing B quick enough. Are there perhaps any tips or hints to make this easier?

4. Certain friends that I play with like to mash their jabs (more successfully with characters like sheik and lucario) when i jab-->jab-->buffer grab and id say 90% of the time if their mashing my grab is simply not quick enough. Im either not buffering the grab correctly or it can be out mashed. I see professionals usually not trying to out mash falcos jab combos though, possibly because they want to avoid as much damage as possible?

I have many more questions but this is quite a bit already. I hope someone can shed some light on these :cool: I would greatly appreciate it! For Falco fellas we gotta keep our breads :falco:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
1.shield drop Bdacus and Dthrow Bdacus are the 2 most interesting applications. You can use dacus to punish empty short hops.

2.Yes

3.Keep training, there's no shortcut for this one. Keep doing it again and again until you find the special timing.

4.Then jab>jab>shield>shieldgrab. Jab>grab is never a true combo so you have to mix up stuff.

Hum next time you have questions I guess it's better to use the Q&A thread.

MegurineLuka

Smash Rookie
1. What teluo said, but keep in mind that just a plain running usmash is an option.

2. Only if they have poor DI. Your opponent can simply DI up.

thespacecowboy

Smash Rookie
Shl to up smash is one of my personal favorite mix ups, also shdl to bdacus (both lasers need to connect though and the other player needs to be in the air)

Whats up everyone! I just recently created an account here at smashboards because im going to make an attempt to go professional with my main falco (Gonna be a lot of blood, sweat, and tears ik) and I feel I can learn a lot from the community here to better my game and maybe bring me one step closer to that level.

So I have a few questions that im unsure about and im hoping somebody can answer them because ik how difficult it can be to explain some of the games mechanics and what not.

1. I can do the DACUS/BDACUS pretty consistently now but, its 2013 now so the DACUS is an obvious threat to many players. Studying DEHF And SK92 I have an idea of when i should execute it but besides the dthrow-bdacus setup, are there any other optimal or useful setups?

2. That brings me to my second question. Im assuming with the dthrow-bdacus setup that a successful kill not only requires opponents to be at kill percent but also within a specfic damage threshold that varies between different characters, is this indeed the case?

3. I have trouble canceling my IAP into shorter versions, the timing seems so obscenely strict without having to mash the B button. Plus because my fingers arent the quickest I set the Y button to special for an easy IAP but that prevent me from mashing B quick enough. Are there perhaps any tips or hints to make this easier?

4. Certain friends that I play with like to mash their jabs (more successfully with characters like sheik and lucario) when i jab-->jab-->buffer grab and id say 90% of the time if their mashing my grab is simply not quick enough. Im either not buffering the grab correctly or it can be out mashed. I see professionals usually not trying to out mash falcos jab combos though, possibly because they want to avoid as much damage as possible?

I have many more questions but this is quite a bit already. I hope someone can shed some light on these :cool: I would greatly appreciate it! For Falco fellas we gotta keep our breads :falco:
I am about to tell you the best piece of advice you will ever learn. I am a 5+ year falco main and equally +5 year smashboards daily scrub. So, I got mad credentials to speak up for that claim.

"You will learn nothing from smashboards after a point. Getting that pro status is all about self-study."

Anyway,

1) Don't worry about seeking out specific locations for when to use it as you need to spend your focus time on other things. You should be able to dacus and dacus on demand and on the spot. When you cannot read your opponent you have to be able to improvise and react to what they do. If they give you an opportunity to dacus, take it. What will it look like? I do not know. Too many scenarios you could dacus on and make it work. Don't bother memorizing when you can get it to work. You need to work on the skill to quickly make the judgement call to dacus here because you can given what your opponent just did and it will connect over another option. How to get that skill? Just keep playing. The human body is weird.

2) No idea what you mean. "...specific damage threshold...." If they are at KO percent, Usmash will KO. No threshold after that. But, you actually have to land the dthrow -> bdacus anyway. Any character choosing DI that sends them upwards will never get hit. Might be better to dthrow -> dash (checking DI during dash and option used) -> choose appropriate method afterwards.

3) There are 3 distinct SideB cancels each activated by a different one frame window strung together one after the next (i.e. 17 (short), 18 (mid), 19 (long)). I just did a quick mash for 7 seconds counter with my thumb. I got 54 clicks in 7 seconds => 7.7 clicks per second => 60 frames in a second => ~8 frame per button press. Unless you are like 8 times faster than me at button mashing, your mashing will completely skip over the 3 frame window to ever get any of the shortens. I recommend not mashing. And just get the feel for timing like you probably did for doing SHL and SHDL. Also, I doubt moving your thumb from Y -> B takes 1/3 of a second.

tl;dr? Don't mash. Get better timing. How to get better timing? SideB -> time B press. Did it work you get shorten? Yes, do it again. No, do it again. Repeat until you get bored or your satisfied with whatever success level you want. Or be like me and do not care about shortens as its reward for time spent on it is not as high as my time spent on other things.

4) Jab1 or jab2 -> grab is not legit on anyone. There is like a -6 frame delay or something like that. Solution to beating opponents jab to your jab cancel -> grab? You jab -> shield -> pause.... -> grab when appropriate (i.e. end of their jab stuff).

Alternative solution! (among others lol_)
Attempt jab cancel -> grab. Did you get the grab?
--Yes, proceed to grab flow chart.
--No, I got hit by jab1 -> jab2 -> rapid jab. Proceed to SDI behind them into aerial (Uair/Bair).

If you are still reading by now I shall explain my first piece of advice. Pretty much everything I just told you is about the extent any person on smashboards will be able to tell you stuff on going Pro. Even then some of the stuff you could probably figure out on your own if you are ambitious enough. Most all anyone can do for you is give you a good knowledge base on how stuff works like I did regarding some of that frame stuff to help clarify some better option selections. After a point no one will be able to tell you anything significant anymore and the rest is all about how you apply what you already know about. Which leads to complete self-study about this sort of thing.

Q&A thread is there for a reason.
Use it.
Falco boards Moderation died with Teran when he went "bbl" years ago.

Top Bottom