• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An analysis of what'd happen to Brawl with the top two banned.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I am by no means an expert at Brawl. But I am curious what'd happen to the tier list if the top two are banned. I will be basing this entirely on the matchup list.

Character's new matchup list

Totals/Avg.
:olimar: 50/+1.4
:diddy: 37/+1.0
:marth: 46/+1.3
:snake: 40/+1.1
:falco: 48/+1.3
:dedede: 41/+1.1
:fox: 15/+0.4
:gw: 25/+0.7
:pit:17/+0.4
:ganondorf: -89/-2.5 :troll:

I did the high tiers and anybody who I thought could have interesting changes. I'll do requests for characters, and if this gets enough interest, I'll do the rest and put this into a tier list of sorts.

First thing I noticed was how high Olimar is lol. Might have to redo the list with him gone too...

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
WTB Pikachu

Also, ICs don't need to be banned b/c of the stages you can reintroduce w/ MK gone.
But would people actually reintroduce those stages? Every stage banned "cuz MK" has had other reasons made to ban the stage so we don't "officially" ban them for MK :(

Osennecho

Smash Ace
But would people actually reintroduce those stages? Every stage banned "cuz MK" has had other reasons made to ban the stage so we don't "officially" ban them for MK :(
Which is the BS excuse. They should/would be unbanned imo. There's NOTHING wrong with RC for example. Nothing, literally nothing on that stage is random. It's a set pattern every-time. People are just too lazy to learn it/it really really really helps MK.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Being fair Cruise and Brinstar do favor certain characters pretty strongly, like polarizingly mute city in melee strong.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Which is the BS excuse. They should/would be unbanned imo. There's NOTHING wrong with RC for example. Nothing, literally nothing on that stage is random. It's a set pattern every-time. People are just too lazy to learn it/it really really really helps MK.
Being fair Cruise and Brinstar do favor certain characters pretty strongly, like polarizingly mute city in melee strong.
I have to agree with Red Ryu on that. Still, something like that could be cured by striking from the list of legal stages so those characters wouldn't really end up playing there.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Being fair Final Destination and Halberd do favor certain characters pretty strongly, like polarizingly mute city in melee strong.
^See what I did there? It goes that way for every single stage. That's why counter-picks and bans exist as Capps said. Obviously RC wouldn't be a neutral though. It's legal at all of the MK banned tournaments in the south I think. It's honestly a question of do I feel like learning the pattern, strengths, and weakness of this stage, or am I too lazy? Furthermore the characters it really helps are mostly worse characters and the one's it harms are the better ones.

Last edited:

tekkie

Smash Master
MK < (no one)
ICs < snake, TL, ROB
oli < ICs, falco
diddy < falco, snake, ICs

you could make a chart like that

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
^See what I did there? It goes that way for every single stage. That's why counter-picks and bans exist as Capps said. Obviously RC wouldn't be a neutral though. It's legal at all of the MK banned tournaments in the south I think. It's honestly a question of do I feel like learning the pattern, strengths, and weakness of this stage, or am I too lazy? Furthermore the characters it really helps are mostly worse characters and the one's it harms are the better ones.
It's not as bad as cruise and brinstar.

There is no problem with characters having good stages, not if it super polarizes MUs.

FD really doesn't do it to that degree and neither is Halberd. People will learn those stages down to a T if they are legal.

It's that when people learn it, certain characters will a lot harder.

Aidebit

Smash Journeyman
The matchup list isn't completely true at some points, I disagree with it a lot.

Also, the matchup list was made with an MK-Legal mindset, therefore, the strongest CP's against Olimar and IC's are banned.

But thanks, the data from this is quite interesting.

link2702

Smash Champion
you don't have to ban both.

all you have to do is ban metaknight, and go back to the old ruleset.

Ice climbers wouldn't do near as good as they do now if it wasn't for all the ridiculous stage list changes the community had to make to attempt to nerf metaknight and keep him legal, the changes had the unintentional side effect of buffing the ice climbers.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
If it was Melee cruise, I would agree.

Brawl Cruise however as an issue with them changing the donuts to solids allowing for easier gimping/free kills, a weird transitioning glitch with some characters( like the Wario Bike thing), and DeDeDe being able to infinite on the bridge.

Last edited:

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
RC gives way too much advantage to certain chars though, way past what FD could ever do. It doesn't matter if it helps the low tiers, because if it helps a low tier but still hurts other low tiers, what did you gain? You just made half the cast a garbage pick.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
RC gives way too much advantage to certain chars though, way past what FD could ever do. It doesn't matter if it helps the low tiers, because if it helps a low tier but still hurts other low tiers, what did you gain? You just made half the cast a garbage pick.
Except FD vs ICs and a few characters who become drastically better with platforms.... Also RC hardly nerfs half the cast. It nerfs way way way less than half the cast. If you actually think that I don't know what to say. You'd think it'd be bad for all tether characters right? Wrong. It's actually a really good stage for ZSS. You'd think it would nerf Ike right? Except it doesn't. Ryo for example loves that stage. He uses it to his advantage. Granted it nerfs ICs, Olimar, and a couple others, but they can just ban the stage. Also, it's called a counter-pick for a reason. Just because you are bad on a stage and don't want to learn it or the other stages cater to high tiers more doesn't mean a different stage is bad. You simply need to change your play style to fit the stage in the same way you have to change your play style for certain match ups like when playing against ICs.

Also, I'm inclined to agree with Lord regarding the "donuts," but I disagree with Wario's bike and DDD's infinite being an issue. I mean you can infinite with DDD on parts of PKS depending on the transformation already and the only reason it might be a problem regarding Wario is it'd be a strong stage for him already. Considering none of the other stages really favor Wario though I'd just ban this one and play Marth vs him like I normally would. GG GR to reverse tipper.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Granted it nerfs Olimar but they can just ban the stage.
It really doesn't nerf Olimar that much, if at all, unless against Mk but that goes for any character going against MK on RC basically. It's really more of an even stage from what I have been able to see it be played on when Olimars got taken there when it was legal.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
You aren't supposed to ban stages unless they are broken anyways, I think RC would just legal unless someone here can prove it's actually a broken stage even if it makes some fights harder.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
What constitutes a broken stage then?
To me, I'd take a look at Sirlin (but I bet you've read it before) and see how he discusses what must be banned. Honestly skewing some matchups isn't enough, hard data showing it causes serious inconsistencies in results would. The latter doesn't exist to my knowledge, and when such data was being painstakingly taken you'll see Smashville actually had a higher MK win rate then RC and Brinstar. Odd right?

Top Bottom