• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Amount of Play Time for Smash-Fest? Set Ups?

GiantBoyDetective

Smash Cadet
Does anyone have any guesses as to how it will work and how much time each person will get to play? I'm assuming it's going to be something devastating like a three minute match with three other people and then you'll have to go to the back of the line.

I missed out on playing Mario Kart 8 and other upcoming titles at the 2013 E3 Best Buy extravaganza. Those who attended last year can you answer these burning :006: questions?

Were there multiple TV's set up?
How long did you get to play each title?
Were the lines ridiculously long?

Sorry if this is already a thread. Just trying to prepare myself for this.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
From what I could recall, only one Wii U system was set up for E3 2013, likely because of the fact that the Wii U uses wireless controllers. E3 2014 will probably be the same way, since we did get multiple reports of wireless controllers being a terrible option for competitive matches.

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
probably get like 15 mins, than if you want go to the back of the line and play another 15 mins when it is your turn, if so I will play until the demo ends.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
A friend of mine went to the Mario Kart 8 demo last year and got to play a lot, but he said there weren't very many people there. The Best Buy near us is in an odd location, and I don't think the demos were publicized as well either. So, I don't think this will be a very representative example.

I would say, go Wednesday if you can because there will likely be less people there on a weekday, thus maximizing your chances to play (obviously gong both days would really give you more time to play).

GiantBoyDetective

Smash Cadet
probably get like 15 mins, than if you want go to the back of the line and play another 15 mins when it is your turn, if so I will play until the demo ends.
15 minutes is waaaaaaaaay too long. That means for every 16 people in line you're waiting an hour, assuming there is only one TV. I'd say 5 minutes max. I'd love 15, but don't see it happening.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing it will be time matches, probably in the 3 minute range or so to keep things moving. Hopefully there will be multiple systems running, but I'm not counting on it.

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
15 minutes is waaaaaaaaay too long. That means for every 16 people in line you're waiting an hour, assuming there is only one TV. I'd say 5 minutes max. I'd love 15, but don't see it happening.
They know many people will be driving for hours, do you really think they will give you less? There will probably be like 15 TVs, have you ever been to best buy?
And it probably depends on how many people are there, I know my Best Buy will only have like 5 people there, nobody even know there is about to be a new smash game in my town

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
They know many people will be driving for hours, do you really think they will give you less? There will probably be like 15 TVs, have you ever been to best buy?
And it probably depends on how many people are there, I know my Best Buy will only have like 5 people there, nobody even know there is about to be a new smash game in my town
I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment, sparky.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
last year, for SM3DW, DKCTF, MK8, and tLoZ: tWW HD, there was only 1 set-up and people took turns on that one set-up. It wasn't timed as in a Nintendo employee stood there with a stop-watch. The time limit was you get to play one level and either you beat it or you don't, then you got off.

I imagine it's going to be a 4 player ffa with a 2-minute timer, then it's time to get off.

GiantBoyDetective

Smash Cadet
Last year each Best Buy only had one TV set up. they're not going to send a ton of Smash demos to each Best Buy. there's a very good chince there will only be one.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Last year each Best Buy only had one TV set up. they're not going to send a ton of Smash demos to each Best Buy. there's a very good chince there will only be one.
Pretty much this, if it means avoiding wireless controller problems. Why else would the Brawl competitive scene only use GameCube controllers?

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I know that last year, it was so crowded on Wednesday that they ran out of spots and had to start scheduling people for Saturday. That was after extending the event to store closing time. So part of me doubts getting more than one shot at the demo.

On the other hand, there's only one game this time and they can have up to four players each match and a 2 minute timeframe. So hopefully it runs more smoothly and there's a chance to play multiple times. I'd go in expecting only the one shot to prevent disappointment.

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
I went to a Best Buy last year and got to do a 5 min Mario Kart race after about a 40 min line (One station setup). I'm not sure if there are less Best Buy locations than last year but it seems that way because I have no real Best Buys close to me this time. So I'd assume the lines will be much longer this time.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Hoping they setup a few stations. Cant wait to try the gameand record some footage for a good old fashioned gameplay analysis

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Perhaps there could be multiple stations if they make use of the GC controller adapter. Frankly that would be good advertisement as well.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Perhaps there could be multiple stations if they make use of the GC controller adapter. Frankly that would be good advertisement as well.
Hopefully after all the hype of the, announcing it. I would hate to use wii mote n nunchucks or the gamepad

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Best Buy Canada rep says there will be one setup like last year. Also, Wii U Pro Controllers will be used. I'm hoping that's changed given the whole GC controller adapter announcement, but I doubt it.

If I had to guess, the demo will probably be 4 player free for all, 2 minute timed match with items on medium. At least the line should move quickly with that ruleset.

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
Someone should copy the installed data into a usb and find a way to play it back on another Wii u

Top Bottom