• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amiibos Crossovers!(Confirme???)

Still want Amiibos?

• Yes

Votes: 63 86.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Thinking About?

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters

Malion

Smash Ace
I'm going to laugh if the Mario Kart Amiibos just give you CPU drivers you can train.

Yo Luigi you gotta look mean here and take this ramp mmkay? This is going to be sweet.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The Smash Bros Amiibos will be usable with other games. The Smash themed ones will be the first to arrive, but they will have variants of the same character, depending on your tastes.

For those unaware, Skylanders actually has multiple variants of the same character. So this isn't unusual.

These two figures of these two characters are functionally the same and work across all games in the Skylanders series. The latter figure in each case was just an updated, alternative model. Unless you are a collector, you have no need to buy Series 2 figures if you have Series 1 figures, as the character contained has identical moves, elemental effects, upgrade trees, and so on. And since the Skylanders games are all so similar, you can carry stats across all games in the series with just one toy of the one character.

While Spyro himself (the top character) has other variants that are functionally different (Dark Spyro, Legendary Spyro, Mega Ram Spyro), the ones pictured above are just different models for regular Spyro.

There are also special variants such as Chrome Spyro, which is functionally the same as the other two Spyro figures I just posted pictures of, and shares a pose, but it's simply a rare collector's version:

So yes, the Smash Amiibos will likely work across other games, like Mario Kart, depending on the figure, but they will likely make variants like with Skylanders. For example, the Smash Mario Amiibo is going to work with Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Mario Party 10. But they will likely make a different model based off of Mario Kart 8, and Mario Party 10, for people who might prefer the more bubbly feeling of those ones, or maybe the Mario Kart version will have him in a kart.

Another benefit of this is preventing mix-ups - for example, let's say you and I both play Smash, and we both main Mario. And we both want to train a Mario Amiibo in Smash. Well, if we were frequently bringing our Amiibos to each other's houses, we might mix them up if they were both the Smash model, and I might take yours by mistake. Yeah, you could put a sticker on it or something to label it as yours, but that ruins the immersive look of the figure. So instead, when we both buy our Mario Amiibos, one of us buys the Smash model, the other buys the Mario Kart model. Both models are compatible with both games, it's simply a matter of preference that decides which one you get.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
You know, this potentially means that R.O.B. could be in Mario Kart again.
That means he not gonna get cut! That just expectations but...

R.O.B. He was a toy with a function that sadly was sucky but most people use R.O.B. as a figure model. Making R.O.B. Amiibo can bring back R.O.B. to its glory NES days. A toy that he have a function but is your a colletor you can only using as a figure model.
NES version or Famicon version??? Two R.O.B. Amiibos in diferent version! That would be crazy! Think the possibility! I LOVE R.O.B. IN SMASH (Just expecting.)

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Have any of you thought about getting your amiibos professionally painted? My favorite color of Kirby for example is not pink. I might get my Kirby amiibo painted to appear black and white.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Which is why a lot of people think that the Marth Amiibo isn't going to be worth it.
SMTxFE says hi. There are many characters in worse shape than Marth in that respect(Mother kids, Capt. Falcon, Megaman, ICs, G&W, etc.).

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Have any of you thought about getting your amiibos professionally painted? My favorite color of Kirby for example is not pink. I might get my Kirby amiibo painted to appear black and white.
My Yoshi OC/Main is light blue, so I might do that. Assuming we can set the Figure Player's costume to match.

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
I suppose some characters like DIddy, Kirby, Captain Falcon, R.O.B., etc will be playable in Mario Kart 8 with the amiibos. Just not every smash character, but some

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I suppose some characters like DIddy, Kirby, Captain Falcon, R.O.B., etc will be playable in Mario Kart 8 with the amiibos. Just not every smash character, but some
R.O.B. seems the most plausible there, due to being a veteran in that series from MKDS. Next is Diddy Kong, since Funky appeared in MKWii. After that, CF, since his vehicle appeared in the same game and there was an MK crossover course in F-Zero X.

I understand the reasoning behind Kirby, but I'm just not seeing him.

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
R.O.B. seems the most plausible there, due to being a veteran in that series from MKDS. Next is Diddy Kong, since Funky appeared in MKWii. After that, CF, since his vehicle appeared in the same game and there was an MK crossover course in F-Zero X.

Well after Rosalina's trailer a lot of people want him... maybe in the next direct the talk about amiibos in MK8

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

I think Diddy is more likely since he's been in twice as many Mario Kart games. I don't even know how ROB could be possible in Mario Kart 8 with atvs and bikes.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
They better have Luigi's ridin' dirty face if they make an amiibo for him for Mario Kart 8.

I would absolutely love Smash-Kart, by the way.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Hey guys, do your research before blinding shooting down a Smash-style roster for Mario Kart.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/27/5754590/mario-kart-future-rosters-super-smash-bros

Guys, they're not going to have Smash charatcers in Mario Kart. That makes literally no sense.
Especially you. From a marketing standpoint, crossovers fare better than not, and Mario Kart recently took a wrong direction with the Koopa Kids, Pink Metal Peach, and BABIES, over the removed original characters the majority of fans actually wanted. It makes more sense than not to.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Especially you. From a marketing standpoint, crossovers fare better than not, and Mario Kart recently took a wrong direction with the Koopa Kids, Pink Metal Peach, and BABIES, over the removed original characters the majority of fans actually wanted. It makes more sense than not to.
You just proved my point. They put in metal characters and babies in over actually requested characters. Pink Gold Peach makes NO sense. They put in characters that make no sense over those that make any. Nintendo is known to go agaist conventional thinking; this wouldn't be nearly the last example.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
You just proved my point. They put in metal characters and babies in over actually requested characters. Pink Gold Peach makes NO sense. They put in characters that make no sense over those that make any. Nintendo is known to go against conventional thinking; this wouldn't be nearly the last example.
I know this off topic but part of it. Nintendo do really make a horrible choice in the new characters in Mario Kart 8, I okay with Koopalings their all cool. but the BABIES,metal Mario and gold Peach make no sense. even Dry Bowser look BADASS or even Funky Kong. At least we got Shy guy(is my favorite one). I hope these Amiibos put great use in Mario Kart 8 giving a new karts part, course Map, Battle Arena or even New character. I want Amiibos as DLC to sharpen the game is we can crossover it.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I know this off topic but part of it. Nintendo do really make a horrible choice in the new characters in Mario Kart 8, I okay with Koopalings their all cool. but the BABIES,metal Mario and gold Peach make no sense. even Dry Bowser look BADASS or even Funky Kong. At least we got Shy guy(is my favorite one). I hope these Amiibos put great use in Mario Kart 8 giving a new karts part, course Map, Battle Arena or even New character. I want Amiibos as DLC to sharpen the game is we can crossover it.
As a Super Smash Bros. fan, I can forgive Metal Mario, personally, because he's already an individual character and established villain, but not the others.

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
I think every single Amiibo will have some sort of connection with the game that accepts amiibos. Event Marth Amiibo in Mario Kart 8.

The problem here is we thinking that they may bring a lot of new stuff into the game, but they may not, even if it is only for the sake of saying that "this amiibo work in this game because it accepts amiibo"

Let me give a example: Maybe Marth amiibo only give you a super hard ghost data in a specific course with a name like NIN:starman:Marth.

You see, maybe less related amiibos will give stuff for us in the game, but maybe not in the depth we may be expecting.

That and if Marth becames playable in Mario Kart, I'll eat my shoe.

Xigger

Smash Lord
You just proved my point. They put in metal characters and babies in over actually requested characters. Pink Gold Peach makes NO sense. They put in characters that make no sense over those that make any. Nintendo is known to go agaist conventional thinking; this wouldn't be nearly the last example.
Your point was "they're not going to have Smash charatcers in Mario Kart. That makes literally no sense." I don't know your correlation between Mario Kart's recent roster versus a Smash-style Mario kart roster, but whatevs.

I think every single Amiibo will have some sort of connection with the game that accepts amiibos. Event Marth Amiibo in Mario Kart 8.

The problem here is we thinking that they may bring a lot of new stuff into the game, but they may not, even if it is only for the sake of saying that "this amiibo work in this game because it accepts amiibo"

Let me give a example: Maybe Marth amiibo only give you a super hard ghost data in a specific course with a name like NIN:starman:Marth.

You see, maybe less related amiibos will give stuff for us in the game, but maybe not in the depth we may be expecting.

That and if Marth becames playable in Mario Kart, I'll eat my shoe.
I wouldn't think that unrelated amiibos would be compatible at all. At the least, I would never expect a new Mario Kart course to come from a Marth amiibo.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I can see them as buying one or more characters from Series A (the first ten for example) will:

Unlock course /kart/ part X in Mario kart 8
Unlock course X in toads game
Unlock super item in yoshi

Then series B (the next 10) will:

Unlock x character in Mario kart 8

Etc etc.

I can't see ALL the characters in smash in Mario kart, that wouldn't be fair to the characters the developed for the game.

But with something like this, buying a character still has an influence, and will get people to at LEAST buy one per series or something.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I just realized that Pac-Man's a Mario Kart veteran.

This is from the Japan-Only Arcade GP. So if the Amiibos do in fact bring missing MK characters back, it's possible (not likely, but possible) his would work, too.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
So, the amiibo's contain two types of data.

Name Data
For example, the smash Mario, kart Mario, and party Mario are recognized by the games as, "Mario".

Smash Data
The rest of the memory inside the figures is devoted to the AI training in smash bros. Instead of saving this data to the console or an SD card they invented these figures to make sh#@ tons of money.

What is still unclear to me, is if the Mario Kart figures and Mario Party figures will also contain space for Smash data, or if they'll have the rest of their memory reserved for Mario Kart data, or Mario Party data. It pisses me off that Sakurai chose to, or was forced to, promote these figures when the data could be easily saved to an SD card. And, the figures for games like Mario Party and Mario Kart will only be useful for unlocking data thats already on the disc, if they are gonna add anything to Mario Kart it'll have to be DLC. So why can't ya just download it and play it? You'll have to download it, then verify your right to download it by verifying that you have the figure. I hope they don't end up being a requirement to unlock content like levels in captain toad.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

Name Data
For example, the smash Mario, kart Mario, and party Mario are recognized by the games as, "Mario".

Smash Data
The rest of the memory inside the figures is devoted to the AI training in smash bros. Instead of saving this data to the console or an SD card they invented these figures to make sh#@ tons of money.

What is still unclear to me, is if the Mario Kart figures and Mario Party figures will also contain space for Smash data, or if they'll have the rest of their memory reserved for Mario Kart data, or Mario Party data. It pisses me off that Sakurai chose to, or was forced to, promote these figures when the data could be easily saved to an SD card. And, the figures for games like Mario Party and Mario Kart will only be useful for unlocking data thats already on the disc, if they are gonna add anything to Mario Kart it'll have to be DLC. So why can't ya just download it and play it? You'll have to download it, then verify your right to download it by verifying that you have the figure. I hope they don't end up being a requirement to unlock content like levels in captain toad.
They already made it perfectly clear that one figure can be used for multiple games. That was one of the first things they confirmed.

But yeah, I'm against the DLC aspect... Unless it's also available otherwise and getting it for free is a bonus for having the figure.

For example: Say R.O.B. is added as MK8 DLC on the eShop. He'd be $5 or so if you bought him there. But if you activate R.O.B.'s Amiibo, it triggers an automatic free download as thanks.

Last edited:

Malex

Smash Apprentice

Name Data

Smash Data

There may be a unique IDs for each specific amiibo, but I suspect that each will refer to the character they represent. So, all Marios will be recognized as Mario, all Luigis will be Luigi, and so on.

Other than that, each amiibo will have onboard memory that will hold data tied to specific games. For smash, this would be custom move sets, equipment, special effects, and the AI log. This is a pretty small amount of information. You will probably be able to play your amiibo on every possible game and not take up however much space they putting on them. I base this on the fact that 512 MB flash cards / USBs are treated like garbage and you cannot even give them away. (What am I going to do with this? Put 1 episode of GOT on it?)

99% of the stuff that Amiibos do is handled by the game you're playing. It only needs whatever small custom information is required to use the features of the game. For Mario Kart? You probably only need the character ID. It'll load it into a kart and generate the stats for that character. Boom, new characters from Amiibo. Do I expect DLC? Probably. It is the face of the new market. I also think that Amiibos can cover a lot of the costs that can be included in patches.

So, ultimately, it's a mixed bag. While I dislike the toy/game thing, I cannot argue that it is brilliant marketing and a huge money maker. If it is successful, I think we will see more content for our games without DLCs. We'll see DLCs too, it's a business after all, but the DLC will impact the game on a larger scale.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
From what I can tell, yeah, there's different flavors of the same kind of Amiibo. If you don't like a Smash flavored-Mario Amiibo, then you can use the Mario Galaxy 3 (pls) Mario Amiibo for the same stuff, etc. It feels like a one-time-purchase DLC for multiple games to me, which sounds pretty sweet.

Though clearly we won't be getting Pikachu in Mario Kart 8, though that'd make that game feel a bit less empty...

In regards to Smash, I think the AI fighter is just unnecessary. Would have been willing for it just to save your presets for that character so you can use it on other Wii U's / 3DS's.

"Wanna play Smash Bros?"
"Yeah man, let me just set up my custom moves for a bit then we can do it"

vs

"Wanna play Smash Bros?"
"Pppssh, yeah man, let me grab my trophy case and we'll get going asap"

Second part sounds pretty legit imo

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
From what I can tell, yeah, there's different flavors of the same kind of Amiibo. If you don't like a Smash flavored-Mario Amiibo, then you can use the Mario Galaxy 3 (pls) Mario Amiibo for the same stuff, etc. It feels like a one-time-purchase DLC for multiple games to me, which sounds pretty sweet.

Though clearly we won't be getting Pikachu in Mario Kart 8, though that'd make that game feel a bit less empty...

In regards to Smash, I think the AI fighter is just unnecessary. Would have been willing for it just to save your presets for that character so you can use it on other Wii U's / 3DS's.

"Wanna play Smash Bros?"
"Yeah man, let me just set up my custom moves for a bit then we can do it"

vs

"Wanna play Smash Bros?"
"Pppssh, yeah man, let me grab my trophy case and we'll get going asap"

Second part sounds pretty legit imo
Uneseccary? It'll be the only and best training tool I've got. I'm grateful for it.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Uneseccary? It'll be the only and best training tool I've got. I'm grateful for it.
Sure but did it need to be the Amiibo's purpose? They could have just integrated it into the game. Why would you ever bring it places?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Sure but did it need to be the Amiibo's purpose? They could have just integrated it into the game. Why would you ever bring it places?
Because you'll look like a total boss going over to your friend's house with a black case, opening it to reveal your custom-painted Dark Link amiibo. And then promptly whooping him and his Villager amiibo.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Come to think of it... Mr. Game and Watch in Mario Kart would be the weirdest ****ing thing...

Maybe they'll animate him like the characters in Super Mario Kart, having a frame for every angle you're looking at him from.

Wait... How are they going to make Mr. Game and Watch's Amiibo figure anyway?

Either way, I don't care that much about cross-compatibility too much since Smash is gonna be like the only Wii U game I own (and care to play.)

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
They could be sold in alternate colors... We'll just have to wait and see though.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Oh **** I just realized.

A Metal Mario Amiibo is entirely possible thanks to MK8.

Do you think it would be compatible with Smash due to Metal Mario being technically playable, or not due to the power/MK8 MM being a separate being?

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Man I love all this post, There lot of insanity, choices and many expectations.
There really love how many Mario Kart reference here, that would be great but there not confirmed yet that smash bros amiibos are use in Mario Kart Yet.
In my idea of good use for Smash Bros Amiibos is to make a Smash bros RPG. Ideas like Powers, Defense, Offensive, Stats, Weapon of Choice or Deep Customizable moves. Think the possibility of Kirby, Mario and Pit joining Link force to save hHrule from Ganondorf and many other crossover enemy like Bowser. That too many fan-service.

Look like there gonna show a more amiibos in San Diego Comic-Con! (Sadly I cannot go there, Cry front of the computer watching images of the amiibos inside in glass box...)

Top Bottom