• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

amiibo Raising

Xaessya

Smash Rookie
I got 3 amiibo's from Toys R' US since they were having a sale on them I got :4samus::4peach::4pikachu:

I was wondering from anyone else who got these, is there any special/specific I should do while leveling them to make them better fighters like using the same character as the amiibo against them so they learn from you, or fight them with characters your good with and they learn that way? Or both?

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not much of a sale really. From what I understand you only save about $1 compared to Amazon and you aren't forced to buy 3 there. You can buy any number you want and still get a good price online. So it's almost not even worth the gas money and time going to Toys'R'Us unless they're like a block away from your house or something.

Xaessya

Smash Rookie
The total for the 3 amiibo was $31 at Toys R' Us (also it not being far away helps :p) on Amazon it would be $38 for 3 and thats with free shipping that would take over 5 days to arrive, if you wanted it sooner then you would have to pay extra. Also I wanted to buy at least 3 amiibo even before they announce their sale.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
The total for the 3 amiibo was $31 at Toys R' Us (also it not being far away helps :p) on Amazon it would be $38 for 3 and thats with free shipping that would take over 5 days to arrive, if you wanted it sooner then you would have to pay extra. Also I wanted to buy at least 3 amiibo even before they announce their sale.
Amazon Prime's free shipping is 2 days. Who doesn't have Amazon Prime?! Especially if you're a student you should get it free.

Last edited:

Xaessya

Smash Rookie
Amazon Prime's free shipping is 2 days. Who doesn't have Amazon Prime?! Especially if you're a student you should get it free.
I don't have it so I didn't count it DX
But yes, going Amazon Prime would be better :p

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Well I have my Fox amiibo since yesterday it's a level 42 and has gone against about all fighters except Rob and game and watch (I haven't unlocked them) and it beats my ads pretty well so I would recommend just to put it against other characters.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
Xaessya
Smash Rookie
Male, 22
Darn these confusing display pics!

As to the actual topic...what ghastmine said. I don't have the game, but I remember reading/hearing that pitting your amiibo against computer characters makes them level up more quickly than fighting them yourself. As for making them learn, though, I'm afraid I have no idea.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
AAH Amiibo cost here ~15 € =18,5856 US-Dollar

Help! Is somebody from Europe and knows where to buy Amiibo a tad more cheap?

(Sorry for hijacking that thread, but you have quite a cheap price for them)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Darn these confusing display pics!

As to the actual topic...what ghastmine said. I don't have the game, but I remember reading/hearing that pitting your amiibo against computer characters makes them level up more quickly than fighting them yourself. As for making them learn, though, I'm afraid I have no idea.
Leveling up your amiibos with CPUs rather than by yourself will make them inferior. Jwittz tested this out, and his self-trained amiibo owned the CPU-trained amiibo.

Also it only makes sense that if you want to optimize your amiibo's skill, you should fight it with the same character, or one with similar playstyle.

if you try to teach a Ganon amiibo with a Jigglypuff, it would pick up habits that you can do with Jiggs that you just can't do with Ganon.

And reverse wise, if you try to teach a Jiggs amiibo with Ganon, it'd try to choke everything with pound.

Or so goes my understanding, but it seems the Nintendo people actually did state that they get even better if you train them with the same fighter.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
Leveling up your amiibos with CPUs rather than by yourself will make them inferior. Jwittz tested this out, and his self-trained amiibo owned the CPU-trained amiibo.

Also it only makes sense that if you want to optimize your amiibo's skill, you should fight it with the same character, or one with similar playstyle.

if you try to teach a Ganon amiibo with a Jigglypuff, it would pick up habits that you can do with Jiggs that you just can't do with Ganon.

And reverse wise, if you try to teach a Jiggs amiibo with Ganon, it'd try to choke everything with pound.

Or so goes my understanding, but it seems the Nintendo people actually did state that they get even better if you train them with the same fighter.
Oh, I see. This all sounds awesome. Is there an experience cap for amiibo, or can you keep teaching them if they happen to pick up the wrong style?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Oh, I see. This all sounds awesome. Is there an experience cap for amiibo, or can you keep teaching them if they happen to pick up the wrong style?
They will stop leveling up at level 50.

But they will still learn past that.

If you have more than 2, I'd always suggest lettin them go at it on 1v1s sometimes to see how your training is going for both of them.

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
You can always erase your amiibos data and try again if you are not satisfied.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman

I'm extremely skeptical that there's any imitation learning going on at all, given the time such algorithms generally take, the lack of machine learning algos in video games, the fact that it would only work well if you were playing as the same character, and the super-limited storage capacity of NFC chips.

Kozmiic27

Smash Apprentice
I got 3 amiibo's from Toys R' US since they were having a sale on them I got :4samus::4peach::4pikachu:

I was wondering from anyone else who got these, is there any special/specific I should do while leveling them to make them better fighters like using the same character as the amiibo against them so they learn from you, or fight them with characters your good with and they learn that way? Or both?
With pikachu I know if u play pika chu against him and spam ur aerial specials and tilts then hell turn into a beast

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'm extremely skeptical that there's any imitation learning going on at all, given the time such algorithms generally take, the lack of machine learning algos in video games, the fact that it would only work well if you were playing as the same character, and the super-limited storage capacity of NFC chips.
Supposedly they just watch you and imitate, no matter the character. (though of course, as I mentioned, using the same character is better for parallel strategies)

Also a lot of people say their amiibos' playstyle reminds them of theirs.

Last edited:

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Supposedly they just watch you and imitate, no matter the character. (though of course, as I mentioned, using the same character is better for parallel strategies)

Also a lot of people say their amiibos' playstyle reminds them of theirs.
Pretty sure that's the placebo effect in action. I've been playing against my link in a very specific way, basically just shielding all the time or using down-b as kirby, and the link amiibo is not showing any signs of replicating my behaviour. It's playing like a completely normal CPU. Pretty sure we can rule out supervised/imitation learning, unless it only turns on when you play as the same character. Which I doubt, but I'll test that out anyway.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
The way Amiibo seem to work is that they don't necessarily imitate everythingyou do. They imitate what is effective at killing them and improve on it. They seem to be very reactive like that.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It'd make sense if they didn't just 'spam' what you do, but rather, after they watch you do something that proves effective, they imitate it when they feel itd be effective.

Regardless, they can own level 9s, so whatever theyre doin is workin XD

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
For some reason, my Link came up with the bad habit of spamming UpB. And I rarely use UpB, unless it is to recover.

My Samus had a nasty habit of firing her charge shots in the air, so I had to play as Samus myself to make them stop doing that frequently. I swear to god, every amino does some odd thing on purpose.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
The way Amiibo seem to work is that they don't necessarily imitate everythingyou do. They imitate what is effective at killing them and improve on it. They seem to be very reactive like that.
From a machine learning perspective that would be completely bizarre. If it was going through the trouble of evaluating actions as successful or unsuccessful, they would just use regular reinforcement learning with no imitation, which would be more effective and also wouldn't have the problem of them learning inapplicable things from people playing as other characters.

I've been training my samus amiibo by doing nothing but short-hop zair. So far, she hasn't done it once. She's playing like a normal AI. As of now I feel pretty safe saying there's no supervised/imitation learning going on, at all.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
I think they imitate playstyles, but not techniques.
What exactly does that mean?

In terms of implementation, how exactly would you make an algorithm that learned a playstyle WITHOUT learning the player's techniques? Supervised learning usually works by generalizing about how the player's likely to do "action A in game state XYZ." If these are detailed enough in terms of game state and are formed based on tons of observations, you might wind up with a halfway-decent approximation of a human. That's definitely not happening with amiibos, and the NFC chips in them wouldn't have nearly enough room to store that kind of AI in any case.

I think the most that could possibly be going on would be a couple of variables governing very general behaviors, like likelihoods for shielding, rolling, grabbing, etc. But I've seen no evidence for these at all. I tried to train my link amiibo as a grabber, by doing nothing but shielding all the time. If there were supervised learning, he'd be shielding a lot; if there were reinforcement learning, he'd be grabbing a lot. But he didn't seem to be doing either of those things more than usual for an AI. My Samus experiments likewise showed no evidence of learning.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
I just play against them as whatever. They already kick my ass lol

daguyontheladder

Smash Cadet
NNID
daguyontheladder
3DS FC
5284-2773-0878
I have a Mario amiibo and fought him with Mario(my off main). I used flood constantly when he was recovering and he never picked how to do it. he charges it mid battle but never uses it. on the flip side, I never meteor smashed him yet he learned how to do that, and quite effectively I might add. to me it seems that a level 50 amiibo is just a level 10 cpu.

I have no idea how to make the most out of this guy or if you can even do so. when fighting him as my main sonic sometimes he's invincible other times he leaves a bunch of openings. he lunges strait at me to grab, which is great against sonic, but also gets hit by projectiles when im pacman.

I've read that amiibos learn from example or either by doing the opposite. im so confused...

I plan to reset-ing him, can anyone provide me tips or a guide of somesort?

Last edited:

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
^I don't think there are any tips to be offered, since I don't believe they learn at all. On the off chance they do, nobody understands the process well enough to give advice.

One level 50 mario is probably the same as another in terms of AI. Unless you're resetting to redistribute his equipment stats?

daguyontheladder

Smash Cadet
NNID
daguyontheladder
3DS FC
5284-2773-0878
^I don't think there are any tips to be offered, since I don't believe they learn at all. On the off chance they do, nobody understands the process well enough to give advice.

One level 50 mario is probably the same as another in terms of AI. Unless you're resetting to redistribute his equipment stats?
his stats are currently ballenced, all catagories are +5. I want to feed him all my equipment but im scared that this will make him impossible to beat as I want him to be a training partner of somesorts.

on a side note, does altering his stats with equipment affects him in "off custom" matches?

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
After doing my own testing I can be pretty sure that my amiibo will only replicate what you do right, not what you do wrong. It will not imitate missed grabs, SDs, and so on. I actually think it's not based upon actual imitation though, and instead it just notices the effectiveness or failure of certain tactics in certain situations, and it records the success or failure rate not only of its own moves but yours as well. Then it simply chooses what seems to be the most effective tactics for the given situation and goes with it

This comes off looking like it's imitating you, and in a way it is, but that's more of a side effect of its learning method. It's less "use whatever you see" and more "Use what you see that works". This method is a lot easier to code than doing a full playstyle analysis of a real human player, and can be done in real time.

EDIT:

For example, I tried to mirror match my Link amiibo in order to teach it some tricks it hasn't learned yet. I tried using short-hopped Dairs, bombs, and Uairs. It wasn't hardly using these moves at all before this round. By the end of the round, it started using bombs (because I was using them effectively), and it occasionally mimicked the Uair (which I was only sometimes good at), and it never mimicked the sh-dairs (which I almost never landed).

So again it only picks up tricks that actually work.

I would also note that this algorithm seems to have some bugs in it, because at one point in Skyloft I got caught in a waterfall, tried to recover, eventually failed and SD'd. Right after I did that the amiibo jumped right into that same waterfall, for no apparent reason, and fell to its death. I'm not sure why that happened if it's only supposed to learn from my victories and not my failures. Maybe it erroneously registered as a success for it since I lost a stock? I really have no idea.

I think there's several things going on here. If you take a blank amiibo into a 1v1 and just stand still, the amiibo will just start walking around and try things. If you try to run from it, it'll chase you down. I highly suspect that the amiibo runs its own experiments to see what does and does not work.

I also suspect that amiibo also has some pre-scripted experiments, such as Link suddenly deciding to projectile spam at a certain amiibo level. These are probably things that Nintendo thinks is effective and wants the amiibo to at least try them out. I don't know if other amiibos start using specials at certain levels or not, as I only have the one.

So this brings me to think that the following things are happening all at once:

A) The amiibo is watching you to see what you're doing right, and judging your tactics according to things like whether or not you landed the hit, did damage, successfully avoided something, scored a KO, lost a stock, etc.
B) The amiibo is experimenting on its own to see if it can find more effective methods, judging each new thing by the same criteria as in A.
C) The amiibo is using moves that it knows have been effective in the past. In fact it'll probably keep doing this until the move no longer proves effective.
D) The amiibo has pre-scripted behaviors that are unlocked at certain levels, and then tested for effectiveness. This includes special usage, responding to shields with grabs, etc. Eventually the amiibo's own experience will overwrite these.

I will have to say that as my Amiibo tries new tactics and I find new ways around his moves, he starts to seem lost. He no longer really seems to know what he's doing, whereas he used to at one point before.

It might be interesting to purposefully lose to a certain tactic over and over just to see what the amiibo does. Will it just keep spamming that tactic? That would probably be all the info I need to confirm several of my hypotheses. EDIT2: Almost confirmed. I made sure to lose to his bow and boomerang while also punishing every melee move. Eventually he started using his bow more and more. Need more experiments to make sure, but so far the amiibo's behavior is pretty consistent with the kind of model I think it has.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
So Ive currently done two 20-stock matches with my first (and freshly out of the box) Marth amiibo.

So here's how I see it. Amiibos, like Pokemon, come with their own learn..style, per se, that is aligned to fit the character they play.

HOWEVER, you can basically ERASE its bad habits, and replace it with anything you teach it.

Anything it finds effective, as the previous post said, it WILL use.

Also it DOES seem to, not match your playstyle, but rather, take what's best from it and adapt it.

1. I don't grab often at all. My amiibo used to, now it doesn't. (cept maybe twice a match)
2. It used to recover very high. I kept punishing it, and I always recovered low, and now its impossible to gimp the ******* because he has no fear of low recovery.

He has even started to edgeguard me better.

I think they not only absorb your playstyle, but also analyze it to be able to effectively counter it.

Last edited:

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
After doing my own testing I can be pretty sure that my amiibo will only replicate what you do right, not what you do wrong. It will not imitate missed grabs, SDs, and so on. I actually think it's not based upon actual imitation though, and instead it just notices the effectiveness or failure of certain tactics in certain situations, and it records the success or failure rate not only of its own moves but yours as well. Then it simply chooses what seems to be the most effective tactics for the given situation and goes with it
The problem with your and Darklin401's observations is that you're not adequately controlling for the fact that, as amiibos level up, their behavior will naturally change from that of a lv.1 AI to a lv.9 AI. Or something similar. The reason they start playing smarter is because they're switching to a superior set of pre-defined scripts. Even inside those pre-defined scripts, there's a great deal of randomness, which would explain why the AI sometimes does one thing and not another. It also explains why it's so easy for people to see patterns in the noise.

This comes off looking like it's imitating you, and in a way it is, but that's more of a side effect of its learning method. It's less "use whatever you see" and more "Use what you see that works". This method is a lot easier to code than doing a full playstyle analysis of a real human player, and can be done in real time.
That's not true at all. They're the same thing, except that the latter additionally involves code to evaluate the success or failure of actions. And like I said, if they had that code, it would be way smarter for them to just use regular old reinforcement learning.

I would also note that this algorithm seems to have some bugs in it, because at one point in Skyloft I got caught in a waterfall, tried to recover, eventually failed and SD'd. Right after I did that the amiibo jumped right into that same waterfall, for no apparent reason, and fell to its death. I'm not sure why that happened if it's only supposed to learn from my victories and not my failures. Maybe it erroneously registered as a success for it since I lost a stock? I really have no idea.
Dude. No. That was not learning, or the amiibo imitating you. That was the AI being ********. Supervised learning methods take dozens of repetitions AT BEST to learn something. Hundreds is usually more realistic. It's absolutely not going to copy you after you do something once. What kind of genius computer scientists do you think Nintendo or Bamco employs? That wasn't learning, that was you seeing Jesus in a jar of mayonnaise. It's just random noise.

I think there's several things going on here. If you take a blank amiibo into a 1v1 and just stand still, the amiibo will just start walking around and try things. If you try to run from it, it'll chase you down. I highly suspect that the amiibo runs its own experiments to see what does and does not work.
Pretty sure that's just the level 1 CPU being stupid.

I also suspect that amiibo also has some pre-scripted experiments, such as Link suddenly deciding to projectile spam at a certain amiibo level. These are probably things that Nintendo thinks is effective and wants the amiibo to at least try them out. I don't know if other amiibos start using specials at certain levels or not, as I only have the one.
If this observation's actually legit, as opposed to more randomness, the more likely explanation would be that the amiibo switched from a level 3 CPU to a level 4 one (for example), and they have different scripts for projectile use. If there WERE reinforcement learning going on (basically learning by experimentation), it wouldn't make sense for the amiibo to start experimenting with moves in chunks. No method I've heard of does it that way.

It might be interesting to purposefully lose to a certain tactic over and over just to see what the amiibo does. Will it just keep spamming that tactic? That would probably be all the info I need to confirm several of my hypotheses.
Like I said, I tried to train my link as a grabber by doing nothing but shielding and using grounded down-b as kirby. He was much more successful when grabbing me than when using other attacks. But as far as I could tell, he did not grab any more than a regular CPU does.

I'm not yet ready to rule out learning entirely. Like I said, the amiibo's scripted behaviors are quite complicated and fairly random, which can make it difficult to see whether or not there's a real pattern to their madness. But I haven't found any decent evidence in favor of learning yet.

Edit: there might not be learning going on, but it's still possible that there are scripted behaviors that are amiibo-exclusive. It would be nice if, say, amiibos could go up to being a level 10 CPU or something.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530

It's hard to believe that every amiibo AI is the same, otherwise a personal-trained one wouldn't be any stronger than a level 9 CPU-trained one.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Thinking on it, it's gonna be rather difficult to control for the changing behaviors caused by leveling up. If an amiibo below lv.50 starts acting differently, is it because it learned something, or because it started running different scripts? For amiibos at lv.50, they've already fought so much that you're not really working with a blank slate any more...

It's hard to believe that every amiibo AI is the same, otherwise a personal-trained one wouldn't be any stronger than a level 9 CPU-trained one.
Is it stronger, though? That guy's video was based on one match with no control. What if CPU mario just beats CPU link in general?

And I have heard something about amiibos leveling up differently against humans than against cpus, and also about them actually leveling up past lv.50, which makes it hard to tell if two amiibos are truly equivalent. They also get damage boosts which are unconnected to the equipment feeding.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Needless to say, a lot more research needs to be done on Amiibos to fully understand how they work XP

At the very least, they're the strongest AI Smash has ever had, at best they're super advanced and learn forever.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I WOULD like to point out though, if they DO get better and better, even if by a bit, and they fight a variety of good players (your friends, etc)

How good WOULD that Amiibo get?

What's their LIMIT?

THAT is interesting.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
The problem with your and Darklin401's observations is that you're not adequately controlling for the fact that, as amiibos level up, their behavior will naturally change from that of a lv.1 AI to a lv.9 AI. Or something similar. The reason they start playing smarter is because they're switching to a superior set of pre-defined scripts. Even inside those pre-defined scripts, there's a great deal of randomness, which would explain why the AI sometimes does one thing and not another. It also explains why it's so easy for people to see patterns in the noise.
There is very little evidence to support the theory that amiibos are just like normal CPUs. In fact, a lot of evidence contradicts that. Amiibos that are well trained are notably superior to their Level 9 counterparts and will consistently outplay them. Furthermore, the normal CPU does not tend to develop strategies and instead follows the simple pattern of "Approach opponent, then attack opponent" while acting faster and smarter as the level goes up. Meanwhile, my Link amiibo clearly swaps between a "projectile spam mode", where it will do things like move to one side of the platform and spam projectiles in various ways, only to swap to a "melee mode" where it runs in and tries to finish off opponents with a sword. I don't see CPU players doing that at all, ever.

In short, this statement blatantly contradicts already established evidence.

That's not true at all. They're the same thing, except that the latter additionally involves code to evaluate the success or failure of actions. And like I said, if they had that code, it would be way smarter for them to just use regular old reinforcement learning.
Dude, what you basically said was "They're not using reinforcement learning, they're using reinforcement learning!" Dafuq do you think reinforcement learning is? Look I'm an experienced programmer and I have a pretty good idea what is and is not possible. If you don't even know what Big O or O(1) means in terms of measuring program efficiency you're not even anywhere near my level. Status to Response mapping (different people might call it different things) is pretty basic, can be done in constant time (in layman's terms, very quickly), and is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect from Nintendo. People have already used such learning AIs to learn simple games like checkers. (As a side note, most chess AIs use a different method based on completely different properties.)

Dude. No. That was not learning, or the amiibo imitating you. That was the AI being ********. Supervised learning methods take dozens of repetitions AT BEST to learn something. Hundreds is usually more realistic. It's absolutely not going to copy you after you do something once. What kind of genius computer scientists do you think Nintendo or Bamco employs? That wasn't learning, that was you seeing Jesus in a jar of mayonnaise. It's just random noise.
You clearly didn't see what I saw. It mistook my mistake for an effective tactic and deliberately went from "standing perfectly still and watching me die" to "jumping into the waterfall". There's no question in my mind. Considering some of the other things you've said I'm not really inclined to believe your statistics. You are ignoring the fact that these Amiibo are learning in VERY controlled circumstances where they only have to worry about maybe 20-30 things happening at once. The numbers you give are more believable for AI that have to interact with the real world, where the amount of uncontrolled variables can be ridiculous. Computers can easily deal with a small number of variables in real time.

It saw me do something new and wanted to see if it was effective. It experimented. It learned that it was not effective and went back to the tactics that it already knew.

Pretty sure that's just the level 1 CPU being stupid.
Again, I really doubt that the amiibo mimic the normal CPUs in any meaningful way. There are a ton of habits that the level 9 CPUs have that the amiibo clearly don't, such as psychic shield timing or dodge timing. Yes the amiibo dodge well and shield well, but none of the blatant cheating that the CPUs are actually capable of.

If this observation's actually legit, as opposed to more randomness, the more likely explanation would be that the amiibo switched from a level 3 CPU to a level 4 one (for example), and they have different scripts for projectile use. If there WERE reinforcement learning going on (basically learning by experimentation), it wouldn't make sense for the amiibo to start experimenting with moves in chunks. No method I've heard of does it that way.
You clearly don't understand how reinforcement learning works, but we've already established that. It makes perfect sense to limit move learning to chunks. Or rather, said another way, it makes a lot more sense to limit the amiibo to, say, normals at first. By focusing on one thing the amiibo can get a pretty good grasp on it before deciding to expand its horizons. We already know that the amiibo AI, post-training, is superior to the default CPU and so there's clearly something more going on than just "it becomes a higher level CPU". The amiibo clearly changes its behavior according to what does and does not work, and I've been able to prove that to myself through dozens of controlled experiments.

Keep in mind that humans learn through reinforcement learning, or "conditioning" as psychologists like to call it. Humans also like to learn things in chunks, before moving on to other things. We learn normals, smashes, aerials and specials, and then after that we move on to ATs and combos. Also consider the education system. You don't learn Calculus at the same time that you learn Arithmetic. No, you learn the "chunck" of Arithmetic, then Algebra or Geometry, then Calc, and so on... Learning in chunks is the smarter way to do it. In fact, for any sufficiently complex topic, learning in chunks is the only way to do it.

Like I said, I tried to train my link as a grabber by doing nothing but shielding and using grounded down-b as kirby. He was much more successful when grabbing me than when using other attacks. But as far as I could tell, he did not grab any more than a regular CPU does.
Because you did not do it correctly. If you wanted to train him as a grabber, you should have picked Link, only attacked via grabs, and then try to shield every thing the amiibo does. It would have imitated the successful grab, then found success on its own because you kept shielding. The way you did it, maybe it would grab, or maybe it'd do other things. Even if it found out that grabs were effective it would still experiment on its own until it realized that other tactics failed. Unless it sees you grabbing, and having success with grabbing, it's not going to have any reason to think that grabbing is effective.

I'm not yet ready to rule out learning entirely. Like I said, the amiibo's scripted behaviors are quite complicated and fairly random, which can make it difficult to see whether or not there's a real pattern to their madness. But I haven't found any decent evidence in favor of learning yet.
The randomness is in the amiibo randomly trying new things, to see if what's effective. If it doesn't know what to do, or wants to try a new move, it randomly selects something to try.

Edit: there might not be learning going on, but it's still possible that there are scripted behaviors that are amiibo-exclusive. It would be nice if, say, amiibos could go up to being a level 10 CPU or something.
I highly doubt it's just the same CPU but better, as it doesn't follow the simple pattern of approach->destroy that CPUs tend to do.

Last edited:

daguyontheladder

Smash Cadet
NNID
daguyontheladder
3DS FC
5284-2773-0878
There is very little evidence to support the theory that amiibos are just like normal CPUs. In fact, a lot of evidence contradicts that. Amiibos that are well trained are notably superior to their Level 9 counterparts and will consistently outplay them. Furthermore, the normal CPU does not tend to develop strategies and instead follows the simple pattern of "Approach opponent, then attack opponent" while acting faster and smarter as the level goes up. Meanwhile, my Link amiibo clearly swaps between a "projectile spam mode", where it will do things like move to one side of the platform and spam projectiles in various ways, only to swap to a "melee mode" where it runs in and tries to finish off opponents with a sword. I don't see CPU players doing that at all, ever.

In short, this statement blatantly contradicts already established evidence.

Dude, what you basically said was "They're not using reinforcement learning, they're using reinforcement learning!" Dafuq do you think reinforcement learning is? Look I'm an experienced programmer and I have a pretty good idea what is and is not possible. If you don't even know what Big O or O(1) means in terms of measuring program efficiency you're not even anywhere near my level. Status to Response mapping (different people might call it different things) is pretty basic, can be done in constant time (in layman's terms, very quickly), and is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect from Nintendo. People have already used such learning AIs to learn simple games like checkers. (As a side note, most chess AIs use a different method based on completely different properties.)

You clearly didn't see what I saw. It mistook my mistake for an effective tactic and deliberately went from "standing perfectly still and watching me die" to "jumping into the waterfall". There's no question in my mind. Considering some of the other things you've said I'm not really inclined to believe your statistics. You are ignoring the fact that these Amiibo are learning in VERY controlled circumstances where they only have to worry about maybe 20-30 things happening at once. The numbers you give are more believable for AI that have to interact with the real world, where the amount of uncontrolled variables can be ridiculous. Computers can easily deal with a small number of variables in real time.

It saw me do something new and wanted to see if it was effective. It experimented. It learned that it was not effective and went back to the tactics that it already knew.

Again, I really doubt that the amiibo mimic the normal CPUs in any meaningful way. There are a ton of habits that the level 9 CPUs have that the amiibo clearly don't, such as psychic shield timing or dodge timing. Yes the amiibo dodge well and shield well, but none of the blatant cheating that the CPUs are actually capable of.

You clearly don't understand how reinforcement learning works, but we've already established that. It makes perfect sense to limit move learning to chunks. Or rather, said another way, it makes a lot more sense to limit the amiibo to, say, normals at first. By focusing on one thing the amiibo can get a pretty good grasp on it before deciding to expand its horizons. We already know that the amiibo AI, post-training, is superior to the default CPU and so there's clearly something more going on than just "it becomes a higher level CPU". The amiibo clearly changes its behavior according to what does and does not work, and I've been able to prove that to myself through dozens of controlled experiments.

Keep in mind that humans learn through reinforcement learning, or "conditioning" as psychologists like to call it. Humans also like to learn things in chunks, before moving on to other things. We learn normals, smashes, aerials and specials, and then after that we move on to ATs and combos. Also consider the education system. You don't learn Calculus at the same time that you learn Arithmetic. No, you learn the "chuck" of Arithmetic, then Algebra or Geometry, then Calc, and so on... Learning in chunks is the smarter way to do it. In fact, for any sufficiently complex topic, learning in chunks is the only way to do it.

Because you did not do it correctly. If you wanted to train him as a grabber, you should have picked Link, only attacked via grabs, and then try to shield every thing the amiibo does. It would have imitated the successful grab, then found success on its own because you kept shielding. The way you did it, maybe it would grab, or maybe it'd do other things. Even if it found out that grabs were effective it would still experiment on its own until it realized that other tactics failed. Unless it sees you grabbing, and having success with grabbing, it's not going to have any reason to think that grabbing is effective.

The randomness is in the amiibo randomly trying new things, to see if what's effective. If it doesn't know what to do, or wants to try a new move, it randomly selects something to try.

I highly doubt it's just the same CPU but better, as it doesn't follow the simple pattern of approach->destroy that CPUs tend to do.
I have a Mario amiibo and fought it as Mario, and I would always use flood when it recovered. I never knocked it out with it, but it did cause the amiibo to grab the ledge. long story short, it never picked it up. on the flip side, I never once meteor smashed it and it somehow learned it out of the blue. mugwhump might have a point that the amiibo have certain patterns (akin to a level 10 cpu) and we are over analyzing it to believe that they are more complex.

but I think that we can all agree that we need some more research on these little things, they might hold a code for an advanced movement script in game or can just be a level 10 cpu placed behind a paywall.

Last edited:

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
some stuff
Can we not escalate this? Mugwhump may have used a sharp tone when replying to you, but implying that he probably doesn't know big O notation is borderline rude.

I came to this thread for some intelligent discussion about the plausibility of Amiibos being real learning AIs, not to listen to people insulting each other. Both your posts have value, and I enjoyed reading them, but it's aggravating to have to sift through ad hominem attacks to get to the real point.

Is it stronger, though? That guy's video was based on one match with no control. What if CPU mario just beats CPU link in general?
I just tried putting a level 9 Mario against a level 9 Link, and Mario kicked Link's butt even harder than in that video.
Doesn't exactly disprove learning, since a level 9 CPU isn't the same as a level 50 Amiibo, and there are tons of other factors anyway, but it indicates that we need a lot more evidence to back up the claim that it's really learning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom