• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amiibo or For Glory?

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, and i'm happy for it to be moved or locked if it is.

What i was wondering is it better to practice for competitions against players or against level 50 amiibo, or a bit of both? I've found level 50 amiibo to be very good defensively, and i was thinking that they would be good practice for improving reading skills.

I'd really love a bit of advice on whether they're any use for practice, in particular any tips for how to improve practice with them. Any help is greatly appreciated:)

Last edited:

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
The game's more difficult AI does unrealistic things in battle and has incredibly unrealistic reaction time. For example, if you through out a Tilt that comes out in say 6 frames, the AI will be able to react to it, shield, and punish. A human player can't react in that same amount of time. Play against computers will teach you how to beat computers, not how to play. Go out and fight real players.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
What @ TheSMASHtyke TheSMASHtyke said. The AI can actually read your inputs as you make them and react. Normally if a player is in the air they will air dodge when they see you coming. You can wait out the air dodge and punish. This is not the case with AI. They wait until they read your attack and then air dodge. It makes reading near impossible.

Last edited:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, and i'm happy for it to be moved or locked if it is.

What i was wondering is it better to practice for competitions against players or against level 50 amiibo, or a bit of both? I've found level 50 amiibo to be very good defensively, and i was thinking that they would be good practice for improving reading skills.

I'd really love a bit of advice on whether they're any use for practice, in particular any tips for how to improve practice with them. Any help is greatly appreciated:)
If your plan is to get good at beating players, practice against players not computers. if your goal is to get good at beating computers, practice against computers. It should be obvious that doing exactly what you're training for will be the best practice you can get. You will develop a ton of bad habits playing against computers as they don't have very human like behaviors. It's not a matter of "facing the toughest thing possible", it's a matter of " what will best prepare me for what i'm trying to do".

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
I think computers are really good for learning how to use your characters moves, and to help you pick up unfamiliar characters faster, etc.

I tend to play try and beat the single player modes w/ a character before I try to use them against people.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend more than that, but at the same time, I do think people tend to be over-critical of practicing against CPUs. If a sandbagging opponent in training mode has its uses, then a lv 9 CPU does as well.

In brawl, I played primarily against CPUs because I really didn't have any other choice.
It had its drawbacks, and its pitfalls of course. But one thing it did I think was help me develop a unique style.
I mean, it was the whole thing people are saying about learning how to beat people by playing people. People are used to playing people who play people, people are not used to people who play computers. So it actually works both ways.

Last edited:

mobilisq

Smash Ace
I'd say that computers are more useful if you just watch them fight each other. From that you can learn which moves out prioritize others, and occasionally see some novel uses for strings of moves that people wouldn't normally expect

Beyond that, human opponents are far better for training

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
You will develop a ton of bad habits playing against computers as they don't have very human like behaviors.
This is too true. I have an annoying habit of instinctively throwing an opponent after grabbing instead of pummeling, because computers break out of grabs inhumanly quick.

DeathlyFerret

Smash Apprentice
Amiibos are terrible training opponents. First off, they have buffed damage, knockback and defense, which gives you misinformation about the character. Also, they make unrealistic dodges, and are literally impossible to read.

The only thing fighting Lv.9 cpus and amiibos has taught me is to punish laggy attacks whenever you can.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Since 1.06 changed AI slightly, I find that, since lag is unrealistic and hard to resolve, fighting level 9s or Amiibos is still better practice than For Glory (plus you can practice more stages and with customs), in lack of the presence of a friend to fight.

D

Deleted member

I prefer to fight Amiibos and CPUs because that way there's no input lag at all, while it would be better to play against human players, playing online wouldn't help in my opinion due to all the lag.

brassm0nkeyman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brassm0nkeyman
I practice against for glory, even though a lot of what I play against is bad, its better practicing against a real person as to an amiibo

Top Bottom