• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amiibo Only / Coop Amiibo Tournaments?

SuperMaddud

Smash Rookie
Does anybody else see potential in Amiibo only tournaments and Amiibo Coop tournaments? (you and your amiibo) It might be less skill focused than other tournaments but you still need to train them and give them good custom moves.

Thoughts?

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
Well, because you can feed items, it may just be a luck and time race to who can grind the most and find the best items.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
I would love this as a fun side event (competitive of course). Just to kick back and enjoy them go all out

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
I would love this as a fun side event (competitive of course). Just to kick back and enjoy them go all out
Damn, my post was gonna be worded almost exactly like this xD

But yeah, something that should be looked into, I think they would be interesting.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
As a side event, naturally. I could get behind it. If you turn customs off do amiibo still have equipment fed?

Chronocide

Smash Cadet
I was actually discussing this in a Skype chat with a few other Ness mains and we thought it be something very interesting to try out. I can see this new 'amiibo fighting' to be a sub-branch of the normal pvp-tournmant style, instead of honing their own skills players would instead have to teach their amiibo new techniques. Teach them how to counter each playstyle, finding the most optimal approach, different types of combos and if you're feeling cheeky they can taunt after each KO. There are so many different things each amiibo can be taught, and if these amiibo tournaments turn out to be a success you could branch out to other game modes such as coin battles that are usually not played competitively.

Amiibo also allow players would can't handle stress very well an opportunity to participate in competitive smash. Let's face it, not all of us are able to deal with stress, and even for those who can it is very likely to affect how you preform at tournaments. But with these amiibo you don't have to worry about a thing as training the amiibo is the only difficult part, once you've done that the amiibo does the rest of the work for you. The idea of having an amiibo support you in a 2v2 is also fantastic, you could teach it to do certain things such as using projectiles on you whilst you PSI magnet or to combo off of throws that you cause.

I swear I'm not an amiibo salesman but I really do think that there are an incredible amount of possibilities and with it just being released we've barely scratched the surface of the metagame.

Last edited:

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
after seeing this article on a Fox Amiibo almost taking a Canada tournament, I can see this being a thing. especially ifhere's an entry fee... you can enter your Amiibo minions in a side event while you're off doing another tournament, and since they imitate you in terms of playstyle as they level up, it can also place a benchmark as to where your game stands in general.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Totally can see it being a side event, and a popular one at that. My Pikachu amiibo bodies me hard now (even though I fed it NO equipment), and I wanna see what it'll do to someone else. I'd personally enter it in a tournament and see how far it gets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom