• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AMA - For any and all Ryu mains!

Megamang

Smash Lord
I want to mention Megaman as a possible bad MU for Ryu. His walling rivals villagers, he has tons of multihits and disjoints, is quite mobile and agile in the air (tied for 1st air accel, which is a stark contrast to Ryu's).

My evidence would be every notable Japanese Ryu dying to Kamemushi, at least to my knowledge he hasn't dropped a recent set.

Of course, Megaman lacks a good get off me aerial and is a heavy fastfaller, so Ryu does Ryu things when he gets in. For this reason I don't think it is out of the 55:45 range, but Mega does notably well in a LOT of key aspects.

Also Megaman's shoryu is f1 invincible and is almost as powerful as TRSK, though its much more laggy and risky to use. It can be confirmed from metal blade. Pellets make Hadouken next to useless.

Just something I thought I'd mention. Megaman isn't a common tournament pick so it isn't a disabling MU in any way. Ryu can probably optimize some Megaman stuff due to his rather linear recovery, BUT if you are holding forward while using Rush you actually often get spiked back on to rush and recover for free, since Rush gives you another Rush if you hit a second bounce.

Mega's shoryu isn't MU defining and Ryu's is considerably better, its mostly pellets + buster hitboxes + bair that walls Ryu hard, as well as the insane air accel allowing all that stuff to be really mobile, safe, and adaptable. Uair also does terrible things to people that use jump in approaches; everyone can punish this for Ryu but Megaman is one of the only chars that has an equivalent reward to a jump in aerial. Eating a uair at the ground will often let terrible, terrible things happen to Ryu. Uair Uair Bair, Uair -> airdodge read -> Z drop things (metal blade is great against larger characters).... Uair Uair -> Follow Ryu with Rush -> Uairs can kill him since he isn't able to change direction quickly and FA doesn't do much here.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Hi, Hooded.
You plannin' on making an in depth Neutral Guide?
*edit: In form of a video.

Last edited:

Derpy_Steve

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dinogoatee
Question: What do you usually go for after a jab lock at medium percentages?(30%-60%) I've been performing jab locks here and there, but I can't think of anything else besides another fair->fs->jab lock.

Maryu

Smash Rookie
Any tips for light to heavy utilt to tru shoryuken or doing stuff like tilts and jabs to true shoryu, i watch players like dj jack trela venom and hooded do it and there shoryus come out instantly after

xCareless

Smash Rookie
NNID
mogiyakatori
What do you do in the Mewtwo MU? I find it really difficult to get in on him, and usually get outspaced pretty hard by his tail.

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
What do you think of Ryu's who people don't see very often such as GSM WAR or Venom? Is there anything very good that they do that other Ryu's don't?

Heracr055

Smash Ace
So Hooded, have you experimented much with aerial reverse True Hadokens and Shakenutsus? I want to see if there's any application for doing these aerial B-reversals with the benefit of glide from doing the true input.

ntnichols33

Smash Rookie
So let me introduce myself. I'm Hooded and currently ranked 6th best on Philly PR but have a bloodthirsty drive to dominate my region in months to come. I have a Ryu dedicated channel you can checkout here with the most Ryu information you can fathom. Point is I know my character. Better than anyone in the world and I am confident of that. I'm not trying to brag but rather offer advice to anyone who doesn't have anyway to access certain information. If you have any question, broad or specific, I will answer it to the best of my ability. Want to learn something new? Just ask me the right question. Thank you!
So let me introduce myself. I'm Hooded and currently ranked 6th best on Philly PR but have a bloodthirsty drive to dominate my region in months to come. I have a Ryu dedicated channel you can checkout here with the most Ryu information you can fathom. Point is I know my character. Better than anyone in the world and I am confident of that. I'm not trying to brag but rather offer advice to anyone who doesn't have anyway to access certain information. If you have any question, broad or specific, I will answer it to the best of my ability. Want to learn something new? Just ask me the right question. Thank you!
Hey Hooded, I was wondering if u just had any last minute advice when fighting ness as ryu. I'm playing a ness main in a tryout for a crew and I just want to know all I can before I go into this set which means a lot to me, thanks.

Top Bottom