• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one who thinks Pikachu sucks in Brawl?

pichuthethundergod

Smash Cadet
I've been maining as Pikachu/Pichu FOREVER. I mained him in the original. I was in middle school and me and my friends all sucked so I spammed Thunder and owned everybody. I learned not to do that eventually and when Melee came out I continued to own with Pikachu. Then I discovered Pichu and despite my friends' warnings that "Pichu sucks cause he hurts himself" I couldn't resist the cuteness or the ability to run circles around everyone else. And the All-Knowing Smash Brothers declared there shall be ownage, and lo, there was ownage.

Now brawl is out and not only is Pichu gone but Pikachu is nigh unusable. I can hold my own or even pwn face with Luigi/Jiggles/Ness/Marth/Metaknight/Snake/R.O.B./Sonic, but every time I touch Pikachu I die miserably. He just doesn't feel right anymore.

I've been seeing a lot of people posting saying Pika sucked in Melee and owns in Brawl, but I don't get it. I wanna find out what the heck I'm doing wrong. What about Pika is improved?

My main complaints are that all his moves seem to have super low priority now, I have a harder time connecting hits than I do with Sonic. Also his smashes are all much weaker, and while his thunder is faster and more spammable it just doesn't have the same wallop anymore. The only improvement I can see is skull bash has more knockback, but it's still so easy to counter (and still not as good as Luigi's Green Rocket)

Any help?

Manu

Smash Cadet
Don't get so physical with his body, seriously its only a yellow rat. If you get close attempt its chain grabs if applicable or go from a dthrow to an aerial. His skull bash isn't that much of an attack, its a really good recovery now though. His thunderjolt and thunder move give him range, his sliding upsmash is quick for some kills but his other smashes just rack up damage. He has a new AT that is being developed but for now just learn how to get kills with Thunder and his Nair.

Quick attack is a move to learn now too.

pichuthethundergod

Smash Cadet
He is not ONLY a yellow rat! Shame on you!

Has quick attack changed? I haven't noticed a difference.

His aerials are still good I'll grant that but they keep getting interrupted (except Dair). I can gimp with thunderjolt or knock them off the top of the stage with thunder (the infinite distance is nice) but I can't get them off the stage in the first place.

superspick007

Smash Rookie
bro i think something just happened to ur playing skills...

his attacks are a little bit weaker but he's the same as ever

I really don't understand why u can't get somebody off a stage

Gamedragon89

Smash Rookie
Perhaps the main things that changed for Pika are the Up Smash and Uair. Both of them aren't as potent anymore, and that's what I mainly used in SSBM to kill.

pichuthethundergod

Smash Cadet
Even if he is just as good/better than ever, I don't like that I'm having to completely relearn my game. He's a different character now.

Also, I miss the wizard hat.

pichuthethundergod

Smash Cadet
I hate spamming.

I don't mind them buffing some things or nerfing some things, I just don't like them changing his entire playstyle.

Dude, fix the quotes in the post. your /quote shouldn't be in caps.

Spyckie

Smash Apprentice
1) full hop b approach grounded characters - almost better than doc Mario's pills

2) Avoid using upair (until you've figured out a use for it) because it does sucky damage and can't combo safely (or well).

3) fair is a good approach - mix up not fastfalling, fastfalling, double jumping, and doublejump-fastfalling it so that they can't learn the shield grab timing, and followup with a dsmash afterwards.

4) shield+nair for kills or punishing.

5) QuAC.

6) Chaingrab only if you think someone deserves it.

Pikachu is full of win. Don't cry because you have to change your playstyle - Let the yoshi, fox, falco, and jigglypuff players do that.

And Marth. Not really.

Mac2492

Smash Apprentice
I hate spamming.
If it works, it works. :laugh:

I don't mind them buffing some things or nerfing some things, I just don't like them changing his entire playstyle.
They tweaked quite a few characters around. It might be a hassle for the players, but I think it's the right thing to do. It keeps the game fresh. What's the point in releasing a new game if you're not going to throw in new concepts? Pikachu isn't ruined. He (she?) is just different.

I heard that Captain Falcon has it pretty hard in Brawl. So... Be happy that your character is slightly tweaked (for the better?) and not completely ruined.

Dude, fix the quotes in the post. your /quote shouldn't be in caps.
Actually, that's not the problem. He forgot a bracket after "[quote". That's why the quote is broken. The capitalization doesn't matter.

(Quote my post to see what I did.)

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
Even if he is just as good/better than ever, I don't like that I'm having to completely relearn my game. He's a different character now.

Also, I miss the wizard hat.
Yeah, I was saying the same thing when Halo 3 came out, "Why doesn't the Elite play the same way it did in Halo 2?"

But on a serious note, with everyone being more "floaty" no one was bound to play the same as they used to.

Top Bottom