• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the Only One Who Doesn't Find Taunts Offensive?

Sir. Oosh

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1993-8349-0853
I'm new to the competitive Smash community and one of the first things I learned is that the Smash community finds taunting to be offensive. I don't completely understand this. In the past I've played Smash a lot with friends and we would always taunt each other as a way to have fun. And since I thought of it as a fun thing to do, I would taunt people online thinking that I was being friendly. Of course, now that I know it's offensive, I don't do it anymore. I've also told all my friends this (they're casual players) and they've stopped as well. So is taunting universally considered offensive in the Smash community? Am I the only one who doesn't find it offensive? I apologize if this is a dumb question. Like I said, I'm new.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I guess it really depends on the situation, or rather how the taunt is used. Of course, you can never know the persons true intents via taunts and can only make assumptions (unless they're very obvious about it). It sometimes boils down to how you view it.

For example, there's a lot of players (even me) who find it respectful to taunt before a match; however there's some who don't bother with it at all and will even take that chance to attack you. I only tend to do it if my opponent does first, otherwise I don't bother with "Taunt greetings" as again, not everyone does it. Some may consider it disrespectful to taunt after each and every KO while others deem it as unnecessary. For me, my general rule is I do not taunt period unless my opponent does it first.

Now there are people who are very obvious that they mean disrespect by taunting. I've encountered various players on For Glory who will literally taunt every chance they get, and usually they are the kind of people who like to fling insults at you after they win.

So I guess it again, boils down to how you and/or your opponent views taunting. Not everyone does it to be a total butt munch (cenors kiddies, keep it soft!) but at the same time there's some who obviously mean harm by doing it. If you wish to taunt then taunt away. If you feel like it might be taken offensively then don't do it. There's no rule that forbids you from doing it after all.

Just use your taunts wisely, or better yet don't do it unless your opponent does first. It's really up to you.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
That depends. If you're facing a cocky player, then they will do it to make you mad. If facing a salty player, then they will taunt right up your face if you SD by mistake or take a stock off of you. If you face a good player who isn't salty or cocky, then he'll taunt if he's having fun with you. Don't taunt unless your opponent does it, first if they try to disrespect or try to see if you're salty. If you see a taunt that says "Good game" or "You're good", then its not disrespectful and they're just trying to have a good time with you.

For me, if my opponents taunt with good messages, then I sometimes taunt back to greet back if I want. If my opponents try to taunt to insult me, then I laugh and don't take them seriously at all because I can smell the salt or rage in them. Well like @ KirbCider KirbCider said, use your taunts wisely, and only taunt if you want, depending how your opponent taunts.

Last edited:

Blazerator

Smash Cadet
NNID
josh2499
I taunt every time I get a kill or a shield break. Whether they find it offensive is none of my concern. After all, that is how taunts are supposed to be used.

taunt- "made in order to anger, wound, or provoke someone."

Passcety

Smash Rookie
It more depends if I like the character or not. Like If Pac-Man taunts for KO it's "(: nice!" but if it's Mario it's ">:O it's on" The people who stand still instead of taunting/moving give off a more offending feeling tbh

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
It more depends if I like the character or not. Like If Pac-Man taunts for KO it's "(: nice!" but if it's Mario it's ">:O it's on" The people who stand still instead of taunting/moving give off a more offending feeling tbh
That's what I like about just standing there sometimes, especially when my opponent taunted me earlier from a kill but when I get around to taking their stock, I just stand there. Which gives off more of an eerie feel than doing one of my chars goofy taunts. I mean sometimes a characters idle stance comes of as a taunt in itself. Except now I run around or air dodge and stuff cause it keeps me in the momentum better.

And in addition to what Kirbcider and Underhill states about the situation (so I won't repeat any of that). I kind of agree it also depends on the characters taunts itself. Some make me go, 'Haha that's cute/funny.' and doesn't really irritate me. While some come off obnoxious an annoying. Like I don't want to have to state any-- Shulk.

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Depends on if my character has cool taunts or not.

If I'm playing Zelda, I usually wave hello (down taunt) or do side taunt (fire pray) if we play extensive and intense games. And I'm ALWAYS gonna wave goodbye after a KO.

If I'm playing Doc, I'm gonna disrespect you with his bug-squash taunt (up taunt) no matter what. But if we have good games, I'll do his shoulder tap taunt (down taunt).

If I'm feeling froggy and playing Bowser, I'll start with his roar (up taunt), and do bite taunt (side taunt) for KOs.

But yeah, back on the actual subject at hand, I don't find it offensive, per se. It's always been part of the game and I've been doing it since the 64 days. It really only motivates me more to body you.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
For me it depends on the situation and what kind of taunt is used.

If a Captain Falcon KO's me and says "show me ya moves", I don't mind: it's a quick and funny taunt. However if he randomly taunts after just hitting me I see it as him trying to be a jerk.

If a Pac-Man (or any other character that has some sort of chargeable weapon) KO's me and taunts, I usually get a bit irritated because they went out of their way to indirectly offend me instead of charging their weapon.

But in general, I don't get mad at taunts that much. The only ones that sort of annoy me even if used normally are :4littlemac:'s down taunt and all of :4sonic:'s.

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Honestly I don't really care whether or not the person I am playing against taunts. The only reason I would be bothered by it is if I was playing poorly that day and they taunted me to make me feel even worse about the way I am playing. I never taunt unless I get a cool kill or I taunt at the beginning of a match because I am playing a ditto or the other guy taunted at the beginning first. I think the only taunt that would bother me no matter the context would be Peach's "lalalala" taunt. That just makes me angry from seeing it.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Honestly I don't really care whether or not the person I am playing against taunts. The only reason I would be bothered by it is if I was playing poorly that day and they taunted me to make me feel even worse about the way I am playing. I never taunt unless I get a cool kill or I taunt at the beginning of a match because I am playing a ditto or the other guy taunted at the beginning first. I think the only taunt that would bother me no matter the context would be Peach's "lalalala" taunt. That just makes me angry from seeing it.
I kind of agree mostly with the first part.
But as a Peach secondary, why hate on my favorite Peach taunt. When I use it, it means I'm having fun/not taking it seriously/being friendly.
How do you see it? @_@

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
I kind of agree mostly with the first part.
But as a Peach secondary, why hate on my favorite Peach taunt. When I use it, it means I'm having fun/not taking it seriously/being friendly.
How do you see it? @_@
*Bodies opponent*
LALALALALALA

*Peach wins*
"Awwwwwww, did I win? ;)"

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
*Bodies opponent*
LALALALALALA

*Peach wins*
"Awwwwwww, did I win? ;)"
Haha, I can kind of see that now. I guess it IS a taunt after all.

I find it cute though, much like how Pit/DP players like their taunts and victory combos, and I don't.

To each their own. ^^

Last edited:
Top Bottom