• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one who can't learn how to wavedash in P:M?

godlikekitten

Smash Rookie
In Melee I can wavedash just fine with any of the characters, but when I can't play project m I can't do it with anyone. The way I have to wavedash is by setting my Y button to shield and mashing X and Y but that seems inefficient. The CPUs can do it perfectly, but for me it's like learning to walk with no legs. Am I missing something?

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Try using your Melee characters at first, and remember there is no light shield analog press. It should be very similar if not exact for the melee characters, so I don't know what the problem could be.

godlikekitten

Smash Rookie
Well I can finally do it to some extent now unlike before where I just jumped. Feels like I have to relearn how to do it. Could loading off of Riivolution and a bigger SD card be a problem at all? Since my Project M is in the brawlmods folder and not the Private/wii path.

Minor Pandemic

Smash Apprentice
It's worth noting that it takes 1 extra frame for you to be airborne in PM as compared to Melee. I'm not sure if this affects wavedashing but I know that it does give you one extra frame to shorthop (eg 3 instead of 2 on Sheik) so that could be what's making it hard for you.

godlikekitten

Smash Rookie
That could honestly be the only problem. When I play Melee I feel like my time for pressing X then R is faster than P:M so I'm not used to that 1 frame being there so I pressing R to fast before I can air dodge down.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Unless you are using the wi-fi safe build, airdodges will only occur on a full press of the trigger, just as in Melee.

It's worth noting that it takes 1 extra frame for you to be airborne in PM as compared to Melee. I'm not sure if this affects wavedashing but I know that it does give you one extra frame to shorthop (eg 3 instead of 2 on Sheik) so that could be what's making it hard for you.
This is false. Jump data is the same as Melee or faster for some characters, but not slower. Instead the timeframe to release the jump button to get a shorthop is one frame longer, going into the final frame of jump squat instead of the frame before it.

godlikekitten

Smash Rookie
That's it then Kink. I'm only using the wifi safe build because when I use the no wifi build it freezes as soon as it loads a stage before the announcer can even start speaking, which is a whole other problem entirely. Now I need to fix that to get my wavedashing back.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Push Y to jump (control stick jumping is for degenerate fukboys), angle the control stick at your desired angle, push L/R (rhythmically).

Same as melee. I believe the extra 1 dead frame while jumping makes it even easier.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
With the Wi-Fi safe build, light presses result in airdodges, meaning the method of pressing both jump and a trigger at the same time (letting the downward trigger press take place over the course of the jumpsquat frames) won't work. Switching to the offline build should solve your problem.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
I would suggest Marth to warm up your hands. Once I start playing P:M with Marth I slide around with his WD like it's nobodies business.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
The light press air dodge is so amazing that if it gets invalidated (they fix offline to be able to save replays/wifi), and it doesn't get implemented then to be turn-on-able per controller slot through some kind of option, then it's a greater downfall than any other anything ever.

it only Checks differently than Melee, all the frame data like when you're air born is the same, it just checks on the last frame possible while Melee checked to see if your button was released a frame prior than the last just to aggravate us. You're right that it could effect people's feel for stuff though.

I also don't understand how light press vs hard press matters when he's using just "Y" to be his shield and input his air dodge?

godlikekitten

Smash Rookie
With the Wi-Fi safe build, light presses result in airdodges, meaning the method of pressing both jump and a trigger at the same time (letting the downward trigger press take place over the course of the jumpsquat frames) won't work. Switching to the offline build should solve your problem.
This solved it. Installed the full set with the installer and now the wavedashing is exactly like Melee's. Thanks for the posts though, everyone! Glad I could get this fixed.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
sounds like there's a problem with your sd card. try defragmenting it

godlikekitten

Smash Rookie
sounds like there's a problem with your sd card. try defragmenting it
Well I fixed it all now. Backed everything up and formatted the SD then did a fresh install of the brawlmods folder with project m and the riivolution folder and as a backup I have the gecko version on its own sd.

Top Bottom