• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am i playing wrong if i don't grab much?

Mojoz

Smash Rookie
NNID
McMojoz
So i have been maining the king for about 500 matches now, i have around 70% win rate on For Glory overall, and probably about 80-90% with dedede, so this seems good, however i find that people on for glory are most likely not very good and 95% all fall for the same tricks (such as the swallow suicide).

I came to this forum and noticed a lot of talk about D3's grab combo potential, the truth is i would barely ever grab, and went most matches without grabbing at all. Therefore i have been trying to add more grabs into my game but am finding this is making me play worse (maybe I'm looking for them too much).

Now I'm a bit confused, because i am winning a lot of matches but I'm not really sure how good these players actually are, has my win-rate given me false confidence, should i be grabbing more?

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
When the occasion arises, you should grab. You can grab for punishing a roll you read, shield-grabbing a blocked aerial, or a bad approach option. A grab leads to a generally better punishment, either in the form of damage, or negative state.

That being said, you shouldn't run at people to try and grab them. Grabs are mostly a punishing tool. Some MUs, you'll probably rarely grab, if at all.

You're not necessarily playing "wrong", but Dedede, being a very grab-centric character, you're probably not playing him optimally.

hyhy

Smash Rookie
NNID
hhartley94
3DS FC
0061-0342-2385
As Jabejazz said, DeDeDe's grabs are great for punishing, especially against the aggressive characters who tend to have better matchups against you (Shiek/ZSS in paticular). Down throw is a great move with plenty of combo potential so it's definitely worth learning how to use it effectively.

MuddyMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
MuddyMan
Down throw to Nair at low percents Down throw to Uair at medium-high percents and keep them in the air as long as possible.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'd say yes. Dedede has fantastic grab range and has great set ups with his throws, especially with dthrow. You shouldn't be spamming it,of course, but it is one of his most useful tools in competitive play and not using it is a lot like Toon Link or Megaman not using projectiles.

Last edited:

Vic

Smash Cadet
NNID
victimer3
On top of all the aforementioned his jab reset into grab can rack up some serious damage in the early game, especially with follow up nair or uair depending on percent.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
You can Dthrow to Fair Dthrow to Nair and you can ever Dthrow to turn around Bair at low %. Down throw is godly on this character and you DEFINITELY should be grabbing. Though like these guys are saying as a punish more so not blindly running at them and mashing your grab button.

I personally advise against pummeling below like 50% because most competent players mash the living **** out of their sticks

Top Bottom