• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I gimping myself?

Goalie63

Smash Rookie
I was just wondering if I was not playing to the potential I could since I mainly use smashes. I mean I dont edgehog or tilt or non of this Advance Tech stuff and occasionally use the B moves just wanting some feedback

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah, you're playing an extremely limited game with a character that doesn't even have particularly great smash attacks.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
XD definitely use more utilt and ftilt... try to always have charged needles... i find that not only does it scare the opponent, but it keeps you from accidentally going into a needle charge offstage, freaking out, and dying. you should definitely be edgeguarding, since none of sheik's onstage KO moves are reliable... and a lot of her aerials can actually KO people easily when used off-stage. whip is actually a pretty useful way to edgeguard (when used as a tether)...

um...

dtilt CAN be useful... but only because of it's speed and when against an opponent who is being wary of ftilt...

vanish is actually a pretty cool KO move... it's just hard to pull off.

Goalie63

Smash Rookie
ok ty for the input I do use Vanish for KOs but this might sound really dumb but what is a tilt? I also do alot of the standard moves but I really dont edgeguard.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Tilt: tilt the stick in a direction and press A

You can also change the cstick to "attack"

If you press forward and A and Sheik does something where she kicks her foot in a circle instead of dashing forward twice, you've done a ftilt.

Goalie63

Smash Rookie
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh lol I do that didnt know the "technical" term for it I guess lol yeah I do that so I guess edgehogging is the only thing I dont do

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
Aside from usmash (which is often difficult to sweetspot), none of Sheik's smashes can KO very well. Fsmash and dsmash won't kill until the mid to late 100s, or even later if you're using them frequently - because of move deterioration.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is not Melee....adapt.

...to play sheik well you're going to need to completely change your way of thinking from the Melee mindset. this includes knowing what a "tilt" is and using edgeguarding/edgehogging techniques. You can't just walk around and spam smashes all day. Maybe that'll work against some, but against higher level opponents you will fail miserably...(also the diminishing returns kills your ability to EVER get a kill with her.)

Goalie63

Smash Rookie
Geez cobra thats why I started this so I could change some besides I realized Brawl is not melee when it came out for the Wii and the GC..... and I dont spam smashes Also I do know what a tilt is but I didnt use the term oused here for it

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Geez cobra thats why I started this so I could change some besides I realized Brawl is not melee when it came out for the Wii and the GC..... and I dont spam smashes Also I do know what a tilt is but I didnt use the term oused here for it
...I'm just saying, it seems obvious that you need to expand your current strategies and adapt to the new game. Saying, "...it's hard to change" , doesn't give us much to comment on besides telling you that you need to adapt again and leaving you to do it.

Goalie63

Smash Rookie
Yeah nothing you say can make me do it, I have to do it myself its just that I was looking for input so i would know if I needed to try and change

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Yeah nothing you say can make me do it, I have to do it myself its just that I was looking for input so i would know if I needed to try and change
Yes. You need to try to change.

...Don't worry though, we all do. I myself need to stop shield-rolling all the time. Like yourself, many of us still have our Melee carry-overs and general bad habits that we need to try to eliminate. Keep at it.

(Well, except Drephen...the Drephen combo is still win, but only when he uses it.)

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I think what your question boils down to is, Can i reach maximum or near maximum levels of play without tilts? The answer to the question i just recreated is no, you can't.

You could reach maximum or near maximum levels of play without dair, and without dtilt (arguable) and without dash attack (arguable), and without fsmash (unarguably).

All the other Sheik moves need to be in your gameplay style somewhere, or else you definitely are "gimping yourself".

You are better off if you incorporate everything Sheik can do into your game, all the way down to footstool jumping.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
imdavid isn't trashing wolf's tilts. All he said was "his smash attacks are the shizz".
Didn't say he was. really it was just the fact that he said, "or you can use Wolf's Smashes" , as in ..."instead of using tilts, use wolf and Smash attack"

...I took it the next logical step and said, why just use his Smashes when his Ftilt is beast too...

(Wasn't downing him, was just pointing to my signature comedy video)

Goalie63

Smash Rookie
OK ty for the input have been trying to not use smashes and using most of her moves now, yeah Cobra I shield Roll a crud load and though i dont find it a bad thing it bugs my friends when I do it lol

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
one of the best things ive found that ive practiced and gotten good at that infinately makes me a better player.

if you can get the timing and the positioning of vanish you will be a god.

a AOE attack with loads of KO potential.

i could write a list sometime but just for one idea.

a friend of mine plays fox alot after some practicing i can now jump off stage and vanish back to it while his UP+B is charging (as he tries to get back) normally trying to melee hit fox while he is "on fire" would only hurt you but vanishing NEXT to him causes 20% and sends him away and leaves plenty of room for you to jump back off the stage and abuse him again.

Top Bottom