• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I Di'ing the wrong way?

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
It seems like I die very early in matches, even earlier than people who dont do anything when they get hit.
This is how I DI:
This is if im using MK against a Zelda and I had about 110% damage. If zelda hit me with a Fsmash and and it sent me right, I would DI left. If Zelda hit me with a Usmash and it sent me up, I would DI down. Is this wrong?

Blissard

Smash Lord
If Zelda hit you with Fsmash you should've SDI'ed out of there long before it killed you, but that's beside the point...

DI only lets you change the angle at which you're being sent. It doesn't affect your momentum in any way (momentum cancelling is a whole different topic). Since it only lets you change angle, you want DI towards the corner of the screen to maximize the distance between you and the blastzone. Follow my logic? Therefore, DI'ing down while going through an upward trajectory isn't going to do anything at all since you didn't change your angle at all. Generally, the rule is to DI perpendicular to the direction you're going. If you're sent right from the fsmash, then DI upwards. If you're sent up from the usmash, DI either left or right depending on your location.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
DI'ing is done up to a 90 degree angle offset from your launch angle, but does not effect your launch 1:1 to what you DI. It might effect it like, up to 45 degrees or something I do not know the specifics.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
If you're using Meta Knight, it will also help if you spammed his Up Air as you DI, since the move itself helps in canceling momentum.

Each character has a move, whether it's an aerial attack or a B move that can help in momentum canceling. It's knowing which move is the trick. Combining that with proper DI can help characters survive longer than intended.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
If Zelda hit you with Fsmash you should've SDI'ed out of there long before it killed you, but that's beside the point...

DI only lets you change the angle at which you're being sent. It doesn't affect your momentum in any way (momentum cancelling is a whole different topic). Since it only lets you change angle, you want DI towards the corner of the screen to maximize the distance between you and the blastzone. Follow my logic? Therefore, DI'ing down while going through an upward trajectory isn't going to do anything at all since you didn't change your angle at all. Generally, the rule is to DI perpendicular to the direction you're going. If you're sent right from the fsmash, then DI upwards. If you're sent up from the usmash, DI either left or right depending on your location.
I made up that zelda example. But do I have to Sdi up out of her Fsmash?

@ the bold part: If im on the left side of FD when i get hit by Usmash, should I DI left?

Thankyou for the help, and everyone else too.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Do you want to be above the stage after surviving the attack, or offstage? Does the attack send you at a perfectly vertical trajectory, or did it lean in a certain direction? Ask yourself these questions. An usmash will generally kill you through the top blastzone, so DI'ing to the left and right will have the same survival rate. However, attacks like Snake's utilt have slight angles on them that are sometimes mistaken for perfectly vertical, causing players to DI the wrong way.

BSP

Smash Legend
It seems like I die very early in matches, even earlier than people who dont do anything when they get hit.
This is how I DI:
This is if im using MK against a Zelda and I had about 110% damage. If zelda hit me with a Fsmash and and it sent me right, I would DI left. If Zelda hit me with a Usmash and it sent me up, I would DI down. Is this wrong?
Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNNe3aR5bGc&feature=BFa&list=SP497BC1E2C4C522E4

What you are currently doing does nothing to help you live. You can use DI to alter your trajectory, but you can't outright fight the knockback that's sending you in a direction.

The video should clear it up, but here's a simple form since DI is hard to take in

If an attack hits you horizontally, DI up with your control stick.
If an attack sends you vertically, DI away from you opponent.

Once you get DI down, go on to the next videos in the series and learn how to live even longer.

Top Bottom