• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

alternative method for single naner locking

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
i was trying to figure out alternatives to single naner locking when i stumbled upon this.
if you time it right diddy can down throw a banana TWICE in a single short hop

to do this: i have grab set to x, it doesnt work with r or l i already tried. im not sure why it happens but something about the properties of x grabbing instead of l or r.

anyways jump above the persons head like you were going to set up a nana lock and throw the banana down (using down and x) while jumping forward. IMMEDIATELY press down x again.

what this will look like: diddy will short hop above the person and down the the banana causing the trip animation and will catch the banana and immediately throw it again similar to the instant ground toss.

combo potential: ive worked this into a double down banana throw into a dtilt to a grab b throw to a glide tossed towards the opponent throw followed by a cartwheel into a dair spike

it also combos into simpler things like double down banana throw into a
1:grab
2:dash attack
3:dtilt
4:fsmash
5:dsmash

basicly anything that comes out fast

this is a great great great set up for kills and combo potential

you can also use it after u have single naner locked someone to the edge of the stage,then double naner down throw for an extra 15%

TreK

Is "that guy"
basically, a ground toss not on the ground :p
btw, i saw a vid of a single naner lock with this used instead of FFed aerial (to barrel spike xD) so i guess the second part known.

Oh, and to achieve it, you don't need to change your setting, just airdodge and c stick in the direction you want to throw it at the (almost) same time.

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
im not sure we're on the same page here >.<
u dont have time to airdoge and cstick with this
your unless u have freakishly fast fingers.
your hitting them with 2 banana throws within a matter of a second
after the first down throw the banana is caught and thrown simultaneously
so u would have to hold r and c stick extremely fast and the finger placing for that just seems awkward...anyways i wish i could post a video of this but im at work right now..
if anyone can try this and post a video it would be greatly appreciated cuz i dont think i can do it until the weekend =/

ADHD

Smash Hero
This has been known by some people but never posted, it MAY be useful out of a shield but I'll just play around with it in friendlys and stuff.

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
This has been known by some people but never posted, it MAY be useful out of a shield but I'll just play around with it in friendlys and stuff.
you should :) it really adds to his already awesome "combo" potential and is a guraenteed 15 ish percent

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Yeah Reflex posted something like this on the Wario boards a while ago but with the big tire of the bike. You can infinite against a wall with it. But this technique seems a lot easier cause of how long your opponent is in the tripping animation.
Its actually just canceling an airdodge catch into a throw which isnt really new. Its just a variant of the instant ground throw where your already in the air when you input the airdodge followed by a throw. But I like the idea. I was always to slow with the regular single banana lock but with this, I have a lot more room for error if I can get the second part down well enough. :)

Player-1

Smash Legend
You can use L and R...I tested the same thing a while back with single naner locking, just trying to figure out easier ways to set this up, and I tested the same thing using R, not that hard at all.

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
yeah i couldnt get the timing down for the original version which was why i was trying to find alternates lol.
so its safe to say this is an alternate way to single naner lock?
if so ill change the title of the thread and the contents to make it more fitting

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Yeah I think of it as two techniques combined into one. The normal single naner lock (the idea of a SH to Dthrow to recatch and repeat) with the instant ground throw (the airdodge catch canceled with a throw).

Volts

Smash Cadet
basically, a ground toss not on the ground :p
btw, i saw a vid of a single naner lock with this used instead of FFed aerial (to barrel spike xD) so i guess the second part known.

Oh, and to achieve it, you don't need to change your setting, just airdodge and c stick in the direction you want to throw it at the (almost) same time.
Could we get a link?

TreK

Is "that guy"
"the user deleted this video" <___<
Welllllll forget that xD
Make a vid lazeee if you can, if it's different from what i know i'll remake the vid to show the difference. Maybe both can be useful =)

ADHD

Smash Hero
I tried this out and the second throw seems to come out too fast to keep them in the lock but I could be wrong.

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
i had that problem too lols
the timing is really hard to do consistently and i figured it out at 1230 in the morning last night so its still pretty raw lol
but one hting i could do was the regular single lock without the double downthrow til i got to the edge and the did the double down throw try that out first and then see if you can work your way up
i cant even get it consistently to be honest lol

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i think im doing it too fast T_T my cpu opponent can even get out of it.

edit:
did it finally. i like it but during pressure of matches ill probably mix it up in my game :3 tho what i do like about this is the immediate side-b i can do into my opponent xD another free 15%. tho u can do that after any trip animation xD

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
yeah its got really good combo potential
another combo is after the double down throw dtilt once and follow with a grab,then grab the banana and glide toss it towards them and follow with a dash attack and then read their di and get another follow up
ive got like 64% from that and if they get tipped by the cartwheel it sets up for a dair spike :D i love this move

Top Bottom