• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate costume unlocks in Smash 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
What characters out there have the most difficult costume potential as far as established costumes go and no complete character changes?

Sonic ? Did he wear anything in Black Knight?
ROB ? I suppose ROB64
Shiek ?
Ness and Lucas? I don't know what they have in their games.
Ice Climbers ?

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
What characters out there have the most difficult costume potential as far as established costumes go and no complete character changes?

ROB ? I suppose ROB64
Shiek ?
Ice Climbers ?
Ness could be wearing his Pajamas. The same one he used in the beginning of the game and in Magicant. If Ninten isn't in Smash Bros. 4, Ness can wear an outfit similar to his. I guess that scarf would be the biggest difference.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord

ROB ? I suppose ROB64
Shiek ?
Ice Climbers ?
And what about Kirby?
I think for some chars a simple elaborated texature would be enough. Like Sonichu's pattern (and tail and ears maybe) for Sonic.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I would think Kirby would just have his typical series transformation for costumes, like bird, fire, zap etc. Just when he eats someone that costume is temporarily replaced with the enemies look.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I always thought that the current Ice Climbers and the one on the box art were different enough to make a costume,if cross-series is possible it could be the Hammer Bros,or Pulse and Minum\Pichu Bros.

Sorry if the post is big,I've been absent for months and forgot how to hide.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Armored Mewtwo FTW!

Also, Ike can have Lord, Hero, Vanguard and maybe his FE:A design as alt outfits.

Samus has ton to choose from. Basic Power Suit, Fusion suit, Dark Suit, Light Suit, PE Suit and Phazon Suit.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep

ROB ? I suppose ROB64
Shiek ?
Ice Climbers ?
For ROB they can simply make something original (maybe the Minister villain from the Subspace Emissary?). ROB64 wouldn't work at all, the name is the only thing similar between the two...
Sonic can have his Classic Sonic attire, Super Sonic, maybe even Metal Sonic.
Shiek would probably ever different attires based on the various Zelda games. Most of the characters would have a costume based on the different games anyway, like Fox (64 Fox, Adventures Fox, Assault Fox, Command Fox since he's always different).

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I don't care too much if they put in some alt costumes for the sake of it............................ but some alternate costumes for specific characters are a MUST.

For Example Zelda.
How can we completely abolish the epic looking brown haired elegant princess from Twilight for that bratty looking blonde girl in Skyward?

It's two very different sides of Zelda seen in the series and both need to be represented but don't deserve their own move sets. There simply MUST be an alternate costume for Skyward Zelda and Twilight Zelda.

Off the top of my head other characters that must have alternate costumes:

- Ganondorf/Demise (in essence they are the same character. You can't omit his most recent incarnation but can't remove the iconic incarnation... so we need to have both)

- Olimar/New Pikimin captain (different character I know... but unless Olimar plays a big part in the new game... you need a main representation from the most recent game. Where as a second move set or clone would be stupid given the uniqueness of the character).

Otherwise, I don't mind a few for the hell of it like:

- Wario/Retro outfit Wario

- Mario/Dr Mario/Retro Mario (The Doc doesn't deserve his own slot IMO)

- Skyward Link/Twilight Link

- Toon Link/Young Link

But I don't want any characters changing within the same slot (i.e. Sonic/Shadow, when Shadow would better suite being a clone than an alt) as I believe it undermines the original characters.

Not everyone needs an alternate costume either. Just the ones where it really makes sense like the above.

oniJohn

Smash Rookie
I'm not a fan of costumes that are another character, there is already so much potential with costumes that are just costumes!
like :
- Mario : sunglasses mario with sunshine shirt, dr. mario, hammer mario…
- Samus : fusion suit, light suit, phazon suit, fusion zero samus, retro zero samus…
- Link : I agree we can have different link like : skyword, twiligtht, farmer outfit of twilight, skyloft one of skyward, blue zora outfit of twilight…
- Luigi : Mr. L, bee suit, princess peach's dress…
- DK : not that much but he can wear his Punch Out's gloves…
- Snake : old snake, james bond suited snake…
- Bowser : dry bowser, wedding bowser…

There are really a lot of possibility!

max.

Smash Rookie
Costumes should still portray characters in a iconic way. If characters have multiple costumes then it'd be cool to see some more obscure references. Anyway, here's some of my ideas.

Sonic: Super Sonic-- This shouldn't effect his Final Smash. He just gains new abilities when he's in Final Smash mode. He could even transform into Hyper Sonic when he's wearing a Super Sonic costume.

Solid Snake: MGS-- I always thought his original costume should have been his costume in Brawl. This is a no-brainer.

Donkey Kong: DK Jr.-- We haven't seen this guy in a while. He doesn't deserve to be a playable character but his design is bit iconic. There also rumored to either be the same character or father & son.

Pikachu: Raichu or Pichu-- I'm not sure if this could work with hit boxes and all. This would be ideal, though. Raichu would prolly work a little better with it's size.

Captain Falcon: Blood Falcon-- Change a bunch of little things you'll notice he looks different outside of his color scheme. Make sure he has that grin too.

Mario: Dr. Mario-- Make the former playable character into a alt. costume for Mario.

Adrian G

Smash Rookie
I LOVE THIS IDEA! My brain is already swarming with ideas. For Link you could unlock The Zorra suit, and the magic armor from TP Or maybe even Fierce Deity Link! Mario can get Tanooki suit, and penguin suit. Samus can have all those different suits that she has. OH THE POSSIBILITIES! And my hopes are high for this because of Namco Bandai. Look at their awesome work with alternate costumes and character creation modes in Soul Calibur!

TheKalmarKing

Smash Apprentice
Snake ---> Tuxedo Snake, or Iroquois Pliskin. Or hell Old Snake. But only Tuxedo Snake is possible, others are Sony exclusive.

Mario ---> Why not Hatless Mario? Simple but cool.

Ike and Marth ---> FE Awakening DLC costumes.

DittoMaster6

Smash Cadet
I'm personally with some people in this thread who want alternate character swaps, and those who'd like aesthetic changes to some of their moves, without changing the gameplay of those characters. The most common example being Dr. Mario, of course. Having voice swaps, name swaps, and one or two aesthetic swaps could expand the roster by an incredible amount without over-representing some franchises, or giving characters not deserving a separate spot a chance to be in Smash.

However, I'm not to keen on unlocking the alternate costumes. I'd rather unlock the character and have all the costumes there from the start. But hey, that's just me.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
The only way I see unlockable costumes working is if they're on a system like the Mii Hats, in which case no thank you. Unlockable stuff is less of a thing now as it is (the number of unlockable characters in Melee nearly doubled its starting roster) and costumes just don't seem right for it like characters and stages do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom