• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alola's Arboreal Archer - The Decidueye for Smash Thread (RIP the dream)

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Decidueye still has the ghost archer niche going for him in addition to his grass abilities.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I think that a Sun/Moon 'mon has a decent shot, but what Decidueye had going for him is a little less relevant with the return of Ivysaur. Granted, there's always the chance they could double-dip each starter type and give us both Decidueye and an older fire starter with lots of popularity - Blaziken comes to mind - but Decidueye's chances are a bit smaller. He does have lots of competition not only from other 'mon but with other series due to limited roster space. Don't know how likely I see him anymore, but I definitely want to bring him in.

Seraphii

Smash Rookie
Still looking forward to decidueye. Rowlet line is the most popular starter line this time round for sun/moon which was a significant game for pokemon as it coincides with pokemon 20th anniversary.

Being in pokken may affect its chances if the reasoning was that sakurai may not want duplication. On the other hand, decidueye was kinda the poster boy for pokken, so he might also be in for the relevance / promotion towards pokken.

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu Libre was in Pokken Tournament and is now a costume for Pikachu, so I don't think being in Pokken Tournament is necessarily an obstacle for Decidueye. I really do hope he makes it in.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Love to have Decidueye in smash but Im not sure if Sakurai will add 2 grass starters like the water starters the only character thats kinda likely and popular sun and moon Mimikyu. Mimikyu is well known in Japan and has it on song I kinda want to see Pikachu vs Mimikyu oh I need this to happen. I know it may not matter being Im thinking realistic.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Love to have Decidueye in smash but Im not sure if Sakurai will add 2 grass starters like the water starters the only character thats kinda likely and popular sun and moon Mimikyu. Mimikyu is well known in Japan and has it on song I kinda want to see Pikachu vs Mimikyu oh I need this to happen. I know it may not matter being Im thinking realistic.
I guess the main question is, how exactly would Mimikyu fight? That's why I'm more willing to bet on any of the Alolan starters (they're all pretty popular), or Lycanroc.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
OK, so that tail-like club of his gives him significant reach when combined with it's Ghost-type attacks, and it could easily use Shadow Ball as a projectile attack. Plus, it could get other moves, which would diversify its movepool a little. I still find the concept of a Smash Bros. fighter without walk cycles weird, but it could work.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hard-to say how good the avian archers chances are. I'm happy about the roster regardless and still support our owl hero/heroine regardless.

D

Deleted member

Sorry for the double-post. Decidueye still has my support as usual I hope it's chances are good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Soooo... today I finally bought Pokken DX today. I had a bad feeling that Decidueye wasn't going to be in Smash Ultimate... so I got Pokken DX for Decidueye. At least the owl is a playable fighter in that game (still salty that Meowth isn't even in that game at all).

D

Deleted member

Good idea enjoy the game. If anything Decidueye is there. That's something.

Seraphii

Smash Rookie
Soooo... today I finally bought Pokken DX today. I had a bad feeling that Decidueye wasn't going to be in Smash Ultimate... so I got Pokken DX for Decidueye. At least the owl is a playable fighter in that game (still salty that Meowth isn't even in that game at all).
Pokken is no.9 best selling switch game according to nintendo sales report april. Being kinda the promotional boy for pokken, i think decidueye still got a good chance, to represent pokemon sun and pokken

D

Deleted member

So, we've just recived confirmation that the project plan for Smash Ultimate was finished in December 2015.
Looking at Greninja, it's safe to assume that whoever the Pokemon newcomer is going to be, it's gonna be based off concept art.
This effectively eliminates Lycanroc, one of Decidueye's main sources of competition, as his concept art is not very detailed and therefore doesn't seem to have a lot of things that Sakurai could make an easy moveset out of like with Greninja.

Plus, Dusk Lycanroc is all but disconfirmed, and seeing as it's the most prominently promoted Lycanroc forms, this is a serious blow to Lycanroc's chances.
I also have two possible theories about why Decidueye was chosen for Pokken.
  1. Sakurai thought Decidueye's concept art looked appealing and therefore chose it for Smash. Therefore, the Pokemon company decided to promote Decidueye by adding him into another fighting game, Pokken.
  2. Sakurai thought Decidueye's concept art looked appealing, but passed on it in favor of a different mon, and TPCi added Decidueye into Pokken as a consolation prize.
Regardless of which one of those theories is true, this is the most optimstic I've ever felt regarding Decidueye's chances. We may have another grass starter in Ivysaur, but seeing as his moveset does not at all overlap with Decidueye's potential, we shouldn't rule out our archer boi just yet.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Haven't played Sun and Moon. Though I have played Ultra Moon, and it's actually pretty good. I beat the whole game within 2 weeks! I support!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pokken is no.9 best selling switch game according to nintendo sales report april. Being kinda the promotional boy for pokken, i think decidueye still got a good chance, to represent pokemon sun and pokken
Where do I find Nintendo sales reports? I want to see how Captain Toad Treasure Tracker for the Wii U did.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
This pretty much kills off the possibility of any ARMS fighter making it into the game (just as an example), but I think a Pokémon from Generation VII like Lycanroc who didn't have good concept art could still be part of the game since Sakurai could easily have had just put "Pokémon from Generation VII" in that that project plan and then decided on the specifics later. As far I understand, anyway.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So, we've just recived confirmation that the project plan for Smash Ultimate was finished in December 2015.
Looking at Greninja, it's safe to assume that whoever the Pokemon newcomer is going to be, it's gonna be based off concept art.
This effectively eliminates Lycanroc, one of Decidueye's main sources of competition, as his concept art is not very detailed and therefore doesn't seem to have a lot of things that Sakurai could make an easy moveset out of like with Greninja.
Why do people assume Greninja must've been designed using just one sheet of concept art, anyway? If you were in the shoes of the designers, would you really feel up to the task building an entire moveset for a character, complete with animations, personality, and all, with only a single sheet of paper as reference? There had to have been more the Smash team had access to for Greninja that just hasn't been brought up, such as design notes and lore at minimum, and it stands to think the same would apply here. I don't think we should assume Sakurai and his team based their decision for anyone from Gen 7 on the single sheets of concept art we've seen and nothing else.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why do people assume Greninja must've been designed using just one sheet of concept art, anyway? If you were in the shoes of the designers, would you really feel up to the task building an entire moveset for a character, complete with animations, personality, and all, with only a single sheet of paper as reference? There had to have been more the Smash team had access to for Greninja that just hasn't been brought up, such as design notes and lore at minimum, and it stands to think the same would apply here. I don't think we should assume Sakurai and his team based their decision for anyone from Gen 7 on the single sheets of concept art we've seen and nothing else.
There's no concrete evidence to support either sides of the argument.
That said, it might be a bit too early to completely cross Lycanroc's name off the list, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Sceptile was my most wanted Pokemon for Smash but I definitely see Decidueye representing Gen 7 in Smash. I made these for you guys

D

Deleted member

Come on Decidueye we need you in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate hang tight and be added!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Y’know Decidueye has been in a very rock prediction cycle. He went from Shoo in, to likely, then to unlikely, then back to likely, and now maybe 50-50. We really need a confirmation quick on who is going to get in.

It’s interesting seeing how people changed their opinions on this character so drastically with new info coming out. What are your thoughts on this?

D

Deleted member

Y’know Decidueye has been in a very rock prediction cycle. He went from Shoo in, to likely, then to unlikely, then back to likely, and now maybe 50-50. We really need a confirmation quick on who is going to get in.

It’s interesting seeing how people changed their opinions on this character so drastically with new info coming out. What are your thoughts on this?
You bring up a very good point, I guess people think maybe Incineroar, or Lycanroc, or Mimikyu have a good choice. Or they doubt Decidueye's chances. Regardless I think it's support is strong no matter how up and down it can be at times.

D

Deleted member

I'm glad the support for the avian archer is high, it just shows how popular it is, and how much of a fan demand it has.

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
I support! Although Decidueye wouldn't be the only grass type anymore, due to Ivysaur, it would still be incredibly unique

D

Deleted member

I just had a really cool idea for Decidueye.
What if its Down Smash was like Snake's old Down Smash, except instead of planting a motion sensing mine, he'd stick an exploding arrow?
I'm not sure how well it fits the zoner archetype, but I think it'd be really cool regardless. What do you think?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I just had a really cool idea for Decidueye.
What if its Down Smash was like Snake's old Down Smash, except instead of planting a motion sensing mine, he'd stick an exploding arrow?
I'm not sure how well it fits the zoner archetype, but I think it'd be really cool regardless. What do you think?
Has there ever been an "exploding arrow" move in his home series?

D

Deleted member

Has there ever been an "exploding arrow" move in his home series?
No, but the arrow in Spirit Shackles' animation creates an explosion.
Besides, it's not like Smash hasn't taken some creative liberties in the past.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I'm starting to get tired of waiting. I just want to know if Decidueye will be playable or not. Then I wouldn't mind not getting any more news before the game releases. I really hope he gets in over the other Gen 7 Pokemon, otherwise I'll lose some of my respect for Sakurai, just some though. I'm still grateful for everything else he's done.

D

Deleted member

An exploding arrow placed huh? Maybe spirit shackle? Yeah I like the idea. Sounds good.

D

Deleted member

I'm starting to get tired of waiting. I just want to know if Decidueye will be playable or not. Then I wouldn't mind not getting any more news before the game releases. I really hope he gets in over the other Gen 7 Pokemon, otherwise I'll lose some of my respect for Sakurai, just some though. I'm still grateful for everything else he's done.
Tell me about it, lol.
I just want this to finally be over so that I will finally be able to breathe easy.
I wouldn't lose my respect for him at all personally, but I will be significantly less pleased in a situation where a different Gen 7 mon is playable (particularly Mimikyu, though I've made a somewhat uneasy peace with it)

D

Deleted member

Yeah couple more months, and hopefully updates galore we'll find out if our Robinhoot archer is in soon .

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I've actually already come up with an idea of what Decidueye's specials and Final Smash could be.

Neutral Special: Spirit Shackle (an arrow is fired and stuns the foe if hit)
Side Special: Leafage (a flurry of sharp leaves is launched; direction of attack depends on whether Decidueye is grounded or in the air)
Down Special: Giga Drain (works similarly to Nosferatu, but has more range and more end-lag if it misses)
Up Special: Brave Bird (acts as recovery and also deals a lot of damage to foes while causing recoil like Flare Blitz)
Final Smash: Sinister Arrow Raid (launches many arrows and inflicts massive damage, KOing any foe that has taken enough damage prior)

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
If Squirtle and Greninja can coexist, I see no reason why Ivysaur and Decidueye can't. Their playstyles would be nothing alike, and that matters more than them sharing the grass type.

Not sure about Charizard, but we at least know Mewtwo still uses its Mega Evolution as its final smash, but none of the Pokemon use a Z-Move, which I think is a boon to Decidueye's chances. Sinister Arrow Raid is just begging to be a final smash, and I believe Smash likes to stay current with major updates to Pokemon mechanics like Z-Moves and Mega Evolutions.

Decidueye is far from guaranteed to make it, but I like its chances.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm not certain we'll get a new Pokemon rep, but if we do I hope it's Decidueye (Well Sceptile actually cause he was my first starter, but I've long since accepted his chances as basically none). Mostly because Ivysaur to me isn't the best grass rep. Another character focusing more on range and projectiles is a great idea to me.

I'll throw my hat in for supporting his inclusion as a result. He's certainly someone I wouldn't be surprised to see, nor upset in any way, even a little happy (In huge part because I'm so done with Gen 1 representation in the game)

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
https://www.gamnesia.com/news/how-does-sakurai-choose-pokemon-to-smash

"Well first of all, we talk with the Pokemon company. What’s the hot Pokemon? What Pokemon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front...
...For example, X and Y are coming out [at the time the article was published] – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokemon going forward...
...But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things."

"we look at the animated series or movies"
Even though I really want Decidueye in badly and still think he has a shot, I feel like this part right here hurts his chances. Decidueye has not had any exposure and prominence in the Pikachu: I Choose You movie or the anime in which his only appearance so far has been jobbing to the Masked Royal's stupid Incineroar. Ash's Rowlet still hasn't evolved yet either. I really wish the awful anime didn't influence Smash so much.

Top Bottom