• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All smashers, please fill this form out, for Gamecube controllers for smash 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessokman

Smash Lord
The only option is really for Nintendo to add controller-over-USB functionality to the console, although to be fair, the functionality may already be there for future planned peripherals or something. I can't imagine that Nintendo added two USB ports just so that we could connect one USB hard drive and never ever use the other.
Two could be a precaution in the case that one stops functioning

BentoBox

Smash Master
I like how people are STILL missing the big picture with all this.

Again, we need WIRED CONTROLLER SUPPORT. At least then we don't have to freaking petition, which isn't going to work unless it was like last year's EVO, for an old controller design. I know some of you don't care for third party controllers, but certain ones have gotten rather good in their quality. If there is demand from a competitive audience, the precious GCC will be remade by a third party.
Madcatz would be in the best position to pull off such an endeavor seeing as they're already greatly supporting the FGC scene, except Arcade sticks span over a much wider set of games whereas wired GC-like controllers would really only appeal to Smash4 (assuming they're USB-connected). It's a niche within a niche. In any case, the petition should be targetted at such companies instead of Nintendo which has already vehemently expressed it's dislike for competitive scenes.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
No, as there is the possibility of Gamecube VC games. That being said, we have survived playing N64 games with a Classic Controller so that's a moot point I suppose.

BentoBox

Smash Master
But you're asking for a wired controller. It's that characteristic that makes it appeal to our community alone for aforementioned reasons. They could very well make a Gc-look alike that would be wireless just like all the other options currently available but that wouldn't appease y'all now would it?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I'm definitely for this, we need a wired option and the Gamecube controller is like a stick for SF.

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
Do you people really think Nintendo will actually make a controller similar to the GC one just to make competitive smashers happy? Do you know how much the smash community means to nintendo?? We are still lucky that nintendo hasn't tried to shut the boards down. The best advice is to start buying wii u's, pro controllers and adapt to it.

Sorry for being all negative but i am just being realistic with you guys.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I can't believe this topic is still going. How many people have signed this? Even if we did get a GC lookalike controller, like others have said, it most definitely won't be wired. There's just not enough demand to make a profit.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Would you all please stop suckling nintendo's ancient nipples and get used to new controllers already.
Or better yet, petition for a dualshock rip off.

王女 クマトラ

Outta my way, dammit!
NNID
ChieSatonaka
Signed, along with a couple others I've seen. Although I agree people could use the Wii U Pro Controller, I see no reason Nintendo shouldn't make a GC themed version, considering it would sell like hotcakes among competitive smashers like me and the few thousand others who signed. Anyways, I wouldn't mind if they didn't make one, but I don't see why they shouldn't.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I
Would you all please stop suckling nintendo's ancient nipples and get used to new controllers already.
Because people are complaining about change and not the fact that the controller is ****. "You need to deal with change!!!!!1!" is not a valid argument, because change doesn't automatically make things better. The Wii U Pro Controller is unintuitive and horrible to play with, and the only reason I continue to use it is because at least it's better than the ****ing Gamepad.

C3CC

Smash Lord
The Pro Controller is just fine. Do you expect being able to use that controller forever? Let it go.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Lol what if when smash 5 comes out and people whine for a "wii u pro controller look a like" I would probably lol then demand a GameCube controller and have a tantrum like a brat.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
You must be using it wrong :awesome:.

IMO the Wii U Pro is the best controller I've ever used, mainly because my hands/fingers are big/long.
I am the same exact way I have really big hands so its more comfortable for me to use the pro controller. Right now I'm saving up for a 3ds xl because my hands got too big for the normal one.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Lol what if when smash 5 comes out and people whine for a "wii u pro controller look a like" I would probably lol then demand a GameCube controller and have a tantrum like a brat.
May as well ask for a 360 controller because the Pro Controller is that but smaller with the right analog stick placed above the buttons for some unbelievably stupid reason

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Because people are complaining about change and not the fact that the controller is ****. "You need to deal with change!!!!!1!" is not a valid argument, because change doesn't automatically make things better. The Wii U Pro Controller is unintuitive and horrible to play with, and the only reason I continue to use it is because at least it's better than the ****ing Gamepad.
I hope you know how opinions work. Just because you say it's horrible doesn't mean it's a valid argument, either. Dealing with change is perhaps the only realistic solution because Nintendo isn't going to make a GameCube-type controller.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I hope you know how opinions work. Just because you say it's horrible doesn't mean it's a valid argument, either.
I kind of expect people to piece together the fact that this is my opinion without me having to put in a massive disclaimer assuring the reader that this is, indeed, the case. No ****ing **** it's my opinion and not everybody shares it. It kind of goes without saying. You give your opinion, I give reasons as to why I disagree with that opinion. That's how this whole "discussion" thing goes.

I'll say that in retrospect my posts were awfully b*tchy and confrontational, though, and probably made me sound like a major asshole. Hindsight is 20/20

Last edited:

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why some of you object to this petition so vehemently. If you like the pro-controller just fine, great. Don't act so dismissive of others who would love to play this game with a controller they are personally more comfortable with. It's worth a shot, and it's not like it takes anything away from you guys. Some people can be so confrontational.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
You guys are still arguing about this? You're all going in circles now.

Either sign the petition and get out or don't sign it and stay out. Seriously.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
I kind of expect people to piece together the fact that this is my opinion without me having to put in a massive disclaimer assuring the reader that this is, indeed, the case. No ****ing **** it's my opinion and not everybody shares it. It kind of goes without saying. You give your opinion, I give reasons as to why I disagree with that opinion. That's how this whole "discussion" thing goes.

I'll say that in retrospect my posts were awfully b*tchy and confrontational, though, and probably made me sound like a major *******. Hindsight is 20/20
Well, blatantly calling something out doesn't really help since you can make objective statements otherwise.

I don't know why some of you object to this petition so vehemently. If you like the pro-controller just fine, great. Don't act so dismissive of others who would love to play this game with a controller they are personally more comfortable with. It's worth a shot, and it's not like it takes anything away from you guys. Some people can be so confrontational.
As much as I would like to support this, let's be realistic. This is Nintendo we're talking about. The Wii U is in a dire situation right now, and the whole thing about it is already confusing as it is with many other controllers and accessories supported. Another hardware accessory isn't going to help but benefit to a small minority. The process of manufacturing another piece of hardware isn't simple as it requires more R&D, manufacturing, marketing, and other costs. Saying that Nintendo can manufacture more GameCube controllers without any effort is just easier said than done.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
SIGNED!

I don't own a Wii U or plan to buy one, but the NGC controller was by far the best controller ever made by Nintendo. Wii remote was a gimmick 90% of the time, only maximizing its potential in certain first/second party games like Metroid Prime 3. Wii U tablet looks neat but IMO would have been better as a stand alone product (replacing the Wii U console and going for a straight up gaming tablet, merge the console and handheld markets and make a KILLING). There is also the problem with wireless connectivity. Wii remote is a pain in the ass to deal with at tournaments and you really need to provide people with a wired option of some sort. Wii U pro is basically a 360 rip off, and even though the 360 controller is the best ever made IMO, it's not so great for some games, particularly fighters and even more particularly the Smash series.

If anything, Nintendo could release an adapter to plug the NGC into a USB port on the Wii U. Cheap, solves problems, people can continue to use their NGC controllers they already own. I don't expect them to do much of anything considering the state of the Wii U sales, but Nintendo really needs to pull their head out of the ground and actually listen to their fans for a change. They are so stuck in their ways and refuse to admit when they lost and it will only end with them going the way of Sega. Just watch.

MoonlapseOpethian

Smash Journeyman
All the complaining about people wanting the Gamecube controller... for shame.

If you don't like it, fine. If you think we're living in the past, fine, but if we want to use a controller we're comfortable with instead of adapting (I plan to try both, so why not just sign it even if you don't plan to use it? The more options, the merrier.) we should be able to without being called "melee purists" I started playing competitively through Brawl, and STILL prefer the Gamecube controller because of the layout and fluidity of it. The Wii U Pro controller looks rad, but I'd like both options.

Long story short, don't automatically assume that people are doing this because they ONLY want the Gamecube controller. Some people just want the flexibility to use more controllers. Even if you don't plan to "live in the past", is it really a big deal to take two minutes to sign a petition that might (Key word here is "might") help out the people who want to use it? Heck, you yourselves might even want to try using it for Smash 4 every now and then. It's not like anyone here actually DISLIKES the Gamecube controller...

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Do i like gamecube controllers?
-yes
Do i have anything to lose by signing this?
-no

Don't see why this is such a big deal, everyone should sign this thing, if Nintendo actually agrees to it (which they probably won't) it's not gonna hurt anyone.
And besides, the competitive players are a big and important part of the Smash community, pay them some respect yo!

Do you people really think Nintendo will actually make a controller similar to the GC one just to make competitive smashers happy? Do you know how much the smash community means to nintendo?? We are still lucky that nintendo hasn't tried to shut the boards down. The best advice is to start buying wii u's, pro controllers and adapt to it.

Sorry for being all negative but i am just being realistic with you guys.
Or better yet, petition for a dualshock rip off.

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
Done. Signed it. Will it make a difference though? I feel like Nintendo wont care

C3CC

Smash Lord
So, all in all, what you guys are saying is that when Smash, say, 10 comes out, you're STILL going to ask for the GameCube controller? :S

So, all in all, what you guys are saying is that when Smash, say, 10 comes out, you're STILL going to ask for the GameCube controller? :S
Yup.

Like someone said earlier in this thread, the GC controller for Smash is like an Arcade Stick for Street Fighter. Not only that, the controller just feels so good. For it's time it was also innovative since it introduced pressure sensitive triggers and was the inspiration behind the design of the Xbox Controller.

If all else I'm sure many people will use the pro controller if the GC controller adapter doesn't work out, but the Pro controller is eh..it just--sucks; for smash at least to me. If the right stick we're inverted it would be more bearable the the buttons being located below the analog is an awkward scheme that I personally never experienced in console controllers.

With that said, the controller is amazing for FPS games. Gives you the stability of an XBox controller with the parallel sticks of a PS3 controller. It would probably be good for traditional fighters as well. The way it stands I feel like the Pro controller is alright, just not too great for smash.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
I bet the wii u gamepad actually feels easier to use than the pro controller.

I

Because people are complaining about change and not the fact that the controller is ****.
They're smash players, they complain about both more than you would like to think.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Say... I have a question.
Implying that this somehow comes through, how can it be wired? If I'm correct (using Nintendo's logic here), the "GCN" controllers would be wireless, which will cause lag...
"But wait!" you tell me. "What about the USB ports?" Tell me, how many USB ports are on a Wii U? Two you tell me? Well then, how are we gonna do doubles?

(And be fore anyone yells at me, I'm just curious. I'm not blasting the petition, I'm just pointing out some problems that would need to be overcome.)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Say... I have a question.
Implying that this somehow comes through, how can it be wired? If I'm correct (using Nintendo's logic here), the "GCN" controllers would be wireless, which will cause lag...
"But wait!" you tell me. "What about the USB ports?" Tell me, how many USB ports are on a Wii U? Two you tell me? Well then, how are we gonna do doubles?

(And be fore anyone yells at me, I'm just curious. I'm not blasting the petition, I'm just pointing out some problems that would need to be overcome.)
Wii-U has 4 I believe. 2 in the front and 2 in the back.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
They should be in that little slot you open next to where you put in the disc.
I see them now...
Though it seems rather complicated... Might be a hassle getting the two in the back...
But that still doesn't solve the wireless problem. Remember, this is Nintendo we're talking about. If this petition does go through, I don't think they're is gonna make them wired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom