• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All Purpose Donkey Kong Thread

Quillion

Smash Hero
It amuses me how much of a "greener on the other side" mentality people have when it comes to video game series.

On one hand, we got Pokémon fans begging Game Freak to slow down so that each game can be a more fulfilling experience.

On the other hand, we got DK fans begging Nintendo to milk the franchise.

I know some of you guys have got to be fans of both, so make up your mind.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It amuses me how much of a "greener on the other side" mentality people have when it comes to video game series.

On one hand, we got Pokémon fans begging Game Freak to slow down so that each game can be a more fulfilling experience.

I mean, I don't know how big the crossover is between the two franchises, but even if there are fans complaining about both, it's a perfectly valid criticism. I don't even necessarily 100% agree with all of the criticisms, but your acting like both series have the exact same output. One series has an extremely rapid pace of release. The other series has an extremely slow pace of release. Most people want a happy medium between the two.

It's like if you went to a restaurant, and the only two choices for your drink size are a tiny cup 2 inches tall, or a giant 2 gallon mug. When most people complain about said drink sizes, the owner tells them "Well? Do you think the drinks are too small or too big? Make up your mind!". That's essentially the equivalent of your post.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

wow that is just rude. are trying to bait people. you must realise there's a difference between wanting one game series to take sometime to polish the game and iron out the bugs and wanting another games series to get a new game when the last completely new game was on the last console

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I don't think that wanting an additional game when the last one was released 10 years ago really qualifies as wanting the franchise milked.

Especially in an era where the likes of Fire Emblem & Zelda are getting more frequent releases and spin-offs, it doesn't feel like that much of an ask to get one new DK title.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Especially in an era where the likes of Fire Emblem & Zelda are getting more frequent releases and spin-offs, it doesn't feel like that much of an ask to get one new DK title.
I thought Zelda releases have gotten really infrequent ever since BotW, including spin-offs.

Anyway, I made that post because I've gotten so annoyed and frustrated with all the whining over how Nintendo supposedly "doesn't see the value of the series". Maybe it's just me being burned with frequent meager releases in franchises such as mainline Pokémon and the Mario sports and part spin-offs as of late, but once again, I don't like, but LOVE, that DK is a very quality-over-quantity series as of yet.

Nintendo isn't going to emergency-release a DK game as "filler" anymore, nor will they reuse the general engine of TF to make new levels while retaining the same mechanics. Heck, considering that the DK series arguably declined in quality past DKC2 and definitely during the Paon spin-off era, there's even more reason to not milk DK anymore.

And believe me, I know what it's like to be vocal about series that aren't getting attention from their owners. I was once like that with Star Fox, F-Zero, and Wario platformers. But constantly whining about that every other post in a thread has frustrated me to the point where I've folded even on the series that I like and aren't getting attention either. And I bet that it's driving others away too.

Ugh, I just had to get my annoyance at DK whining off my chest.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I guess for me, there comes a point where things go from a genuinely laudable restraint in not putting out too many games for a series to a point where the lack of any sort of presence by a series with games arguably becomes a bit harmful. Because the thing is not just a lack of actual titles (though that is the main source of discontent for the fans), its the lack of overall use of the property for various things. Maybe Nintendo is too creator/studio driven to the point where we can't get a new DKC title without someone pushing for it and/or a team available for it sure; even then there could still be a more concentrated effort in making DK elements a bit more prominent in various other releases.

Diddy & Dixie Kong in mainline Mario Kart, DKC themed boards in Mario Party, the likes of DKR and the GBA trilogy on NSO, a Donkey Kong theme for Tetris 99, and probably countless other possibilities. Look, its wrong to assume that Nintendo doesn't care about an IP (especially given its semi-prominence in a big motion picture) but given the overall activity of the series in the last 10 years, I can't say I entirely blame anyone for feeling that way. Moreover, no first party franchise exists in a vacuum. When one looks at the revivals and elevations of so many series thanks to the success of the Switch, the initial response to DK not being a part of that for a lot of people is not going to gratitude at it not being watered down by numerous releases, its disappointment that a franchise they like seemingly isn't getting a seat at the table. I mean Sonic has its major share of ups and downs, realistically due to likely having a more games than it needed, but to be honest, I'd gladly take some of that uneven quality just to experience more of the DKC characters and settings.

As far as the recent leaks with the Direct I can only say this:
If Mario vs DK is all we get, I hope for the sake of those fans that the response by others isn't too venomous and that those excited by it are allowed to express their positivity without being shut down. I don't really have much interest in that line of games and I don't think success wise it will ever get close to being as popular as the Country releases, but it deserves better than the likely scorn it will probably get for not being a DKC game. Fingers crossed that maybe they announce they're working on a major DK game to soften the blow, but we'll see.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

At the very least we can say that Pokemon always had a steady development team behind it with GameFreak and the Pokemon Company. And when asked, every other developer is thrilled to work with the brand.

Shamefully we can't state the first part with DK. The second part luckily holds true, but not for long enough. I still feel both Rare and Retro should've made DK a much bigger priority than they did. It's still weird to me they ported DKC TF to Switch and had it's engine fullly available yet didn't pull out another DKC....

Also!! I loved PAON. The Climber games where excellent, especially Jungle Climber on DS.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
To be clear, I do think there are some franchises that either can handle being milked or absolutely SHOULD be milked. Call of Duty and Persona can handle being milked. Mario and Pokémon should be milked.

Donkey Kong though? I think most everything after DKC2 and prior to DKCR shows that the series doesn't hold much value if made with more quantity as opposed to more quality. Diddy Kong Racing only held up because they haphazardly slapped Diddy and a Kremling onto what was supposed to be an original IP (which worked, don't get me wrong).

Heck, I think even the cast of Donkey Kong should take a "quality over quantity" approach. I think the only essential Kongs are Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, and Funky honestly. Wrinkly I could take or leave, and Lanky could at least stay as a funny "Big the Cat" light cameo character, but everyone else should go.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Why on Earth would you wish for a franchise to be "milked" - if you don't get a share of the benefits?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Crazy but I could see DK and maybe Diddy fit into Super Mario Wonder for some reason.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Great to see more Kongs in Mario Kart! Having Diddy and Funky back, alongside Pauline and Peachette, goes a long way to making the roster feel complete. Sad that Dixie couldn't also make the jump from Tour though, I guess she'll be saved for the next entry, but I'm glad DK isn't the only Kong anymore.
This was one of the best parts of the Direct for sure. I actually ordered Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because of Diddy being included finally.

Shame the only other DK appearance was Mario vs Donkey Kong. Weird. Especially after the Mario Movie I expected their next crossover to be different, more collaborative at least.

I swear I'm a bit bored with all these leakers continuously mentoining DK getting it's announcement all the time, and it never coming to be. It's a meme at this point.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Call it petty but Mario vs DK being a remake actually softened the blow of not getting a new DKC release. Getting a new entry in the former before the latter would have bugged the heck out of me, but an HD version with some bells and whistles? I can live with that.

Also Peachette should have clearly been Dixie, but even getting both Diddy and Funky was a treat in a and of itself so I can't really complain.

I do think that this Direct has largely confirmed we're not getting a new mainline Country release on the Switch, but given that NatetheHate and Jeff Grubb have confirmed that Nintendo EAD is working on a Donkey Kong title that isn't Mario vs. DK, I think we're in for one hell of a great game for the Switch 2's first year.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Call it petty but Mario vs DK being a remake actually softened the blow of not getting a new DKC release. Getting a new entry in the former before the latter would have bugged the heck out of me, but an HD version with some bells and whistles? I can live with that.

Also Peachette should have clearly been Dixie, but even getting both Diddy and Funky was a treat in a and of itself so I can't really complain.

I do think that this Direct has largely confirmed we're not getting a new mainline Country release on the Switch, but given that NatetheHate and Jeff Grubb have confirmed that Nintendo EAD is working on a Donkey Kong title that isn't Mario vs. DK, I think we're in for one hell of a great game for the Switch 2's first year.
I don't know about that. What I took notice of is some games that where announced next Direct, on our current system, have a rather late release date. Some as far as May and June if I recall? There is hope yet. Also the DK model of the Mario vs DK remake seems quite inspired by the Retro games. Dunno what to think of it, I probably won't play it regardless.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Player Super Mario Wonder now, and it having a strong DKC feel it gives me all the more trust that Nintendo is gonna deliver something great for us!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly with the use of badges and more interactive map, I'm more reminded of Yooka Laylee & the Impossible Lair than anything else.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Definitely! With the 2.5 segments of being in the background and the silhouette segments, the game took some inspiration from the Retro DKC games for sure !

Honestly with the use of badges and more interactive map, I'm more reminded of Yooka Laylee & the Impossible Lair than anything else.
This too. Also, that game was also hugely inspired by the Retro DKC games.

So overall, yes.

I want a DKC game like this. It's familiar and a breath of fresh air at the same time. Do highly recommend.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I still want DK in Wonder as DLC, but he should be a "skin" for Mario so that he plays differently in both Mario and in his own series.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Close up of a Donkey Kong-themed bag from Super Nintendo World, featuring a new Dixie Kong render!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Lenidem

Smash Lord
New Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong themed Power Up Bands have been added to the 6 from Mario for Super Nintendo World.

Super Nintendo World Power Up Bands
That's the first time I see the letters "DD" for Diddy Kong. I understand that they want to differenciate his logo from Donkey's, but it feels wierd. I mean, his name is not Diddy Dong...

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
That's the first time I see the letters "DD" for Diddy Kong. I understand that they want to differenciate his logo from Donkey's, but it feels wierd. I mean, his name is not Diddy Dong...
I believe DD was used in DKC Tropical Freeze when we had multiple Kong partners and thus had to create unique barrels for all of them.

Diddy Kong Barrel from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky Kong Barrels from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Yeah, it's a little weird since there's no D in Diddy's last name, but in order to differentiate both Diddy and Dixie's barrels, they just took both of the letters for their barrels from their first name (Cranky got to keep the K in his barrel because he's the only one with a first name that doesn't start with D). Specifically the first letter of the second syllable of their first name (Di-Ddy Kong, Di-Xie Kong). I guess it's probably the most fitting solution.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I believe DD was used in DKC Tropical Freeze when we had multiple Kong partners and thus had to create unique barrels for all of them.

Diddy Kong Barrel from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky Kong Barrels from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Yeah, it's a little weird since there's no D in Diddy's last name, but in order to differentiate both Diddy and Dixie's barrels, they just took both of the letters for their barrels from their first name (Cranky got to keep the K in his barrel because he's the only one with a first name that doesn't start with D). Specifically the first letter of the second syllable of their first name (Di-Ddy Kong, Di-Xie Kong). I guess it's probably the most fitting solution.
And in this game, Diddy's color is... blue? That also feels wrong.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Well, everyone, it's a brand-new year, and not just any year. This years marks the 30th anniversary of Donkey Kong Country.

Here's hoping we get something good out of it.

Top Bottom