• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Looking at your choice of character, it is probably because you play Fox in every other iteration of Smash Bros. I can't speak for Smash 64, but Fox was an extremely technical character that required a lot of inputs in Melee and Project M. Brawl Fox was also highly technical and quick relative to the rest of the cast. This is definitely not the case with Fox in Smash4, so your discomfort with the game may result from the relatively slower speed and lack of inputs Fox requires in Smash 4. While I understand your issues, I don't think that's a very good reason to write off the game completely.
What are you talking about I play DK

Troubled Fish

Smash Rookie
NNID
Deeboonie
3DS FC
3136-6693-6395
So do you need to sign up to start showing up to the University meet ups on friday? I live in Medicine Hat, but I'll hopefully be moving to Calgary if I get accepted to SAIT.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
So do you need to sign up to start showing up to the University meet ups on friday? I live in Medicine Hat, but I'll hopefully be moving to Calgary if I get accepted to SAIT.
Yep. The university meet-ups are run by a club, Smash Bros. University, and club policies requires a club fee. It's only $5 for the whole semester though. You can just show up to a meeting and sign up there. Good luck on the SAIT acceptance!

Out of curiosity, what Smash games do you mostly play?

Troubled Fish

Smash Rookie
NNID
Deeboonie
3DS FC
3136-6693-6395
Yep. The university meet-ups are run by a club, Smash Bros. University, and club policies requires a club fee. It's only $5 for the whole semester though. You can just show up to a meeting and sign up there. Good luck on the SAIT acceptance!

Out of curiosity, what Smash games do you mostly play?
Cool! A $5 signup fee for an entire semester isn't too bad. And thank you I'd really like to go to SAIT haha

I mostly play Melee and Smash 4, however I have a fairly good understanding of Brawl and 64 as well. PM is something I've tried but never competitively. I've never been in a real tournament (Our public library hosted one that didn't have many great players) however I'm hoping to participate in the tournament during Otafest this year. Are any of the people here going?

Last edited:

KullaN_xo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5215-0584-6923
Cool! A $5 signup fee for an entire semester isn't too bad. And thank you I'd really like to go to SAIT haha

I mostly play Melee and Smash 4, however I have a fairly good understanding of Brawl and 64 as well. PM is something I've tried but never competitively. I've never been in a real tournament (Our public library hosted one that didn't have many great players) however I'm hoping to participate in the tournament during Otafest this year. Are any of the people here going?
To my knowledge Otafest hasn't been scheduled yet.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild

Otafest is probably the biggest major in Alberta, so basically everyone from Calgary and a lot of Edmonton players will be there. There's also the possibility of players outside Alberta coming (M2K came last year), but that isn't confirmed. Also, as KullaN_xo said, the tournament isn't confirmed yet, but it'll probably happen.

kithkin

Smash Champion
Also note, while everyone should support the club because it's awesome, people host weekly if not more elsewhere as well. There is plenty of smash that doesn't require a payment, however small it may be.

Regarding Otafest, I can tell you at the very least whatever will happen will happen on may long weekend =V

Troubled Fish

Smash Rookie
NNID
Deeboonie
3DS FC
3136-6693-6395
I just may be visiting Calgary this Friday, are any events/meetups planned?

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I'm gonna remake the AB thread so I can gain access to being the OP and so this thread can be forever archived :V.

7upjawa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
7upjawa
3DS FC
3823-8521-4588
Hi, Never been to a tourney, but been thinking about maybe going to some this summer/fall. I play fox/falco. You might see me.... IN THE FUTUREEEEEE!!! 20XX here I come.

Troubled Fish

Smash Rookie
NNID
Deeboonie
3DS FC
3136-6693-6395
Would anyone be interested in monthly Medicine Hat meetups? I attempted to host a tourney last weekend with only 9 people showing, but I know we have more smashers than that in the Hat. I'd really like to build up Medicine Hat's community to serve as a sort of bridge between cities in Southern Alberta. Our community here exists, but is a bit underdeveloped. Opinions on this and how I can improve?

7upjawa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
7upjawa
3DS FC
3823-8521-4588
Are there ever Tourneys in Red Deer? I mean it would make sense coz its between Edmonton and Calgary.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
There have been tournaments in Red Deer in the past back when I used to lived there, but ever since I moved to Edmonton the Red Deer scene has been more or less dead.

If you're interesting in running tournaments in Red Deer think we would be very receptive and supportive to that, because it is inbetween Edmonton and Calgary like you said

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
I swear I watched this thread, and it doesn't even give me notifications when people post. Smashboards' watching system sux.

Zorch

Smash Rookie
sup doodz

I'm gonna be moving to Lethbridge in about a week and I'm curious what the scene's like in southern 'berta

AoukA

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheEpicGlitch
Not to sound noobish but how do the SSBU (Edmonton) meetups work? Is it all year round, how much does it cost? Is it drop in or do you have to make a commitment?

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Not to sound noobish but how do the SSBU (Edmonton) meetups work? Is it all year round, how much does it cost? Is it drop in or do you have to make a commitment?
Hi. I don't live in Edmonton, but I can give you more information about their drop-ins.

First, basically everyone in Alberta has relocated to Facebook.
The general Alberta group is facebook.com/groups/albertasmash
The Edmonton group, which is also very active, is facebook.com/groups/edmontonsmash
The people in the Edmonton group may be able to give you more thorough answers to any questions you have.

Back to meetups, Edmonton to my knowledge is currently experiencing some room issues. There used to be meetups Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, but IIRC they are only officially on Saturday now. The schedule changes throughout the year, but it is year round. The Edmonton Facebook group cover photo shows the current meeting schedule. The meetups are completely free and are on a drop in basis. You can show up and leave whenever you'd like during the listed time.

Luminareo

Smash Rookie
Any update on the Edmonton meetups in the last three months? I realize there's a facebook group, but I really don't want to sell my soul to Zuckerberg just to ask this question. I'm looking for any kind of weekly/regular Smash meetups around U of A.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Any update on the Edmonton meetups in the last three months? I realize there's a facebook group, but I really don't want to sell my soul to Zuckerberg just to ask this question. I'm looking for any kind of weekly/regular Smash meetups around U of A.
What game do you play? Edmonton is currently in a rough spot with respect to meet-ups at the U of A due to storage issues. Smash 4 meetings still happen there, but Melee and PM events are now being hosted by community members at their homes, rather than the U of A.

Crusayer Crusayer if you still check this website you should add details if I missed any.

Luminareo

Smash Rookie
I have no competitive experience, but I think I'd be looking to try Melee. Can't imagine I'd ever be decent at 4 without a Wii U. :p If meetups are transient right now, I can wait until storage spaces issues get resolved. Another semester studying, then... ha.

I appreciate the quick response!

Last edited:

7upjawa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
7upjawa
3DS FC
3823-8521-4588
Hye i Really wanna start ebating you guys at smash. When are Calgary meetups. Also does anyone near RDC ever do anything, because thats just closer.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
I have no competitive experience, but I think I'd be looking to try Melee. Can't imagine I'd ever be decent at 4 without a Wii U. :p If meetups are transient right now, I can wait until storage spaces issues get resolved. Another semester studying, then... ha.

I appreciate the quick response!
I'll give you an update here once meet-ups start happening again for Melee.

Hye i Really wanna start ebating you guys at smash. When are Calgary meetups. Also does anyone near RDC ever do anything, because thats just closer.
Honestly, I would recommend going on Facebook if you use it. The community basically migrated there. =/
Page: facebook.com/ssbuniversity
AB Group: facebook.com/groups/albertasmash
Calgary Group: facebook.com/groups/calgarysmash

Calgary has 2 weekly meet-ups: one at MRU on Tuesdays and one at U of C on Fridays. The MRU meetings are in Wyckham House second floor from 6PM-10PM, and the U of C meetings are in MacHall from 6PM-10M. I've also attached our meeting schedule for October. Feel free to ask for more clarification on locations or other details.

What/where is RDC? Also, I would like to think the Smash community here isn't super free. =P

7upjawa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
7upjawa
3DS FC
3823-8521-4588
The college in Red Deer :p anyways, ill have to get facebook just for smash. thx

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Do I have to be going to Mru or U of C to join

If not, is there a certain age you have to be?
You don't have to be an MRU or U of C student, and there are no age restrictions. The only things are bring your own controller, and that the U of C club has a $5 membership fee which covers the whole school year (up to next September).

Just wondering, but which game do you mainly play?

Spencomatic

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spencomatic
You don't have to be an MRU or U of C student, and there are no age restrictions. The only things are bring your own controller, and that the U of C club has a $5 membership fee which covers the whole school year (up to next September).

Just wondering, but which game do you mainly play?
I mainly play with the wii u and have my own pro controller

Last edited:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Is a wired controller mandatory?
Not at the weekly meetings, but wireless controllers will be banned at the next tournament (Otafest Aurora). They're not usually banned at tournaments though. The TO doesn't like wireless controllers, but hopefully the ban will only be implemented for this particular event. >.>

Also, that's good to hear. The Smash 4 scene is pretty active in Calgary, and we've gotten 60+ entrants at our free weekly brackets at the U of C, and the next one is this Friday.

7upjawa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
7upjawa
3DS FC
3823-8521-4588
Is there like a website for the next Otafest smash event? They sound like they would be fun to get started with and im feeling confident in my fox to be able to not just get 2-0'ed twice in pools, but just get like 2-1'd then 2-0'd instead :p. Either way im fairly sure there is like weekly meetups at RDC which should be fun for me. Why am i on smashboards. I dont even check smash boads. Nobody checks smashboards. what is wrong with me.

Spencomatic

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spencomatic
Is there like a website for the next Otafest smash event? They sound like they would be fun to get started with and im feeling confident in my fox to be able to not just get 2-0'ed twice in pools, but just get like 2-1'd then 2-0'd instead :p. Either way im fairly sure there is like weekly meetups at RDC which should be fun for me. Why am i on smashboards. I dont even check smash boads. Nobody checks smashboards. what is wrong with me.
This is probably the closest thing you're going to get
https://m.facebook.com/events/889763961078523
Just scroll to the bottom and press more

Last edited:
Top Bottom