• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Yeah, which is as I said; if this community just sticks with smashfests over regular tournaments, the ELO system is useless since there's not enough competitive atmosphere.

Or even a ranking system at all in the first place lol.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
the smash aspect of what to do is super easy, and believe me I would, but you have to remember a lot of people have real life to deal with, as well as the implications of hosting.

100% honest, I can't host people who my parents don't know well unless it's 1 person alone. Thats just the breaks.

tl;dr I can't host smashfests, I just CANT. I'd love to, but I can't. As well as even if I could, school and works get in the way.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
100% honesty my parents were amazed at the tournament and will welcome guests they do not know because they trust my judgement. i have not met any person through this website my parents or i would have any problems with
that being said i can offer a venue for smashfests and small tournaments
i dont like organizing but im happy to answer calls or PMs
i would like to play more melee and 64 with the alberta commuinity

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
See, I'm in complete agreeance with that attitude and I would do the same, but my parents are just dumb lol

rk-9000

Smash Apprentice
Ok so, I've looked into a few things and i just might (emphasis on the might) be able to host something, I just need to know that there would be enough interest, there are some factors that need to be worked out though. I'll let you guys know how things unfold.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Are you talking about hosting a big tournament for us in Edmonton to come down too? Or are you talking about those biweeklies for Calgary?

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Sid omg please post the $2.50 one i've been waiting for that vid my entire life. I have a copy of the finals but they're kinda boring. I think it was the first time I beat mike in a tournament setting.

Brad I graduated in '08.

Steve I have no idea what happened.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Wasn't Victor thinking like Alberta bi-monthlies or something with the KSA?

but yeah I'm down for smash, I think I can get a lot better if I play you guys more

How bout you Ben? Any ideas? You could kick start the community in general for all 3 games since you aren't bias against them

I'm liking this Allan vs Brad business

it could grow into some intense close hype matches

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I texted Victor about that. He said he didn't know when to do it. He hasn't told us anything about it so it probably isn't gonna happen due to his time constraints or something.

I wish I could help but I have no idea how to go about doing so. I'll go take a look at the actual club sometime to see what's going on.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Are you talking about hosting a big tournament for us in Edmonton to come down too? Or are you talking about those biweeklies for Calgary?
Note how I always got ignored when I mentioned big tournament =V

Brad I graduated in '08.
Yeah, a year before me

I just had the biweeklies for Calgary in mind
I'll need to converse with you about this, later though

How bout you Ben? Any ideas? You could kick start the community in general for all 3 games since you aren't bias against them

I'm liking this Allan vs Brad business

it could grow into some intense close hype matches
Nah, I'll always trash allan =3

And as for Ben/Brawl he's actually got a lot going you should be proud, it's just nothing big yet

edit: as a general rule to anyone hosting smash or wanting to host smash, the only reason there is a current problem with smash regularity is not the interest, it's the effort. Nobody likes to travel beyond the train lines or often. Just a fact.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I was gonna note you had the big tournament covered if rk was gonna talk about a big tournament haha.

Taste

Smash Apprentice
you Ben? Any ideas? You could kick start the community in general for all 3 games since you aren't bias against them
As of late I have exercised bias. But that's only because if I don't do something about the Calgary Brawl community no one will. But things are looking up! we're having our first bimonthly this weekend and I'm expecting as many as 10+ ppl. That is, if Brad doesn't slack on his homework and manages to show.

edit: as a general rule to anyone hosting smash or wanting to host smash, the only reason there is a current problem with smash regularity is not the interest, it's the effort.
You right about the effort thing in a different sense. Someone here needs to make an effort to organize this stuff. You gotta communicate with EVERY melee player, and actually confirm their ability to attend a set date, not any of this wishy washy stuff with like 3 ppl the night before. Arthur, I think you'd be good at this, being in touch with so many ppl.

I also think it's important for us to try to grow our community a bit, so we gotta recruit. Once again, I've made an effort, so we may have some interesting opportunities headed our way:
-Space at Calgary Comic Con to set up Smash Bros
-Monthly smash tourneys, starting in march/april
-interest from that same company in running a larger scale smash tournament

I wanna see melee bimonthlies as well, but as you can see I've got my hands full. Someone else is gonna have to take the initiative

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
what do you meanby "big tournament"
the tourney i hosted is about a big as its going to get unless i added brawl and 64
if these are the kind of tourneys you mean i can host tourneys every once and a while
if i introduced a smallvenue fee of 5 or 10 i could host almost as many as i want
if you guys are ok with my basement as a venue
arthur has too many courses at shcool to be taking on any more responsibility i believe
if anyone wants to smashthis weekend i am EXTREMELY flexible on time

Tyson651

Smash Lord
What if there was a system for DOUBLES.

:p
edit: as a general rule to anyone hosting smash or wanting to host smash, the only reason there is a current problem with smash regularity is not the interest, it's the effort. Nobody likes to travel beyond the train lines or often. Just a fact.
like i said it would be great. i'd definitely play more smash if people hosted more often.

its basically what bread said anyway, the problem is that theres no effort for consistent smashfests or tourneys, and it makes the community die.

edit: thats why i wanna try my best to make it to this sunday's smashfest, but time is gonna be really tight cause i got 3 big things that are due around monday's time.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Yeah for Melee I think if we want to expand the community, we would need to get some casual Brawl players to try and play both

So I think the biweeklies/monthlies for Melee would have to be with Brawl as well, if we wanted more players and of the venue has enough space

in which case I would try my best to help, someone just tell me to do something

but the problem would be cause Melee is too elitist now, it's hard to get new people into the game

it might help if Ben plays Melee casually with the Brawl people, along with Tom, Daniel and people who are in transition, cause I dunno if the casuals playing against Paul would motivate them to play more seriously
:phone:

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
The big thing right now guys, is I'm trying to get SAIT to let us use one of their classrooms (since they'd be super perfect rooms) for bi-weeklie type set ups, but it's really hard to get a response. Otherwise I'd be already announcing it's all go and stuff cause it would be so easy to run them from SAIT

I was gonna note you had the big tournament covered if rk was gonna talk about a big tournament haha.
Yay!

That is, if Brad doesn't slack on his homework and manages to show

-Space at Calgary Comic Con to set up Smash Bros
-Monthly smash tourneys, starting in march/april
-interest from that same company in running a larger scale smash tournament

I wanna see melee bimonthlies as well, but as you can see I've got my hands full. Someone else is gonna have to take the initiative[/COLOR]
WOO SLACKING

Also, Yeah if I can make it comiccon and they let us I could easily run melee. I think getting word out at university/sait/MRU is good too. Might as well get some new faces.

if you guys are ok with my basement as a venue
I actually hate the location of your place. Thats the big problem lol. (but it would be just as bad as my house for you, I'm just saying, places not near trains are dumb)

I'll play brawl

all I ask is a small adjustment to their rules.

Ike and Ganon only
I like this

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Smash is from 1pm to 6pm or so tomorrow. I need 2 people to bring cubes so we have 4 setups.

Travis and Sebastian are confirmed, Stevo confirmed too. Dan? Tyson? Jarrett? Riley? Sid? Ron?

Tyson651

Smash Lord
dont think i can make it anymore.

hit a pretty big speed bump today and couldnt get enough finished so ill need sunday's time to finish things up by monday.

sorry guys, but after tuesday ill be a lot more free for sure.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Good games today everyone! well, the majority of people at my place today wont be reading this but w/e

Steve I wanna see you win the next tournament.

Top Bottom