• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
if you want to play wth me my evenings are free atm and i would travel down or host.
im pretty flexible but im not good enough for you to learn much.
can have additional people too.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
thats basically what I'm wanting to know, if it's edmonton or just calgary, cause that changes whether we need a place or just a house

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I don't see why would need a venue o_O It's not like there's even that many people lol

Stevo

Smash Champion
If I was going to a national I would make sure I play the game more than once every 3 months.
I wouldn't go all scrubby and out of practice.

I think I could make it out of pools

I would be surprised if Carl and Dan didn't make it out. Unless they got death pooled because people don't know who they are or whatever.

I was actually pretty good at this game when I went to OC2, but I didn't do as well as I should have because of nervousness. I only would get 2 stocked by M2k at the time lol.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Arthur, since you're so interested. Have you ever considered looking into the past of alberta smash?

A group known as punch crew from edmonton were actually well known across both canada and the states, they went to... some california tournament and I remember Mike(Monkey) being a huge hit and I want to say that I think he made it into bracket with DK.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
@Brad the tournament was called Game Over. I think they went to either MOAST or melee FC as well.

Sunday is go! start @1 go till 6 or 7. I'm trying to get some players out that don't get out often so there should be a variety of faces :)

Tyson you look alot more asian with long hair. I haven't seen you in a while though.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Ball of hair, brushing it from my face.

it doesn't matter what picture of me, if it's smash related. thats me

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
I dunno... first round pools at Apex was pretty damn hard already to get into top 2...

Ex. like Tang, PP, a scrub, a pretty good guy, and then another pretty good guy

And second round pools is like impossible

Shiz, Zhu, G$ = gg

LOL is that Carl in the blue shirt? He looks sub 16 years old lol

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
CAST 3 group shot :p

Man I have a ton of stuff from CAST 3 I should upload some of these vids. I have finals vids for both Singles (Carl vs Mike P) and Doubles (Stu+MikeP vs Carl+Shawn)

I also have a vid of Mike W and I pre-tourney, and of Joel telling Victor about $2.50. I'll post later :p

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
do you have the BP special?

edit: Arthur, I'm not doing much but just a thought, he would've had to be like 17-19 area at least.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
ya, i dont think i'll ever be growing my hair out as long as that anymore.

im out of that asian-ness phase.

if i have some time to spare, i'll probably drop by on sunday (got a lot of hw to do). oh boy, i cant imagine how rusty i'll be now.

I WANNA PLAY TEAMS :D

edit: nah, that tourney was about 5.5 years ago, i think summer of 2006. so that makes me 16, and makes carl 15 lol

dobbleedit: ya, joel and i won $5 TOTAL for 3rd place teams or something, so $2.50 each lol, not even enough to pay for our entrance fee.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
theres no way Carl was as old as me at that tournament

I graduated in 09' and that was my grade ten year, and it definately wasn't summer. Me and Levi were in classes

so late 06' was right I guess, but not summer

Tyson651

Smash Lord
All I remember was that it was sunny as hell while we were driving and there wasn't snow out lol.

:phone:

Stevo

Smash Champion
Game Over tournament was a good one. I learned a lot from those videos back then. I would have probably got stomped by Edmonton the first time I smashed with them if I hadn't have been up to date on smash vids. Which wasn't easy either. No Youtube smash vids back then. I treasured the good matches I had saved on my hard drive. I think I watched Ken vs. Azen from Game Over like 30 times each at least.

It seems crazy to me that so many people that smash now don't even know those days. I guess it has been many many years.
I remember finding out that Punch Crew lived in Edmonton. I decided I HAD TO go smash with them. I actually contacted Mike on DC++.
I remember talking with Carl on msn when he was like 14 years old or whatever. Seemed like a good kid. LOL WHAT HAPPENED?

or should I say WHA HAPPUN? I must admit, though he was a **** a lot, Aaron's antics spiced up smash back then. I still have Stupid Words combo video saved somewhere.

I'd say shorter hair looks best on Tyson.

I'd say Brad's hair looks best on Brad.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
XD Steve, so good.

Yeah I miss the old days, although they were not nearly as advanced as now, there was a lot more cohesiveness and just general epic moments like Carl Falcon punching Victor.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
one of the best moments during a tourney i've ever attended to.

victor trash talking carl, them meeting in the bracket, then carl falcon punching victor ftw looool

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Just going back to that ranking thing, would anyone care if i try to adopt that elo ranking thing for future tournies?

:phone:

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Elo is the rating system Chess uses. A lot of competitive games and related things would utilize this kind of rating system. I think starcraft uses it? It's like you have a number attached to your name and the higher the number, the better the player is on average. If a player that has a lower rating (ie, lower number) and beats a higher rating player, the lower player gains a bunch of points and the higher player loses some points. If the higher player wins, he'll gain a few points (scaled depending on the rating gap).

Now, I have no idea how it works right now in terms of raw calculations but I would be willing to put the time into making the system if people actually care.

Though to actually make this work, everyone needs to host more tournaments before you can get a more accurate display of who's better. It's a long term project you could say. This system thrives on competition so if we're still all oriented towards just smashfests, this is useless.

Idea taken from this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301546

I believe Florida already uses this system.

rk-9000

Smash Apprentice
Elo is the rating system Chess uses. A lot of competitive games and related things would utilize this kind of rating system. I think starcraft uses it? It's like you have a number attached to your name and the higher the number, the better the player is on average. If a player that has a lower rating (ie, lower number) and beats a higher rating player, the lower player gains a bunch of points and the higher player loses some points. If the higher player wins, he'll gain a few points (scaled depending on the rating gap).

Now, I have no idea how it works right now in terms of raw calculations but I would be willing to put the time into making the system if people actually care.

Though to actually make this work, everyone needs to host more tournaments before you can get a more accurate display of who's better. It's a long term project you could say. This system thrives on competition so if we're still all oriented towards just smashfests, this is useless.
pokemon tournies use this system, it seems to be pretty effective although i dont think ive ever heard of anyone using it in smash so that would be interesting to see if it would work

Tyson651

Smash Lord
idea is great

but nothing to support it. i doubt there will be any more tourneys than what it is now.

and no more competitive players too

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
No I mean, I know all that, Ironically all I was asking was what ELO stands for since nobody ever tells me.

But yeah LoL uses it too, but the thing is, where are you getting this from, like, why wouldn't we just use a ranking system that works. Cause smasher skill is so rediculously variant

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Huh. Come again?

You mean not use ELO and use a pre-existing ranking system? Or what are you saying lol

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Use a ranking system thats less absolute.

-> X is generally better than X

edit: tl;dr rankings don't actually work in a community this small and this unfrequent

Top Bottom