• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Man I feel terrible, that being said, I will make it next week if I can.

Besides, I need those guys to buff my tournament to the school =P

Quaff

Smash Rookie
Dead board is dead.
Can't wait for the next FGCC weekly on Thursday. Hopefully there's more setups for smash this time. I prefer singles over doubles, but a mix of both is nice.

Rush

Smash Apprentice
Yes, moar singles as I want to try to implement some new stuff...Anyways, have anyone considered Melee online using Dolphin? Although it will never be perfect, they are making some nice progress. I have a decent enough PC that I want to try it out in the near future.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Most people will opt out of online since because any lag just reduces fun by 1 billion percent, but I will agree they've come a long way.

I'd still rather just play in person.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
If people can play 64 netplay and if this eventually matches that, I don't see why not.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Most people will opt out of online since because any lag just reduces fun by 1 billion percent, but I will agree they've come a long way.

I'd still rather just play in person.
Man it's statements like these that really make me realize how spoiled we are as westerners :/.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Yes, moar singles as I want to try to implement some new stuff...Anyways, have anyone considered Melee online using Dolphin? Although it will never be perfect, they are making some nice progress. I have a decent enough PC that I want to try it out in the near future.
I want to use a controller

EDIT: Oh my god GC to PC adapters, I may never leave my house again

JKJK

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
If anyone wants to try pm with me online lemme knOw. I really do wanna try.

I actually didn't mind at all back when I played brawl, and I played a lot online lol

:phone:

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Woah holy ****!

Aight boys, Venue Confirmed.

Nov 10th at UofC in the empty space

edit: more details coming ASAP with a tournament thread and ****, but yeah I'm dealing with the Fighting Game club there

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
As for the venue cost question, right now the proposed costs are $5 entry, and $5 for each subsequent tournament. However right now they also are doing Melee and Brawl, so I'm hoping they'll let me bring in Project: M.

So stay tuned guys because date and venue is confirmed, but there is still work to be had.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
if Project M gets a good client, it good actually be decent, theres plenty of fine GC controller adapters, melee just isn't very versatile with clients whereas P:M might be eventually.

It would never be perfect, but it wouldn't bother too many people if they introduce it soon since because people are still adjusting to engine changes anyways

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
if Project M gets a good client, it good actually be decent, theres plenty of fine GC controller adapters, melee just isn't very versatile with clients whereas P:M might be eventually.

It would never be perfect, but it wouldn't bother too many people if they introduce it soon since because people are still adjusting to engine changes anyways
If you mean emulating on a computer, GC will probably be better than emulating a Wii.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=14992500#post14992500

Guys, tournament thread

As for project M, there is interest, but due to the fact that in UofC it is technically the lesser of all evils, we need confirmation of attendance and interest in order to actually offer it. The availability is easy, just an SD card, but we need people to say they want it and will deifnitely attend because we have to pay by the hour and without people, we can't afford infinity time.

thanks.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Wow it goes by hourly and only 6 hours to finish? Hope you guys will be VERY efficient in running both melee and brawl.

Unless you have a ton of setups, I doubt having a P:M side tournament would be viable at this point. Unless you meant to replace melee or something.

That or I hope the extension time isn't really expensive :x.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
UofC charges student groups to use rooms? Wtf. Idk, with all the anticipation I thought you'd find a venue we could use for a lot longer than 6 hours :/. Like yeah I want to come to calgary and play the melee players in bracket, but I was also interested in having plenty of time playing p:m as well, and now that doesn't seem likely.

Does this still have the interest of the rest of Edmonton?

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Oh I just realized with that kind of time constraint...

Is this tournament going to be straight bracket with no pools? >________>

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Wow it goes by hourly and only 6 hours to finish? Hope you guys will be VERY efficient in running both melee and brawl.

Unless you have a ton of setups, I doubt having a P:M side tournament would be viable at this point. Unless you meant to replace melee or something.

That or I hope the extension time isn't really expensive :x.
UofC charges student groups to use rooms? Wtf. Idk, with all the anticipation I thought you'd find a venue we could use for a lot longer than 6 hours :/. Like yeah I want to come to calgary and play the melee players in bracket, but I was also interested in having plenty of time playing p:m as well, and now that doesn't seem likely.

Does this still have the interest of the rest of Edmonton?
Oh I just realized with that kind of time constraint...

Is this tournament going to be straight bracket with no pools? >________>

First of all guys, please note I said once people actually show interest, we can extend the time, the problem is deposits have to be put in beforehand and if we only get like... 15 people, well I don't really think it's fair for me to put down $300 to extend the time if you guys arn't even gonna come, right? We have to be reasonable.

Beyond that, as for time, this is a one day event, I don't think that will change, but know that if you're in town, I'd love to smash sunday and can probably host a few people for the weekend anyways, so we'll have lots of smash. And if theres one thing being a smash veteran has taught me, is that me and Luke make an awesome team in Taboo.

As for pools, Honestly, we arn't the states, we don't have 200 people, we wouldn't have any kind of elimination from pools so I'd rather not have them and leave extra time for side events like crews and friendlies than to stress over pools that ultimately don't effect the bracket. Sound fair? I mean, let me know, I've just been pretty firm on pools being unneccesary for alberta for... years now.

Also seriously if you guys can confirm attendance I am putting down my own money as a gaurantee, Luke you've hosted a big tournament you know what it's like, and we're trying to keep prices low for you guys.

edit: Tl;dr thanks for voicing concerns, they have been answered.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
In other news guys

I just kinda started a business, for gaming media, and calgary gaming community stuff. I know only a few of you might care, but any support is appreciated since I've done everything for this from the ground up alone, and any support is good support

Check it out at www.smashlogic.ca

edit: this also means I'm hopefully gonna be hosting a lot more events, and a lot more will happen for smash and other games alike here in calgary

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Bracket only tournaments should only be used under tight time constraints. Putting in $10 to go 2 and out really sucks. Pools lets people play more but still have a serious match. Having less turnout is like even more incentive to do pools imo. Hell, if you have even lesser turnout, a huge round robin is probably the best option for everyone to play each other (ex: Melee-FCR).

The way you worded with how it would leave more room for friendlies sounds to me like this is just a giant smashfest with a tournament on the side.

But that's me, and I enjoy that competitive setting. And if that time constraint is really baring down on the event, well, bracket only would be the way to go then.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i thought the empty space was free? ben had the empty space multiple times, dont recall there being a time restraint, but we've played for more than 5 hours at a time.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
But that's me, and I enjoy that competitive setting. And if that time constraint is really baring down on the event, well, bracket only would be the way to go then.
I understand these concerns, and to an extent, I agree. However, it really all depends on turnout, the idea is to have a larger turnout, but we have to have people show interest first. Like, no offense, but rather than point out flaws, if people just were like "oh cool, I'm down" then we could have a much better chance of getting more time, and then bringing in things like pools etc.

Also, pools take a million years, seriously, if we want all three events and even a single person plays in more than one, we have to wait on them for... well forever, and like, it gets stupid. Trust me, I know from experience. If we can do pools, we will, but if you want serious matches and you don't last long in the tournament, play some MM's, Arthur loves penny MM's.

But yeah, I've noticed more people prefer time for friendlies over time for pools since pools means it's really restrictive. But again, we'll see, how about people show interest.

i thought the empty space was free? ben had the empty space multiple times, dont recall there being a time restraint, but we've played for more than 5 hours at a time.
See, heres the thing, It's not free, but clubs get budgets and cometimes the club paid for it for Ben, but for those who remember Ben owing a bunch of money (and thanks to those who helped him pay it back) because it isn't free.

But yeah we're getting more time, seriously, people, please read my posts since you're realisticly complaining to me, I'm telling you what to do to get more time.

edit: Sorry, maybe not complaining, but yeah, seriously, just post in the thread, say if you will go or not, and we'll get it extended.

Top Bottom