• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alaska's "Battle at the Last Frontier".

SimplyClutchh

Smash Rookie
Hey everybody!
I posted in the social thread a couple of months ago about a big local event happening here in the growing Alaska scene, and a couple of people were curious and wanted me to post vids and give an update. Battle at the Last Frontier was run by our local fighting game community. We had $1500 in cash prizes initially over multiple games, such as SFIV, MKX, Melee, PM, and SSB4. The cash prizes grew to $2390 total; SSB4 had 77 participants, $435 for 1st place, $174 for 2nd, and $131 for 3rd. I managed to get 3rd place out of the 77. Overall, this was an awesome event, and I'm glad my community is finally coming together to play some Smash4.

Pools:
Commentary was glitching up for pools, btw.

Top 3:

Some hype matches! There's a lot of things I'm looking to work on. I'd say I definitely need to work on edgeguarding the most. Relying too much on eruption while missing eruption (lol) won't cut it. I would've also picked BF/MV and D64 as stages more often, but we were banning two stages each pick. Any advice would be awesome! I also heard there were some crazy Melee and PM matches on the same channel, so feel free to watch those.

Edit: I also wanted to thank all of you guys in the Ike Boards! Without your guys' knowledge from the strategy and matchup discussions, I wouldn't have been able to make it that far.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I've only watched the first video in the top 3 but you got a pretty good Ike there. Eruption like you said were a bit hit and miss, seem to release it a bit too late. Try to hit them with the last lingering frame of Eruption instead of the first frame, that small difference should help landing it more often as it should beat the ledge snap that way or hit them during the few open frames of ledge snapping. Mixing in downtilted Ftilt and walkoff aerials for edgeguarding would be a good idea. Against Falco for example, early on you could have gotten him with a walkoff Bair into the stage.

Working Dash Attack better into your game would help a lot as well. Its pretty great now, kills and forces the opponent to respect you at mid. You then have two options at mid: PP Ftilt and Dash Attack. Just something to practice, you seemed a bit awkward with it the few times you did use it. You want to aim to hit with the tip of it: if they back up you should be safe, if they move forwards they get hit with a stronger part, if they shield they should be pushed back enough that you're still fairly safe, if they spotdodge they either get hit with a lingering frame or you should be safe, largely the same with forward roll.

Very good use of Ftilt and Fair in general. Maybe mix in a little bit more Uair for the platform pressure?

A bit more Jab as well. Its consistent now, might as well tack on that free damage while getting people out of your face. You were pretty good with the grabbing though outside of a few times when you Fthrowed instead of going for a Uthrow combo. It would have helped you a lot against DK, he has nothing faster than Ike's jab.

Strike Smashville. You won there against Falco, but in general SV is not a good Ike stage, not enough room to space and the early side blastzones don't help you as much as it does the opponent often, same with the platform. Should basically be the default ban stage outside of specific matchups. People also tend to default to there, so it can throw them off their game a bit. If at all possible: never go there.

Loved the Delfino combos, lol

Glad to hear a Ike is bringing in the results... even if its a region almost nobody follows, heh. Surprised you guys were able to get that many people up there, but its good to hear. Tell your area if they want more Ike hype they should turn on customs!

Also: tell those announcers that the wind on Dreamland 64 doesn't go off stage at all! Unless you want to keep that a secret so people don't think to strike the stage against you, in which case don't.

Last edited:

SimplyClutchh

Smash Rookie
Awesome, thanks for the advice! I'm going to be hitting the lab as soon as I can to practice pretty much everything you just said. Especially dash attack spacing and adding more jabs, since I never really got around to fully practicing Ike's new strengths from the 1.08 patch.

I'm actually pretty surprised we got that many people to join also. But I think the community is still growing even bigger, and will hopefully continue to grow a bit bigger through word of mouth from those people that came.

I'm probably not going to give much info to the commentators lol. Those guys are top 5 and top 10 here, and they're doing their best to dig up as much info on Ike as they can, especially since my Ike is getting pretty notorious in my area. Gotta keep myself and my info as low key as possible!

Again, thanks! These tips really help a lot. I'm aiming for that number one spot next time.

Top Bottom