• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
2nd and Charles in Hoover. They ran a tourney about a month ago and if you get the ok from them I'd be glad to help you run it.

The thing about a PR in AL is that Northamd South Bama barely collide. I know it's dumb to make to separate PRs but...

Child Star

Smash Ace
I think that there should be regional PRs if any, it'd make sense if the rankings consisted of people that played more than 4 times a year. I also like the idea Russ mentioned with the challenge system, but itd be dumb to be ranked and have to field challenges from thirsty contenders.

powergamer

Smash Apprentice
yeah each area in alabama should make there own PR and we just have it presented like that

or we do tier list PR which gives room for alot more error/inaccuracy without it being too all over the place and still be able to decently represent where people are in relevance to one another

NNID
MasterIcarus7
I think that there should be regional PRs if any, it'd make sense if the rankings consisted of people that played more than 4 times a year. I also like the idea Russ mentioned with the challenge system, but itd be dumb to be ranked and have to field challenges from thirsty contenders.
2 prs, are you trying to kill me?! Plus, how would we separate the regions evenly? I'm down for the more than 4 ruling, but I probably won't implement it for a while. My main goal with these rankings is just to create ways to see your skill level, and to create a way to seed brackets efficiently and accurately.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Aren't you going back to school? But if you're staying in Bham now I can def practice with you a lot more.

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
given there aren't many people playing in montgomery, i'd think i'd be a suitable place to hold an event where each of these regions in bama collect since it's in the center of the state.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I'm not big on the process of creating rankings,but if anything it should without a doubt be the tier list format or regional PR's and no state-wide PR's. If I had to pick the between the two we should do the tier list because of what mah boy Power said about it allowing more inaccuracy. If I had to put in my word, I think we should do a top 10-15, with 15 being the absolute max. That way some folk can't really argue over saying they should get 5th instead of 6th, because odds are they'll be in the same tier, if my idea seems flawed please speak freely, like I said I'm not big on creating rankings.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Most likely. Like if we get interest in going I will try harder to save.

Alabama itself isn't that big ifs state. If we do split and go for regional PRs there's no point it in going passed 10 for either one. We might maybe be able to do top 15 if it's the entire state, but then do you think we actually have 15 notable players (notable as in outside of AL they will be a force)? This goes for all games.

NNID
MasterIcarus7
Most likely. Like if we get interest in going I will try harder to save.

Alabama itself isn't that big ifs state. If we do split and go for regional PRs there's no point it in going passed 10 for either one. We might maybe be able to do top 15 if it's the entire state, but then do you think we actually have 15 notable players (notable as in outside of AL they will be a force)? This goes for all games.
What's wrong with my system? I see it as accurate, and non-discriminate. If we decide to split into regions, we will have no way to judge a mobile player against a player from Tuscaloosa. A tier list would be difficult to run, and would not be accurate for seeding purposes.

Last edited:

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
I'll have to start saving. also, personally sorry that i can't make it out to these tourneys outside of auburn, my funds are just too low all the time.

powergamer

Smash Apprentice
because a system like that in practice doesnt work

Do you account for who players lost to in a bracket as well as placement? player A who finished 9th and had to play joot and moogle isnt necessarily at the same level as player B would finished 9th and played Johnny Donut and Scrub McGee.

What about players who frequently travel outside of alabama to compete? Player ranking is more than just how they place among people in their state. People in north alabama likely go to tennessee, people in east alabama frequently travel to georgia (which we do) and people in south alabama go to florida. All the results from these tournaments that contain alabama players go to influence seeding and PR spots and realistically you will most likely never see them unless you are actively collecting results every weekend. On top of that, different states will be stronger than others and Alabama as well, how do you weigh that in ranking players? You better believe placing top 8 at a large florida local means alot more than placing top 8 at a large missisippi local.

Seeding for tournaments really isn't that huge of a deal, most of the time the top 8-16 are seeded fairly well (mostly) and the rest are random because for players outside of the top 13 range at most alabama tournaments that are 30-60 players (which are most) the variance is much higher in their placings which says to me seeding past 16 or so won't have too much affect.

Your concept for this is one of merit but when it comes down to it having an elo-like system based solely on placement based on number of entrants only goes so far. If you can create a system that accounts for the mass amount of factors (even more than the few i mentioned) that actually works then more power to you, but I dont think you will, not because i dont think you have the drive in you, but because it is too unrealistic of an "automatic" system to create on ones own.

Last edited:

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
given there aren't many people playing in montgomery, i'd think i'd be a suitable place to hold an event where each of these regions in bama collect since it's in the center of the state.
That's what pretty much everyone has been saying since '09. Too bad no one plays smash in state's second largest city and it is a black hole where they all suck corn and smell like hot dog water.

What's wrong with my system? I see it as accurate, and non-discriminate. If we decide to split into regions, we will have no way to judge a mobile player against a player from Tuscaloosa. A tier list would be difficult to run, and would not be accurate for seeding purposes.
The problem is that you system is not as accurate as you think it is. I just made 110 points for coming in second at a tournament where no one was good. That probably puts me above Tope, Ajred and Roboturner, of whom I struggle to take games off. It doesn't account for J00t or Reflex or Rag, who could show up to most tournaments and walk away with easy money. It also ranks out of stater's in an Alabama PR. RAM is moving to California in 2 weeks. And, even though I'm all for rewarding tournament attendance, your system basically assures anyone who can make more events huge chunks of points.

Honestly though, the individual ranks are extremely arbitrary. There is no way I can say I am better or worse than Spade. The last time we played was probably a year and a half ago, so my position relative to him cannot possibly be absolutely defined. I don't think numbers exist in the same space as a tier list. We are not robots and our gameplay changes every time we pick up the controller.

As it's been said before, our state is too decided for any kind of unified PR, but if we were going to pursue one I would probably just go with a tier list. It's the most arbitrary and is better at getting the point across that these sets of players are somewhere near the same skill level without implying that we know exactly where any one player sits.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Personally, I'd be in favor of a point based, voting system. We all have a general idea of about 15 players who would make a PR list. As long the comity isn't too much in favor of one region it should be fair enough. Still, at this point there's no reason to make a state-wide PR list if we aren't playing against each other.

The best thing we could do is probably pick 6 players from the north and the south and have them be recognized. Like I just said we know who are the people to beat. Having a large number of people on our PR list dilutes its meaning.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
If I could get a venue in Montevallo, do you think we could get all of AL to come? It would probably on the 15th of August if I do it.

Top Bottom